Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post
Doing mine this weekend, surprised there aren't more people doing it this way. It's cheaper then buying inserts, and does the same thing. Downside is you have to completely remove the subframe to do it.
What you are doing is a creative and should provide some benefits in terms of bush stability. +1 for you!

What you won't be able to do is increase the diameter of the control surface. That is where an aftermarket bush like ours has a significant advantage.

That said, I am now subscribed and look forward to your updates.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
And we all saw how well they worked out for ya, .
LOL....agreed. But if you're looking for cost cutting solutions which is what it sounds like the OP is doing then the Energy inserts might be an option.

I will say they are better than nothing.......but that's about as far as I'm going to go. I'm skeptical on how well the void can be filled with a solution that the OP is suggesting. Not saying it can't be done or wouldn't work....just not sure how effective it would be.

I will be resolving my issues......just waiting on parts to come in and for the lift to get free.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #17
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
LOL....agreed. But if you're looking for cost cutting solutions which is what it sounds like the OP is doing then the Energy inserts might be an option.

I will say they are better than nothing.......but that's about as far as I'm going to go. I'm skeptical on how well the void can be filled with a solution that the OP is suggesting. Not saying it can't be done or wouldn't work....just not sure how effective it would be.

I will be resolving my issues......just waiting on parts to come in and for the lift to get free.
I agree, just had to give you some shit over your ES bushing inserts. I do agree that what the OP posted might not be the best choice but there are compounds that will do what he intended and do a fairly good job at it. Something like JB weld in a easier to depense form would be the bomb.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
JB weld won't flex, nor will it stick to rubber. Window urethane is the same stuff that's in bushings, just in an uncured form.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #19
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post
JB weld won't flex, nor will it stick to rubber. Window urethane is the same stuff that's in bushings, just in an uncured form.
Sorry, I call

Think about it for a minute. How can it be? Grab ANY urethane suspension bushing and feel the hardness it has (durometer ratings between 70-95 usually) then compare that to your fully cured windshield sealant. There will be a huge difference. There HAS to be, because your windshield sealant has to "adhere" and stay "flexible" (to a degree) to maintain a seal as the parts expand & contract with temperature. Plus it must absorb vibrations so as not to transmit them to the glass.

Here is some quick info I Googled for ya:

3M Superfast urethane,the stuff to glue in a windshield,in engine/transmission mounts.It costs about $11 a tube,much cheaper than even a stock replacement unit. Enjoy…..
Comments
KATYB:
you buy the tube. it looks like caulking you shoot it into the mount open areas. can be used to repair torn mounts or to stiffen none torn mounts. about 60 duro stuff when hardened so still has a good amount of give…..

And from a few diff sites where they talk about urethane bushing hardness:

"The black urethane compound is intended as a standard replacement for the OEM rubber bushings and are specified as having a durometer rating of about 70. The red urethane compound is intended for high performance applications and will have a durometer of about 95."

Here are some standard values of hardness measured on the durometer scale:
Durometers of various common materials
Material Durometer Scale

Bicycle gel seat 15-30 OO
Chewing gum 20 OO
Sorbothane 40 OO
Sorbothane 30-70 A
Rubber band 25 A
Door seal 55 A
Automotive tire tread 70 A
Soft skateboard wheel 75 A
Hydraulic O-ring 70-90 A
Hard skateboard wheel 98 A
Ebonite Rubber 100 A
Solid truck tires 50 D
Hard hat 75 D

While your plan will work, it will NOT be the same as using a bushing intended for the application...
Old 06-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #20
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post

So what was the problem with the energy suspension inserts Just wondering because i was planning on ordering them also.

Thanks
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #21
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
The factory bushings I would guess are ~80 durometer...

JB weld idea sounds interesting

Pedders inserts... no muss, no fuss, no issues.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #22
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
I found the pedders bushing insert install very simple, sways and springs took me way longer. Install concerns should not be a reason to hold off.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #23
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrod6410 View Post
So what was the problem with the energy suspension inserts Just wondering because i was planning on ordering them also.

Thanks
Check out this thread.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134107

I'll be trying out the full bushings shortly if Fedex can ever find my package in their friggin warehouse.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #24
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Check out this thread.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134107

I'll be trying out the full bushings shortly if Fedex can ever find my package in their friggin warehouse.
Sometimes things happen for a reason
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #25
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrod6410 View Post

Thanks
Look at post #114
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=134107&page=5

Personally....I'm not recommending them any more. They are inexpensive (I got mine for $100) but I'll tell you they are a PITA to get that front top bushing in. After working with them and then looking at the design differnces between Energy vs Pedders I like the Pedders design by far. You can read a little more on that thread for some of my thoughts.

I would tell you to hold off for just a little bit before buying them. I've got a set of Pedders inserts coming and I'm going to be comparing them not only in install process but also in the way it feels to the touch. I was not impressed with how spongey the Energy inserts felt to me. They are just inserts and not a whole bushing so that may not be as important but looking at the design of Pedders as well I like it better.

It will be a week from Sun or Mon before the lift is free and I can do the install so you'll have to wait just a little but if you want to see real world comparison between the two you'll have to give me a little time. I don't think anyone has put them side by side like I'm going to be doing. I'm just hoping I can show any differences with video or pics.

BTW: The Stage 1 Street pkg from Wretched Motorsports looks like the way to go if you do go with Pedders. Cradle Inserts and Radius Rod inserts.....that's what I'll be adding.

Sorry OP......I didn't mean for your thread to get side tracked. If anyone else wants info on the Energy inserts please PM and/or wait for my next thread. Let's try to get the subject back on track with the OP's process.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 06-23-2011 at 11:41 PM.
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #26
rdono
Cavallino

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IMO-IMO
Its your time but what is 160 bucks when it comes to suspension parts. Go Pedders and you will feel the difference, besides the fact that they will last much longer.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #27
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
For the guys questioning the strength and durability of this 3m urethane. Have you guys ever used this product? I have and that stuff is some of the toughest and hardest substance know to man.

I applaud the original poster for thinking outside the box. This mod will save a ton of money over buying bushings. The only drawback is when filling big voids, this stuff needs days to cure completely.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #28
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
For the guys questioning the strength and durability of this 3m urethane. Have you guys ever used this product? I have and that stuff is some of the toughest and hardest substance know to man.
Read post #19. I looked up the durometer rating for this exact product (60) and compared to actual suspension components (urethane w/ durometer ranges of 70-95), I don't see how you can state the above...