Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
EBay Vent

Not looking for empathy here, just wanted to share my story to see if anyone here has had a similar experience.

Firstly, I have used EBay extensively since 2001 for buying and selling stuff. Only had one other issue ever, but it was resolved quickly. I have a 100% satisfaction rating in the community.

I was selling a higher-end PC video card (EVGA GTX 560) that I had used for 2 years in my own PC. I upgraded to a GTX 780, so I decided to sell the 560 on EBay.

A gal bought it, and contacted me shortly after receiving it. She stated that the computer shop that was doing the installation said the card wouldn't work. I gave her some instructions, and she said sure enough, they forgot to connect one of the power connectors. I warned her that the card could get damaged if that wasn't corrected right away. She said it was working great after reconnecting.

4 weeks later, she said it had stopped working, and all connections are good. Long story short, the card was burned up.

This ad was an AS-IS sale. She wanted a refund. I told her no, citing that the incorrect installation may have created the issue, and that I would only allow a refund within 7 days of receipt, as my ad stated. We were well beyond that.

She filed a resolution claim with EBay. Immediately, the full amount of the funds she'd paid me were place on hold during this process. Long story short, EBay awarded her the refund in full. I contested it, they reopened the case, and even though I provided all of the emails showing she admitted to incorrect installation, no refund after 7 days, etc., I lost a second time.

Was I out of line? Anybody else gone through this? I feel that I got hosed on this one.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
No the damage was caused by her so not your problem. I've gone through something similar with eBay in the past when selling a cellphone for my company. You got hosed and not a thing you can do about it really. You can try contacting eBay over and over, but nothing may come of it. eBay really isn't all that fair or informed on a lot of products sold.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
130R

Drives: SS
This is exactly why I stopped selling on eBay…

I sold an expensive camera body on eBay for $4800.00. The camera was in mint condition. The buyer, who had 0 feedback, said he used the camera for a wedding after receiving it, and it took great pictures, but claimed there was ~$1500.00 worth of damage to the camera when he received it, and only wanted $800.00 toward repairs.

I said: "NO WAY", and he filed a dispute.

This guy said he worked for a camera site, and as such, had access to other cameras. His evidence was a video tape, with multiple edits, of "a camera". Even though the serial number of the camera I sold him was clearly visible on the back of the camera, the video never showed the serial number of the camera in the video.

Something in the video caught my eye; a knob on top of the camera had white hash marks. No Nikons have white hash marks on the knobs. I searched Google, and the only camera I found that had the same white hash marks, was on his website, and obviously, it wasn't the camera I sold him…

eBay told me I would have to take the camera back or give him the $800.00 he wanted. I didn't want the camera back as I was afraid he would damage it and I'd be screwed, so I agreed to give him $300.00, and he took it.

CLEARLY this was a scam; he just wanted the camera for a better price.

Who would take $300.00 if there was really $1500.00 worth of damage on a camera they just paid $4800.00 for??? Would you???

eBay is known to favor buyers. I learned this after my experience. Google "eBay favors buyers" and read all the horror stories…

Despite me having over 80 transactions at the time and 100% feedback, eBay found for a buyer with 0 feedback who was obviously scamming me.

It's been 3 years and I haven't sold anything on eBay since...
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
HookemHorns

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot Convertible
I chose not to do business with ebay or PayPal...If I'm selling or buying, it is local now unless it is a business. Too many crooks online.
HookemHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
The dealership I work for sells some parts on Ebay.

A guy bought a complete brake job for his M5. Front and rear rotors, pads, sensors... everything. Over a grand.

A month later he contacts us saying he's going to return items because they were defective. We said, sure go ahead, we'll look into it once we get the returns back. The next day there's a dispute for the entire transaction. We get the parts back and in the box is HIS OLD ROTORS AND PADS, and sensors from an AUDI. (4 rings on them and everything)

Ebay ruled in HIS FAVOR, saying that we sent him "defective" items.

There's no way to win as a seller on Ebay. It's a damn joke.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
strych9
I'll be back...

You guys are not instilling any confidence in me toward selling there again, ever. Wow.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
I am very careful what I sell on there if anything. You should be able though to open a dispute if the item is not the same.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Dwarfey

Drives: 2011 1LT A/T Black w/ Red Stripes
eBay sides with the buyer like 99.99% of the time. So if they open a case, you best get that garbage fixed or eBay is just gunna take you down. If the OP's case happened on Craigslist.... Yea that gal ain't getting her cash back.
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust -Painted Red Racing Stripes -Volant Cold Air Intake -Painted Red Interior Accents -Anzo Projector Headlights w/ Oracle White/Red Halos -Black Bowties -Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub w/ 1000W Kenwood Amp
-ZL1 Spoiler - Gloss Black Powder-coated 20" SS Wheels
Dwarfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Not looking for empathy here, just wanted to share my story to see if anyone here has had a similar experience.

Firstly, I have used EBay extensively since 2001 for buying and selling stuff. Only had one other issue ever, but it was resolved quickly. I have a 100% satisfaction rating in the community.

I was selling a higher-end PC video card (EVGA GTX 560) that I had used for 2 years in my own PC. I upgraded to a GTX 780, so I decided to sell the 560 on EBay.

A gal bought it, and contacted me shortly after receiving it. She stated that the computer shop that was doing the installation said the card wouldn't work. I gave her some instructions, and she said sure enough, they forgot to connect one of the power connectors. I warned her that the card could get damaged if that wasn't corrected right away. She said it was working great after reconnecting.

4 weeks later, she said it had stopped working, and all connections are good. Long story short, the card was burned up.

This ad was an AS-IS sale. She wanted a refund. I told her no, citing that the incorrect installation may have created the issue, and that I would only allow a refund within 7 days of receipt, as my ad stated. We were well beyond that.

She filed a resolution claim with EBay. Immediately, the full amount of the funds she'd paid me were place on hold during this process. Long story short, EBay awarded her the refund in full. I contested it, they reopened the case, and even though I provided all of the emails showing she admitted to incorrect installation, no refund after 7 days, etc., I lost a second time.

Was I out of line? Anybody else gone through this? I feel that I got hosed on this one.
Did eBay make them return the item first?
TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
strych9
I'll be back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmokingSuns View Post
Did eBay make them return the item first?
Yes, they did. It was clearly burnt on the board. Had it been received by the buyer that way, it would never have worked.