Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
marcao

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
*UPDATE* Has anyone have their front end replaced and/or repainted??? Paint issue...

I had an incident with my car the other day (I hit a porcupine) and broke my front end. I had to get it replaced and painted by my dealership body shop. The job turned out pretty good, until I looked at my car in direct sunlight. My car is IOM, and the front was clearly more orange/yellow than the rest. So I took it back to my dealership, and they told me that they would paint it 20 times, it would be different each time. They then showed me some cars that showed differences in colors from the factory. A white Cadillac for instance. But I told them there was no way I was going to keep my car like that. They'll have to do something. A couple days later, my dealership calls me to tell me that their paint representative was there and wanted to see my car. I gladly took it there and the guy agreed that the color was not matching. They agreed to a repaint and called me a few days later to show me some tests they had done with the paint. I asked a few questions, and they answered nicely sharing some knowledge about car painting. Indeed I learned a few things. One of them being that the material on which the paint is applied has a lot to do with the reflectiveness of the paint. For instance, depending on the angle of the light, the color on my front end was more yellowish than the hood or fender, like I said earlier. And it really didn't look good at certain time of day. So they agreed to repaint everything for a 2nd time. Before putting the bumper back into place after this 2nd paint job, the painter called me to have a look. I just come back from there, and the result was really disappointing. So much so that they'll redo the job for a 3rd time, modifying once again the paint receipe to bring my bumper closer to the original paint. I'll see tomorrow what they achieved. My paint guy also sent a report to the paint company asking them to find a solution (he told me that they suggested to him to blend the paint on the fenders... he said WHAT??? there is no way I am touching the fenders - he and I had talked about that previously, and we agreed that this was not an option, so I think I can trust the guy, but I should be cautious with the paint company...).

So has anyone experienced something similar? Am I dealing with competent people? Or is color difference something I will have to learn to live with?

Another question. Why don't GM send prepainted replacement parts? If my bumper was color matching from the factory, the replacement part would also match if it was factory painted???

Awww... this is really annoying.

Sorry for the long read people. But please let me know your thoughts.

***UPDATE***
Well, for those who read this thread and are interested in the outcome, I have good news -- at least for me. My painter proceeded to a 3rd try on my front fascia, using the same specs he used the 1st time (i.e. the GM mixing formula). He told me he just shoot it differently. I don't exactly know how differently he did it, but I know my front end looks really good now. I looked at it at different angles and under different kind of lightings, and I wouldn't say it is a perfect match since I don't think you can achieve perfection in that kind of process, but I would say it is real close to a perfect match. I'm really happy with the final result. I'll post pics soon to show you the new look of my car, because with the new paint, came a new grill, the Heritage Grille. And I think it makes my car looks real good.

So thanks everyone for your concern and comments. And remember, if you ever have to get a paint job on your car, pick a reliable shop, and make sure they do the job according to your expectations.

Last edited by marcao; 07-11-2010 at 11:28 PM.
marcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
MaroSS
ZL1

Drives: 10' SS/RS - Sold; 15' White ZL1
omg this is a horror story. Really sorry this is happening to you. It sounds like they are getting the paint colors wrong though or can't get ahold of them and they just don't want to tell you.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
no, even if the factory painted another bumper, it wouldn't match perfectly. it's because of the metallic part. i think the dealership so far has treated you right and are doing the best they can to match the paint.

look at other IOM camaro's at the dealership in the sunlight, and you should notice the front bumper doesn't match perfectly to the rest. I can even tell with my cgm.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
MaroSS
ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
no, even if the factory painted another bumper, it wouldn't match perfectly. it's because of the metallic part. i think the dealership so far has treated you right and are doing the best they can to match the paint.
oh dang thats crazy. Glad I went Black ... can't go wrong with that lol (Sorry OP) but yeah I say the best you can do is get it painted as closely as possible to originial and im sure only you would directly notice the difference even though it will haunt you forever :(
Old 07-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Lurker67

Drives: Toyota Tundra
Paint can also vary in color by thickness of application. I learned that on Ultimate factories. That is one of the reasons they have robots do the work. They lay a perfectly even coat.
Status: (3000) Order Accepted by Production Control - May 20,2010
TPW: 6/14/10
Status: (3300) Order Scheduled for Production - May 26, 2010

Lurker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Actually if they repainted it 20 times, it would be the SAME all 20 times. GM has a formula for that paint with 0 deviation in the mixing of it. If it is mixed properly, it will NEVER be different. We have painted IOM already, so I'm not guessing. And actually a repainted front nose came out to be a better match than what was on it from the factory.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
sorry for your luck man, i had to replace the whole front end but my dealers body shop did a great job on everything including the paint... so i don't really have anything to say other than i hope you get it fixed and up to your standards. don't give in its your car and not cheap keep on them until its good.

and in my opinion be careful how much you trust the paint guy... he has tried to let the car leave the shop twice with incorrect paint matching. if he was that good he would have said the paint didn't match and needed to get fixed he is a professional he must have seen that the color was off... just my $.02
Rockin the BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
MaroSS
ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
Actually if they repainted it 20 times, it would be the SAME all 20 times. GM has a formula for that paint with 0 deviation in the mixing of it. If it is mixed properly, it will NEVER be different. We have painted IOM already, so I'm not guessing. And actually a repainted front nose came out to be a better match than what was on it from the factory.
I knew it!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
I'm not sure how this is possible with metallic paint. with the metallic flakes, how could you even match it with the rest of the car?

Also, to the OP, the comment about being painted on different surfaces causing different shades is correct. That's the reason it comes off a little different from the factory.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
marcao

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Scott, I believe what you say. One more question I'll ask you or anyone that can help. The painter showed me tests he made with GM paint formula. Some on metal. Others on plastic. And with the same paint, same gun, the final color was not the same depending on the base material. Why? Does it have to do with the mix he made? Does he wrongly follow GM specifications? Or does the material on which the paint is applied really make a difference?
marcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcao View Post
Scott, I believe what you say. One more question I'll ask you or anyone that can help. The painter showed me tests he made with GM paint formula. Some on metal. Others on plastic. And with the same paint, same gun, the final color was not the same depending on the base material. Why? Does it have to do with the mix he made? Does he wrongly follow GM specifications? Or does the material on which the paint is applied really make a difference?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42941

Old 07-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
I had a similar issue...I lost a battle with a pothole I have CGM. I noticed a slight variation from the bumper to the fender. I was told the same thing....paint it 20 times and 20 different variations. It has been a month since I got her back and no one notices the difference but me. Hopefully they'll work it out for you.
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Yep, i was in an Accident, and i had the Bumper and Fender replaced/re-painted.. and they couldnt even get the same colour BLACK... /facepalm. The repaired sides are now a bit more Bluer than the rest of the car >_>
Old 07-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
R Kern
NFRNO SS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS M6
From the factory, my IOM nose section appears slightly lighter than the hood. It is hardly noticeable, unless you really look close at the dividing line between the parts. This is under any type of light, also. The rear section matches pretty close. Maybe the different material theory might be correct.