Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
That's kind of like saying 87 octace won't hinder performance compared to 93 octane.
Which brings us back to the usual old, boring, beat to death debate. Gas is gas........it all comes from the same pipe. But its the additive that makes it all better. And, oil is oil.........its all refined the same (or gene spliced or whatever they do with that synthetic goo).........but its the additives that makes it all better.
Are we all that blind to believe them? Just because they say so? Do we really believe that the standards are so strictly adhered to that if a manufacturer farts funny that an M.I.B. style "Agent EPA" will come crashing through the door with guns and a huge fine book?
The bottom line here is, taking care of your investment by taking the time to regularly check your fluids..........(oil, coolant, transmission). Doing proper regular maintenance. And most legit, off the shelf brands will perform well in your normal daily driven car.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Which brings us back to the usual old, boring, beat to death debate. Gas is gas........it all comes from the same pipe. But its the additive that makes it all better. And, oil is oil.........its all refined the same (or gene spliced or whatever they do with that synthetic goo).........but its the additives that makes it all better.
Are we all that blind to believe them? Just because they say so? Do we really believe that the standards are so strictly adhered to that if a manufacturer farts funny that an M.I.B. style "Agent EPA" will come crashing through the door with guns and a huge fine book?
The bottom line here is, taking care of your investment by taking the time to regularly check your fluids..........(oil, coolant, transmission). Doing proper regular maintenance. And most legit, off the shelf brands will perform well in your normal daily driven car.

You do understand that there are not only different octanes but grades and additive packages for fuel, right? So even if there wasn't different additive packages (there is) each dealer can choose the grade (not octane) of fuel they carry.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
cd3neil19

Drives: '10 2SS/RS & '14 Range Rover Sport
Quote:
You do understand that there are not only different octanes but grades and additive packages for fuel, right? So even if there wasn't different additive packages (there is) each dealer can choose the grade (not octane) of fuel they carry.
Ok, you're making me nervous lol, will there be a performance down grade if I let this Valvoline crap run fully through my engine until my next oil change?
cd3neil19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #18
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
That's kind of like saying 87 octace won't hinder performance compared to 93 octane.
Totally incorrect. Using your analogy would be more akin to saying that 5W-30 can be mixed, or used in place of, 10W-40. What I'm saying is that using different oil brands is similar to mixing Phillips fuel with BP. There is absolutely no harm in mixing brands. Period.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
KlugSS

Quote:
This is absolutely true.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
Avenging Orange

Quote:
Ummm, yeah. But what I'm saying is........how do we know?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
Avenging Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd3neil19 View Post
Ok, you're making me nervous lol, will there be a performance down grade if I let this Valvoline crap run fully through my engine until my next oil change?
No, you will be completely fine. Don't let them scare you. Some are just set in their ways and cannot see beyond their noses. There are plenty of us using "non approved lubricants" without dire affects...........many with improved performance. If you are really worried, let them swap for the mobil 1.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #22
Cody6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
No, you will be completely fine. Don't let them scare you. Some are just set in their ways and cannot see beyond their noses. There are plenty of us using "non approved lubricants" without dire affects...........many with improved performance. If you are really worried, let them swap for the mobil 1.
Why are some of you guys so damn ignorant? What I said is 100% fact and different oils will not perform the same regardless of certification. That's kind of like saying a red/green alignment is spot on simply because it's within specifications.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #23
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Here we go!

Mind controlled by Cerebro
Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Why are some of you guys so damn ignorant?
Perhaps "obstinate" is a more correct word. Perhaps it's because some of the posters "don't believe you."

Jus' sayin'.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
Cody6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Perhaps "obstinate" is a more correct word. Perhaps it's because some of the posters "don't believe you."

Jus' sayin'.

John B.
With all the bullshit on here I'm pretty sure ignorance is the correct term.