Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
AWS-GTAW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss M6
Sway Bars Coilovers Void warranty?

Aloha,

I planning on upgrading my Camaro's suspension when it arrives from order.

I am looking to get upgraded swaybar and end links, also possibly a coilover kit. Does anybody know if these mods would void the factory warranty? What suspension mods are allowed to be done and still have the warranty honored?

Thanks
AWS-GTAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
Stevo

Drives: Camaro 2010 SIM
I blew out the left rear shock doing a road course in my V6. I didn't know it at the time but since the car would not turn right too well I got Eibach sway bars. During the install the bad shock was found. I phoned my Chevy Dealer that day and he told me that I would void my warranty on the suspension if aftermarket stuff was on it. I took my rear Eibach bar off and put the stock bar back on. When I took it in they agreed to replace the shock. I now have choices;
1. Keep it all stock and save money
2. Modify it all, spend money and have it the way I want it.

Good luck
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
They cannot void your warranty!. the Magnesson Moss Act, a federal law, controls this. Now if there is a problem that they can prove was a direct result of a failure, then yes.

Pedders will have some info available soon I hope for the Camaro community and GM warranty.

So If you have sway bars added and a front OE shock leaks, then this would not be a legitimate reason to deny warranty.

Adding drop coils and having a strut fail, could be legitimate reason to deny the strut. But also, I believe it is mentioned in your warranty manual, racing will void your warranty.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
If all you have is the standard 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty all it covers is internally lubricated parts. None of your suspension or chassis is covered.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Everything on the Camaro, well nearly everything, is covered for a 3/36

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Saving41

Drives: IBM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I blew out the left rear shock doing a road course in my V6. I didn't know it at the time but since the car would not turn right too well I got Eibach sway bars. During the install the bad shock was found. I phoned my Chevy Dealer that day and he told me that I would void my warranty on the suspension if aftermarket stuff was on it. I took my rear Eibach bar off and put the stock bar back on. When I took it in they agreed to replace the shock. I now have choices;
1. Keep it all stock and save money
2. Modify it all, spend money and have it the way I want it.

Good luck
Funny,
I had the same thing on my SS. Left side shock was leaking oil badly with about 1,500 miles on the clock. This was found when I was changing the springs / swaybars. It was the last spring to be installed. Didn't want to uninstall the new stuff and then have to put it back on after the warrenty work was completed. ( I was told that my warrenty would be voided also by the service writer). So, I just got a replacemant shock from a forum member here!
Saving41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
thalilbear02

Drives: Searching for 6th Gen 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
They cannot void your warranty!. the Magnesson Moss Act, a federal law, controls this. Now if there is a problem that they can prove was a direct result of a failure, then yes.
+1

He speaks the truth
Old 01-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
only non original parts would not be covered. if any other original parts fail they need to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure. you just need to find a dealer that is friendly with a modified car. mines lowered, s/c, long tubes, custom paint and upholstery and have had no problems. been in 3 times for warranty work and no issues. it's a good idea to build a good relationship with your advisor and service manager. i have 3 heavily modified gm vehicles, 2 under warranty and they always have taken good care of me.
urr2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
camaro4rr

Drives: 2010 inferno orange SS2 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
only non original parts would not be covered. if any other original parts fail they need to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure. you just need to find a dealer that is friendly with a modified car. mines lowered, s/c, long tubes, custom paint and upholstery and have had no problems. been in 3 times for warranty work and no issues. it's a good idea to build a good relationship with your advisor and service manager. i have 3 heavily modified gm vehicles, 2 under warranty and they always have taken good care of me.
This is true I modified my chevy truck and when I took it in for service they said they were told by Chevy to let them know if a vehicle came in with any mods. The dealer said he did not care just wanted to let me know.
camaro4rr is offline   Reply With Quote