Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
The80sman
NIUK NIUK!!..WOOWOOWOO!!!

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
AFM v8 Engine

Im looking forward to the new Camaro just as much as anyone else but there is a little thing about it that just keeps bothering me. Kinda like when you go to make a chocolate shake...but theres no chocolate or your eating Oreo cookies and then you findout there no milk. What im talking about is the AFM. I was talking with a buddy that works at a Chevy dealer and he says that AFM stuff is balony. I forgot which one of his new suv's has the AFM but he says it still sucks alot more gas than his Cobalt SS. Also the v8 with AFM's exhaust is kinda crappy when compared to a regular V8. This is just a little topic i find interesting and would like to get other's views on it.

I await the return of the Camaro!!!
The80sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by The80sman View Post
Im looking forward to the new Camaro just as much as anyone else but there is a little thing about it that just keeps bothering me. Kinda like when you go to make a chocolate shake...but theres no chocolate or your eating Oreo cookies and then you findout there no milk. What im talking about is the AFM. I was talking with a buddy that works at a Chevy dealer and he says that AFM stuff is balony. I forgot which one of his new suv's has the AFM but he says it still sucks alot more gas than his Cobalt SS. Also the v8 with AFM's exhaust is kinda crappy when compared to a regular V8. This is just a little topic i find interesting and would like to get other's views on it.
Amazing, his SUV which probably is 50-70% heavier than his Cobalt SS gets worse gas mileage than his Cobalt. I'm truly shocked, I would have thought that heavy old SUV would get twice the gas mileage of a Cobalt SS!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
and another thing about AFM and others........ well if your going AFM ypu cant have a manual trans

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
and another thing about AFM and others........ well if your going AFM ypu cant have a manual trans
rephrase that...
"If you're going manual trans you can't have AFM."

There are options of getting around the AFM....
Old 06-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
y not? AFM from what I understand is controlled by throttle position, oil pressure and the computer.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

There are problems with the control timing and the manual trans not allowing computer control of the shifting. Called "dirveability" problem. Don't expect AFM on any manual trans engines, expect the germens to be the first ( Always) to have a AFM system with a MT

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Old 06-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
What's the problem? You put a sensor in to tell if the engine is in 6th gear and cruising RPM's and you AFM off a few cylinders. If the clutch is pressed in you turn them back on and you're done.

I'm filing for the patent right now, seeing how the world was too stupid to do this I deserve to license it.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
AFM only promises somewhere around 10% fuel economy improvement overall. It generally activates on the highway at running speed, so it saves you on longer drives more than shorter ones.

His four-cylinder car should get better mileage by default. That's not a fair comparison.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
What's the problem? You put a sensor in to tell if the engine is in 6th gear and cruising RPM's and you AFM off a few cylinders. If the clutch is pressed in you turn them back on and you're done.

I'm filing for the patent right now, seeing how the world was too stupid to do this I deserve to license it.
keep in mind that your calling GM stupid as well, which was the first to create a system like that, and chrysler with the MDS, and ford......who cares about ford anyway lol

Quote:
Old 06-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If the shoe fits.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's not quite as simple as a few sensors.

I didn't design anything, but as I understand it, AFM talks to the Automatic and it helps to absorb the pulses of switching on and off through torque managment or something like that. It also maximizes it's fuel-savings ability because it can 'adust' the automatic's responses.

With a manual, the computer has to always be ready for an unexpected gear change. It has no way of absorbing any harshness/vibration, so consumers will complain about that, and will definitely not work to it's highest ability as far as saving fuel. So in the end, you're better off with just a manual.

Last I heard, GM was working on getting the manual to work with it...but were having trouble. if anyone gets it to work, though -- I think GM'll be the one to do it.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #12
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I'm fine with 1st to third to 5th-6th for saving gas.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
The80sman
NIUK NIUK!!..WOOWOOWOO!!!

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
I know it may seem im making a big deal out of something that isnt but its one of those little things that erk me.(dont know if erk is a word but it sounds right ) I think they should make AFm an option but then again that would probably cost too much to have as an on or off option.

I await the return of the Camaro!!!
The80sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #14
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The80sman View Post
I know it may seem im making a big deal out of something that isnt but its one of those little things that erk me.(dont know if erk is a word but it sounds right ) I think they should make AFm an option but then again that would probably cost too much to have as an on or off option.
They did it with traction control, they should figure it out...soon?!?!

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote