Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
A young boy and the IROC, how it all started.

This is my journal. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read over my journey that led me to love the F-body GM cars.

As of now, July 2010, I am 33 years old and my love for cars began when I was all of 3 seconds old. Listening to the stories my mom tells everyone, I must have really been obsessed at such a tender age. No one can figure how. My family wasn’t into cars. We didn’t have any nice cars. No one took me to car shows. It just sort of happened. But what really did it for me happened in 1989.

As I said, we never had any nice cars, mostly trucks and a beater car. Well, my parents split when I was 13, in 1989. Soon after the split, my dad mentions to me one day that he was thinking about getting a Z28… SWEET!

Now in 1989, a Z28 was infact an IROC~Z, pretty much the baddest car on the road. So on June 2, 1989 my dad takes delivery of a 1989 IROC~Z, 350 tpi in bright blue metallic. Damn it was stunning. I have so many fond memories of that car and as a teenager about to turn 16 I was dead set certain that I was getting that car when I turned 16… Fat chance. Traded in December 1991 for a 1992 Sonoma. WTF. The seed was planted.

A little time passes and I turn 18. A few hand me down Cavaliers later and I decided it time to get a Camaro. It’s spring 1995, I am a senior in high school and after a few test drives I decide on a 1985(ish) Berlinetta. 305 V8, ttops and the spaceship dash to match! It was pristine car. I actually wish I still had it but not knowing anything about the Berlinetta, I sold it after about 4 months of ownership. It just was not the 89 IROC. The seed is dying off... :(

A lot of time passes… graduate high school, graduate college, move to southern Ohio and start my career. Went through several nice cars along the way… turbo DSMs, Miata, C5 Corvette, RX~8…etc. but never a new Camaro. I looked a few 4th gen SS and WS6 cars but never got one.
All this brings us to January 2007 when I met Kristen. A nice southern girl, farmers daughter… literally. She drives a 2500 diesel truck and lives in the sticks… AWESOME! I had had it with city-type materialistic women anyhow. So we go out on a few dates when one day we are driving along when out of the blue she asks if I could have one old car, what would it be? Easy, a 1st gen Camaro. She replies ME TOO! Second seed planted.

That summer we decide we are going to get a 1st gen to fix up. After looking at a few cars we decide on a 1967 Butternut Yellow coupe. It’s rough, real rough but we see the potential. We buy it and begin working on it until about August 2008 when we just got burned out and thought the car wasn’t worth saving.

Where we stopped in August 2008:

In the meantime I had something else to keep me occupied. Remember that 89 IROC? Well I mention to Kristen that I wanted to buy a Camaro EXACTLY like my dad’s was. 350, bbm, no ttops. I find one in California and see if she interested. She gives me the nod but says before you do, why don’t you try to find the ORIGINAL one. I basically blew it off but she said try it, if it fails, buy the one in Cali. OK, so I decide to try.

Monday morning: I need a VIN!

Call BMV. They won’t give me anything but tell me to have my father come in and they will give him the VIN

Call my dad to get the VIN. He doesn’t have it. Tell him to go to BMV. He says he will tomorrow. DAMN.

Dad calls back 20 minutes later with VIN. Insurance company still had it. SWEET!

Carfax… wow, this is interesting to say the least. Pretty much incident free.
12/23/91 – title transferred – we traded it this day.
3/5/92 – vehicle offered for sale – 22,515 miles.
3/18/92 – new owner
Now get this… next record:
5/22/2001 – title updated, new address – 35,860 miles
This is looking good. Last entry:
6/22/2005 – title transferred to West Virginia. No mileage reported.

Call WVBMV. They won’t tell me squat except the car has current tags.

RecordsArea.com… With the WV title # that CarFax gave me, I had it all… Name, address, EVERYTHING!

So… In 4 hours I had a name, a number and a location of the car I had growing up.

I made the call, made the deal and made the trip to WV a week later.

August 2, 2008, Camaro #2 in the garage. Current mileage about 87,000. Pretty much bone stock with the exception of the K&N filters I put in and the Flowmaster exhaust someone put on. It still has the stage 2 chip my dad put in! Ownership has not been trouble free. It left me stranded in Lexington, KY with a blown tranny on the Powertour but that’s fixed.

A little more time passes and its October 13, 2008. We all know why that date is important. I remember it was a Monday, a holiday so I was off work but she wasn’t. I thought about saying screw it, I am ordering one but we were currently the owner of a 2007 C6. Trading was not really an option as we’d likely take a bath so we decided not to order.

May 2009. The V6 lot cars hit. We test drove a 1LT/RS auto. Victory Red. We ordered 2 days later. After going around and around on colors the SIM just spoke to us. May 23rd, 2009, 1100 status, zero allocations for 4 weeks.

June 2009. Kristen and I get hitched June 27, car goes to 2000 June 26th! What a great Wedding gift! Estimated time of delivery, maybe September… Thought about renting a Camaro for the wedding but it wasn’t worth it. One last go-round for blackie…

Can’t leave the IROC out…

This pic is actually in blown transmission status. All I had was reverse and first, enough to get it out, snap the shot and put it back.

July 2009. Tracking Camaro daily. TPW 8/3/09. July 13th sold Corvette outright to first person to look at it… SWEET!

August 3, 2009… Canada Day, plants closed… DOH!
August 4th, nothing.
August 5th, 3800, 4B00, 4200! The car hit Dearborn, MI on August 5th.
August 13th, 5000, 6000!

Between August 2009 and now I have done some well needed mods which are listed below and I must say I absolutely love the car. Since getting it, the 89 doesn’t get driven much. It did get to go to a cruise with all its brothers a few weeks ago though.

As for the 67, well this month that project has been revitalized. I moved it to the house from the barn and I am going to actually finish this project after being dormant since August 2008.

I am going to give it to my wife when it’s done. She deserves it. She is my love and my life. Without her I would be nothing. Not to mention she is the reason I have the 67 and the 89. I pretty much took charge of the 2010 even though she did pick everything… even the M6 yet she never drives it.

Well thanks for reading and check back for updates on any of the cars.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
SupremacyCustoms

Drives: black 2010 2ss/rs camaro
Very nice have fun we are about to start wok on an 86 iroc i think we are going to go a little crazy with it.
SupremacyCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
nice story!! i liked it man!
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote