Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
Unhappy I have a front plate and it's STILL illegal...

Great. So I didn't want to drill into my front bumper to install a plate in my state, where it is required by law to have one. So I purchased the hide away plate system that folds the plate under the car. It's already installed (very quick and easy). However, NOW I am looking for the law regarding the rear plate light colors allowed and I see this:
Quote:
and at a height of not less than twelve inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate
There's no way the bottom of my plate is 12" from the ground. I'll measure it to be sure but now I have a front bumper with holes in the bottom so I could mount the legally required front plate and it's still illegal.

My fault for not checking before I installed but still... you just can't win sometimes. I think having the front plate will decrease my chances of a ticket unless I'm being a dick or already violating the law I shouldn't be fined for the plate but it just gives the rookies in training they're reason to pull me over. Around here, the new cops are encouraged to pull over EVERYONE they can possibly pull over for any reason they can come up with so they get a lot of public contact while they have the safety of a training officer with them.

oh and, only white is legal in Iowa for the license plate light.
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: CGM SS/RS M6
I wore a city uniform in Dallas for 12 years and now enjoy membership in the Feds.

I would suggest to you to just forget about it. The chance of you getting a citation is so remotely small. It is obvious you are concerned about what the laws says and you made reasonable intent to comply. There is such a thing in COURT LAW (Interpreted Law) that you complied with the SPIRIT of the LAW if not the LETTER of the LAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
Around here, the new cops are encouraged to pull over EVERYONE they can possibly pull over for any reason they can come up with so they get a lot of public contact while they have the safety of a training officer with them.
And to this I would add that officer in training are instructed pretty universally the same. Go for the big fish. If you catch the little fish you try and work your way up the food chain. A license plate could be a good reason to stop but is a very bad reason to cite you.

"There are two types of racers: cheaters...and losers."
Smokey Yunick

Last edited by freemaSSon; 10-21-2009 at 08:35 AM.
freemaSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Also, light covers (black outs, tints, etc.,) are illegal in Iowa.

321.404A Light-restricting devices prohibited.
1. A person shall not operate a motor vehicle, motorcycle, or motorized bicycle on the highways of this state if it is equipped with a device that restricts the light output of a headlamp required under section 321.385 or 321.386, a rear lamp required under section 321.387, a signal lamp or signal device required under section 321.404, or a directional signal device as described in section 321.317.

Interesting note about colors:
321.393 Color and mounting.
1. A lighting device or reflector, when mounted on or near the front of a motor truck or trailer, except a school bus, shall not display any other color than white, yellow, or amber.
2. No lighting device or reflector, when mounted on or near the rear of any motor truck or trailer, shall display any other color than red, except that the stop light may be red, yellow, or amber.

So you can have yellow or amber or white front lights and the same colors are legal for stop lights. I've never seen a vehicle with yellow or amber stop lights but it's legal. huh.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemaSSon View Post
I wore a city uniform in Dallas for 12 years and now enjoy membership in the Feds.

I would suggest to you to just forget about it. The chance of you getting a citation is so remotely small. It is obvious you are concerned about what the laws says and you made reseanable intent to comply. There is such a thing in COURT LAW (Interpreted Law) that you complied with the SPIRIT of the LAW if not the LETTER of the LAW.

And to this I would add that officer in training are instructed pretty universally the same. Go for the big fish. If you catch the little fish you try and work your way up the food chain. A license plate could be a good reason to stop but is a very bad reason to cite you.
I agree. The jerk level of the officer would have to be very high for this to happen or my jerk level, which is NEVER high when it comes to police. I respect the police for the jobs they do. I also rob banks on the side so don't want to draw unnecessary attention. =D Kidding of course... so far.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
twenty7

Drives: lil red buick.
Quote:
I also rob banks on the side so don't want to draw unnecessary attention. =D Kidding of course... so far.
Hey now. Thats no laughing matter. Some of us are very proud of our bank-robbing side jobs.
twenty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
as freemaSSon stated, you got a front plate on, go with it.....and don't fret over it. do you think an officer is looking at our car think about how high or low the plate is off the ground? hell no, if they didn't see one, and had nothing alse to do, and wanted to see your car up close, they MIGHT pull you over, but I would bet it would just to see the car.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: was 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
I heard that Iowa State Police and local Authorities use a 12" Ear of Corn to establish whether a license plate meets the letter of the law.
Attached Images

#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 - Traded-in 8/31/2019:
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty7 View Post
Hey now. Thats no laughing matter. Some of us are very proud of our bank-robbing side jobs.
I didn't mean to belittle you.. my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
I heard that Iowa State Police and local Authorities use a 12" Ear of Corn to establish whether a license plate meets the letter of the law.
Well mostly we ride horses and cows... so no need for plates.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: was 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
Quote:
Well mostly we ride horses and cows... so no need for plates.
Thanks wrek - glad you saw the humor... always "go the distance" in your Camaro..(gratuitous "Field of Dreams" quote) and remember "No, It’s Not Heaven, It’s Iowa"
Attached Images

#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 - Traded-in 8/31/2019:
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

LMAO TJD24... Don't make me break out my book of NJ Jokes
Old 10-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
wow
Old 10-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
RMGee
Clap Clap

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3
RMGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
aki

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Hey tjd24 That was so corny that you actually brought tears to my eyes.
aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
Thanks wrek - glad you saw the humor... always "go the distance" in your Camaro..(gratuitous "Field of Dreams" quote) and remember "No, It’s Not Heaven, It’s Iowa"
I'll say. In heaven, people probably stay out past 10pm.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote