Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
VictoryRed08

Drives: 08 Cobalt LT2,
Twin Turbo Camaro

Hey Guys,

I just watched this video on youtube which seems pretty legitimate (did I just say that?). It's a G8 GT with that had a Twin Turbo dropped in it, new exhaust and tires and it dramatically affected the car's hp and quarter mile time.

Check it out (they dyno it also):

Now I love my cars but mechanically, I'm nowhere near educated as some of you on here. What's the possibilities and limitations of doing this for the camaro? Is this even possible of the V6? Or just pointless. I don't know, enlighten me.

Victory
Old 04-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
With enough money anything is possible .. Usually companies will come out with kits that are made for the cars .. I know APS got 530rwhp out of a G8 GXP on 6psi (TURBO) ..

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13869

Crowley ...
Old 04-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am

I know not ls3 l99 related
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Old 04-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Yes. There's no reason you can't do it. To even get started, expect to spend around $8k and if nothing goes wrong during the build, you'd be rocking socks.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Turbo is a ton of fun on a torquey V8, but as MerF said, be sure that you have the financial means to do it. The parts/kits are expensive, installation will be expensive, you'll go through more gas, and you'll have maintenance issues. Generally I would say a turbo LSx car is for folks rich enough to pay someone else for every issue without worrying about it, or the moderately well-off who are good mechanics to work on it themselves.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Yes. There's no reason you can't do it. To even get started, expect to spend around $8k and if nothing goes wrong during the build, you'd be rocking socks.
Do what? Put a TT on the V6? Because i think the dudes asking if he could put THAT twin turbo thats in the video on the V6, and i dont think so. Its designed to mount on the V8. And correct me if im wrong, but i havent heard of anyone offering a TT for the V6 just yet.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:00 AM   #8
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
The engine (LLT) probably wouldn't mind a moderate turbo setup in the ball park of 4-7 PSI. It's got forged internals already, but it has a high compression ratio. The Direct Injection bypasses much of the danger of detonation, and GM makes a turbo DI version of the motor in the saab 9-3 (2.8L DI VVT Turbo) so it can be done. Where I think your biggest limitations will come in modifying the six is the drivetrain. The Aisin is nowhere near as beefy as the Tremec in the LS3 car. If you got much above 375 horses with your LLT you may run into some reliability problems in the clutch, tranny, rear end or all three. This is my 'educated' guess though. I don't know what the driveline components in the LLT cars are actually spec'ed at.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierodeletre View Post
The engine (LLT) probably wouldn't mind a moderate turbo setup in the ball park of 4-7 PSI. It's got forged internals already, but it has a high compression ratio. The Direct Injection bypasses much of the danger of detonation, and GM makes a turbo DI version of the motor in the saab 9-3 (2.8L DI VVT Turbo) so it can be done. Where I think your biggest limitations will come in modifying the six is the drivetrain. The Aisin is nowhere near as beefy as the Tremec in the LS3 car. If you got much above 375 horses with your LLT you may run into some reliability problems in the clutch, tranny, rear end or all three. This is my 'educated' guess though. I don't know what the driveline components in the LLT cars are actually spec'ed at.
Good, good info. You think GMPP will offer a turbo? That would sure take some worry out of the whole drivetrain concern.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:05 AM   #10
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
No idea man. Probably not. But you never know. No doubt if they don't the aftermarket will.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote