Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Westgate360mw

Drives: 2013 SS l99
New camaro at 17

Im looking to finance a camaro 1ss with a cosigner and i was wondering if anyone has anything to say about that

Stock L99 with visual mods only
Westgate360mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Plenty, but you wouldn't like it and I'm not your parent, so I will refrain.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I've been driving V8 cars since I got my license. If you are responsible, it won't be an issue. That's between you and who ever is cosigning, not random people online.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I've been driving V8 cars since I got my license. If you are responsible, it won't be an issue. That's between you and who ever is cosigning, not random people online.
V8 didn't always mean fast. A low 12 second car in the hands of a 17 year old will be smashed or in a ditch.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
pilot996

Drives: vrod muscle
My first car was a 96 z28 in 1999 when I was in HS. I wrecked it multiple times. A combination of immaturity and lack of driving experience. Honestly, I probably would have wrecked any car at least once but the power of the vehicle combined with my personal short comings at the time was repeatedly disastrous. He'll of a good time, but wickedly expensive.

Also, as somebody who spent his youth buying things he couldn't afford, I'd say it's a stupid move. Strapping yourself to a high monthly payment for the next half a decade at 17 is stupid. Finance something half the price; you'll still have a decent car and money to go to places in it. Perhaps a used Gen5. Admittedly, I don't know your financial situation so, if you have money to burn, feel free to ignore my comments. But if your like the average 17 year old, save your cash, go to school, have money to go out, and don't start your adult life shackled in debt.

That's my public service announcement for the day. Good luck with whichever you choose.
pilot996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
V8 didn't always mean fast. A low 12 second car in the hands of a 17 year old will be smashed or in a ditch.
You can get in trouble with any car.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Thebeezwax

Drives: Has 4 wheels
I wont cast judgment on your age... my 18th Graduation present from my parents was an Anniversary Camaro SS in 1998.

You cannot be on a loan at the age of 17... must be 18
Thebeezwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #8
pilot996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westgate360mw View Post
Well considering my dads let me drive his 14' z28 to school i might just be able to handle a v8...
I always driver other people's vehicles conservatively; when it's yours, though...
Old 06-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
BrianInJackson

Drives: toyota mr2
There are other things you can do with that money. Spend that money on your education. Start looking into investing if you have money. Learn how to use the money you have... to make more money. We all want, but I want you to think about this. What will this car cost? If you say $30-40K, you are very wrong. At 17 if you start putting that money into the stock market... That money will be worth about $250K when you are 50. Buy a car now and struggle financially for the next decade... or wait until you are older and use the money your money made for you. I don't like telling people how to manage their money, and it's your choice... But you asked.
BrianInJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #10
Westgate360mw

Drives: 2013 SS l99
I appreciate any input i was just curious because i know the topic ruffles a lot of feathers
Westgate360mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #11
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
My first car at 17 was a Grand Prix with a 400 in3 (6.6L for the youth). It was beautiful 2nd owner car with 50k miles. My 23 year old step brother said too bad your going to total it. I was offended. He was right. It was smashed twice and junk by 19

Second car at 19 was a 455 in3 (7.5L), 4-sp Trans Am. I owned it 27 years and never scratched it.

Moral of the story. Start out with a lesser car, gain experience and then step up

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:38 PM   #12
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
17 with a 455 hp camaro ss that can hit 100 mph in like 10 seconds.

Sounds like a smart move.
There's only one reason you want a camaro ss. If not buy the turbo 4. Which is still too much car for you.

Not sure how you convinced your parents this is a good idea. They are either very nieve or don't care about you. Or those parents who can't say no.

I wouldn't be alive today.

Also just about every kid I knew got in at least one small fender bender with their first car.

Good luck.

Side note... Have you ever even driven anything like this before? If not I really don't think you understand what your getting into. The things this car will do. It's not like bombing around on the back roads with your friends in your average car. For example... The first time you give this car too much throttle mid corner... Your done.
Your parents born yesterday or what ?
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westgate360mw View Post
Im looking to finance a camaro 1ss with a cosigner and i was wondering if anyone has anything to say about that
Co-signing should be illegal....Just realize, whoever co-signs (I'm assuming someone will be co-signing to help you out) is trusting that you will not turn out to be a dead-beat....They risk everything, money, credit, collateral, and you risk basically nothing...

Screw them over and you will have ruined a trust with a friend or relative forever....and it is easy to do...all you gotta do is bail, and they are left holding the bag and cleaning up your mess...

My "advice".....NEVER CO-SIGN!.....

Good luck...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #14
pilot996

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianInJackson View Post
There are other things you can do with that money. Spend that money on your education. Start looking into investing if you have money. Learn how to use the money you have... to make more money. We all want, but I want you to think about this. What will this car cost? If you say $30-40K, you are very wrong. At 17 if you start putting that money into the stock market... That money will be worth about $250K when you are 50. Buy a car now and struggle financially for the next decade... or wait until you are older and use the money your money made for you. I don't like telling people how to manage their money, and it's your choice... But you asked.
Just played with some numbers for fun. If he bought a $20k, put the other 20k into a traditional IRA over the next 5 years and then never added anything else to it, at retirement age he'd have an estimated $370k, $312k after taxes which, adjusted for inflation, would be worth $205k in today's value. Blame our fiat currency system and the Fed Res for the inflation.