Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
GM's Future?

Just learned yesterday that GM will be closing their Saturn devision due to a failed attempt to sell it off to Penske Read an article that indicated that their sales were off 59% through Aug of this year. This make GM's what.....2nd division closing with Pontiac leading the way. I understand how the 5th Gen Camaro will be a bright spot for GM's line, but I gotta say I have real concerns about the longevity of US auto makers being able to compete with global conditions what they are. After all.... Except for Ford....the sell off of all the rest of the Auto manufactures has me really concerned. I mean GM: 60% US government owned, 11-12 % Canadian government owned, and the rest I think goes to the Union... is this really a healthy and robust outlook for GM? Lets not even open the can of crap about Chrysler.....

How do you folks see the future of GM and its ability to become a world Industry leader once again knowing the ownership breakdown of GM?
Susantroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susantroy1 View Post
Just learned yesterday that GM will be closing their Saturn devision due to a failed attempt to sell it off to Penske Read an article that indicated that their sales were off 59% through Aug of this year. This make GM's what.....2nd division closing with Pontiac leading the way. I understand how the 5th Gen Camaro will be a bright spot for GM's line, but I gotta say I have real concerns about the longevity of US auto makers being able to compete with global conditions what they are. After all.... Except for Ford....the sell off of all the rest of the Auto manufactures has me really concerned. I mean GM: 60% US government owned, 11-12 % Canadian government owned, and the rest I think goes to the Union... is this really a healthy and robust outlook for GM? Lets not even open the can of crap about Chrysler.....

How do you folks see the future of GM and its ability to become a world Industry leader once again knowing the ownership breakdown of GM?
This is old news from Pre Bankruptcy. They were planning to dump the brand if there was no buyer. Its a good move by them as they need to start focusing on their core brands.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
mrcowboy

Drives: SS Camaro RJT
GM's future can be summed up by one word... Bright
mrcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Sinergy

Drives: em crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcowboy View Post
That statement can be summed up by one word...Maybe.
Sinergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
VR Code R6P

Drives: 2011 Race Red GT500 w/ SVT Perf Pkg
60% government owned..............Bleak.
VR Code R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Sidewinder

Drives: 2SS/RJT/A6/Received 09/09/09
Hard to forecast however the industry needs less goverment in their business functions and must be able manufacture cars that people want, not what the goverment wants them to build! Based on my personal experience with my new 2SS I'm impressed with the car however it's only been in service since 09/09/09 and time will tell the story.

PS: I also own a Saturn which has been a reliable car.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Drives: Everything
From the dealership standpoint and the changes I have seen about how dealerships will operate, I can assure you that the New GM is going to be very successfully. Quality in the product has increase about 10 fold, (Compare 2009 Equinox vs. 2010 Equinox). The customer service that GM requires from dealership is unheard of now. GM will make it through, and the New GM you see will be like nothing you have seen before.
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcowboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinergy View Post
That statement can be summed up by one word...Maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Code R6P View Post
60% government owned..............Bleak.
LOL
Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
The bottom line is once the economy gets back on it's feet so will auto sales GM has come a long way in the past year they have finally moved away from the truck and SUV craze. The other issue is bringing customers back to GM and make them realize that GM is a viable company they make outstanding products they can compete with ANYTHING else on the market hence “May the best car win” ad campaign the only downside of this campaign is that we are still in a bad economy thus not everyone will be able to take advantage of this until we stop with the job losses.

I have 100% faith in GM and there products I am getting ready to purchase my 2nd GM Vehicle w/in two months.

Sean
Old 10-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrboyd_1980 View Post
From the dealership standpoint and the changes I have seen about how dealerships will operate, I can assure you that the New GM is going to be very successfully. Quality in the product has increase about 10 fold, (Compare 2009 Equinox vs. 2010 Equinox). The customer service that GM requires from dealership is unheard of now. GM will make it through, and the New GM you see will be like nothing you have seen before.
I wanted to clear something up here the 2009 Equinox while it's not as nice looking as the 2010 the quality of the ride and in generaly how it was put together has been flawless I have 15,000 mile's on mine and there has'nt been any squeek's or rattle's or problem's of any kind it ride's nice and smooth it's really almost perfect except for the fact that it does'nt have a real nice interior kinda bland actually but other than that it has been perfect thus far.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
We'll be fine...

Class-leading products. Aggressive marketing. That's the new GM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #12
nova

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, VR, PW, WR
The real test will be the IPO and any attempts to borrow money afterwards. It will be interesting to see if anyone will be willing to lend them $$ at anything less than ruinous interest rates after the sound screwing the last creditors got at the behest of Uncle Sam....

Mods:
skip shift eliminator (hey everybody's gotta start somewhere )
crappily painted engine cover...
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
We'll be fine...

Class-leading products. Aggressive marketing. That's the new GM.
...and I like it a lot!
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
I do believe that GM will survive and come out of this a much stronger company. After they unload some of the excess and concontrate on their strongest lines, they will do good. Someone has to make those black suburbans.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote