Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 05-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #29
comiskeybum
Banned

Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00sted View Post
i know this is a little different, but the 335 xi is bmws 300hp twin turbo. you can lease a 335xi for probalby the same youd be making payments on the ss, what is everyones thoughts?

the styling is totally different for both, but the 335 also sports the more classier sophisticated look
why put 3k down on a lease when you can put 3k down on a camaro and OWN it for the same payments.

i love BMW but the only time a lease is attractive to me is when the down payment is less than 2k. this is why ive never leased a car
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #30
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
BMW's make me puke. Hondas, Nissans, BMWs even mercs now all look the same.
LOL...does not even merit a reasoned response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
nothing could be further from the truth

if you have not driven a 135i or 335i or m3, and your a "car guy" you owe it to yourself to go test drive them, you will soon realize they are not boring at all. Definitely not boring luxury cars, I prefer the 135i handling over the current m3, it just feels better, every time I go to the mountains I get a big grin. I have the sport suspension on mine, I really wouldn't consider a bmw without it.

I will say the current 3 and 5 series have gotten too big for my taste, but they still handle like they are on rails

to say that they are boring luxury cars means that you probably have not had a chance to drive one yet.

The pontiac g8 gt feels similar to a 5 series, however the 5 series feels tighter and more connected to the road

I would be in heaven if I could get a 135i with a LS3, but the twin turbo is plenty of fun
My previous toy was an E46 M3...and I was seriously well on my way to getting the E92 when it released. When the 135 was announced...I put my decision on hold until I could drive both. I had that chance...back to back with a salesman that I had a long standing relationship with...so I was able to enjoy a spirited test drive (without abusing either car). The 135 felt a little soft to me. It did not feel much smaller than my E46 and it was not nearly as connected...I'm sure with some performance work it could be..but out of the box it was still not 'M' material. The M3 on the other hand was all M. Somewhat unfortunately, the refinement in the car continues to get better with each generation and also continues to remove some connection between the driver and 'reality'. Stomping on the pedal vomits you to 100 in no time while you still 'sense' that you're well within legal territory. Pushing it around a sweeping corner is all too easy and you fell like your only doing 30-35 when quick glance at the gauges indicate almost double. It's refinement allows a fool like me to get a bit too comfortable at very dangerous speeds. The E46 was good at that...the E92 has it down almost to a science.

In the end...I knew that a 135 would never be enough...and that the M3 was just too pricey for what it was (for me..that's damn close to P car territory).

Anyone who 'scoffs' at BMW has never owned an M.
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #31
mega

Drives: 2007 mini cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
The 135 felt a little soft to me. It did not feel much smaller than my E46 and it was not nearly as connected...I'm sure with some performance work it could be..but out of the box it was still not 'M' material. The M3 on the other hand was all M. The refinement in the car continues to get better with each generation and also continues to remove some connection between the driver and 'reality'.
do you know if the 135i you test drove had the sport pack, or m pack? It'll have M logo's on the shifter and steering wheel, some countries also get the M badge on the back, and the door sills, the US versions only get the shifter & steering wheel.

I went from an M3 to the 135i and I couldn't be more happy, my 135i feels connected just like the M3, more than the new e9x m3 I think, I did not like the e9x at all, it is just too big and felt too big, I would choose a c6 vett before the e9x m3, they feel similar sized.
mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #32
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
nothing could be further from the truth

if you have not driven a 135i or 335i or m3, and your a "car guy" you owe it to yourself to go test drive them, you will soon realize they are not boring at all. Definitely not boring luxury cars, I prefer the 135i handling over the current m3, it just feels better, every time I go to the mountains I get a big grin. I have the sport suspension on mine, I really wouldn't consider a bmw without it.

I will say the current 3 and 5 series have gotten too big for my taste, but they still handle like they are on rails

to say that they are boring luxury cars means that you probably have not had a chance to drive one yet.

The pontiac g8 gt feels similar to a 5 series, however the 5 series feels tighter and more connected to the road

I would be in heaven if I could get a 135i with a LS3, but the twin turbo is plenty of fun

I will even go so far as to say that I prefer the feel of my 135i over my boss's c6 Z06, probably more due to the wheelbase and seating position, the z06 feels really really big compared to the 135i. My previous car was an M3, and I prefer the 135i handling over the m3. I also had a turbo mini cooper, and that car was FUN, but front wheel drive and torque steer drove me crazy.

I'm hoping GM keeps the camaro alive, in 5-6 years when I'm done with the 135i the camaro will probably be my next car. The main difference between the 135i and the camaro for performance is the LSD, bmw wont sell the 135i with one, 3500 $ aftermarket for a complete diff.
I have driven them many times, I owned a Mini Cooper S and they gave me a 3 or 5 series as a loaner EVERYTIME I went for service. At one point I had issues with the car leaking and they needed to get a rug shipped in from overseas and tear the car apart. I had a 330xi for almost a full month. My boss has a 740il, which I have taken to the dealer for him on many occasions to help him out. My good friend has a 325i and I have been in that car many a times. Do not get me wrong, they are solid as hell and very sporty, but you've seen one BMW, you have seen them all. The Style has not changed in years. That is what I meant as boring. In the NY/NJ area they are a dime a dozen. I am personally tired of them.

I agree about the Corvette, which Is why I bought a SKY Redline. It looks like a mini Vette, it is on the exact same chassis, just shortened. And the 0-60 is a respectable 5.4 seconds. Plus a convertible to boot, and a very rare Eye Catching car that still gets boat loads of comments after 2 and 1/2 years of ownership!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #33
mega

I'm with you on the styling, I hate everything made after the e46 except the 1 series

and the base models are boring, I would not own one
Old 05-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #34
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
do you know if the 135i you test drove had the sport pack, or m pack? It'll have M logo's on the shifter and steering wheel, some countries also get the M badge on the back, and the door sills, the US versions only get the shifter & steering wheel.

I went from an M3 to the 135i and I couldn't be more happy, my 135i feels connected just like the M3, more than the new e9x m3 I think, I did not like the e9x at all, it is just too big and felt too big, I would choose a c6 vett before the e9x m3, they feel similar sized.
I drove the first 135 to hit the dealer...well...the first one that had the sport pack...so the 'M' sport pack was not available. Correct me if I'm wrong...but all the M sport pack gets you is a bunch of logos...
Old 05-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #35
mega

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
I drove the first 135 to hit the dealer...well...the first one that had the sport pack...so the 'M' sport pack was not available. Correct me if I'm wrong...but all the M sport pack gets you is a bunch of logos...
I think they just changed the name, you get different suspension and the logos, shadowline trim, sport seats, 18" wheels

08 and early 09 only had a sport pack, 09 has sport or M with wheels on the M and shadowline and different trim

some people dont like the shadowline so they made 2 separate package, but the real good stuff under the car is the same on both packages

americans are badge whores, so the M logo on the trunk only comes on overseas markets, they dont want to take away M3 sales

bmwusa sucks, overseas markets can customize the car exactly how they want, americans can only get "packages" and there's no mixing of options
Old 05-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #36
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
I'm with you on the styling, I hate everything made after the e46 except the 1 series

and the base models are boring, I would not own one
Actually the Z4 and the 1 series are nice looking. My Favorite of all time was this beast, but I could not afford it back then in early 2000's!
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #37
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
Actually the Z4 and the 1 series are nice looking. My Favorite of all time was this beast, but I could not afford it back then in early 2000's!
the mighty and venerable clown shoe! When they shoved the S54 in that thing it made it a crazy little car...one I'm sure MANY underestimated.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #38
mega

I'm not a fan of the hard top, but the soft top is the nicest 2 seater bmw has made in a long time IMO
Old 05-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #39
steviefranchize

Drives: truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
its up to you they are similar yet totally different at the same time lol

I am leasing my Camaro through a bank... thats what our family does with all our cars
If you do not plan on keeping the car for too long why buy it? and I am gonna mod mine but towards the end of the lease you put it for sale for at least the amount you owe or more if you can get it and you are all good

cheaper payments when you lease

minus will go to avis and rent a car, thats basically what you are doing......leasing a small car to drive to work and back makes a little sense but buying a ss camaro and fixing it up just to get rid of to me doesnt make sense especially with this economy right now.....either way do what makes you happy
steviefranchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #40
NicoyAKinG

Drives: BMW M3
Coming from a E36 M3 I am doing a lot of research on which car do I really want. If money wasnt an issue I would def buy a E92 M3. I mean who can deny that beautiful german engineering right?

But for 60k thats way to much and out of my price range, so now I am considering a camaro and for 33k having a sick ass brand new 2ss maro doesnt sound bad at all. The 335i is fine and all but its not an M and can never perform like a M would.

If only the 135tii would have been released in the us also, but like mentioned before bmwusa is a bunch of retarded mother f*ckers, look at they did with the E46 M3 csl..

perfection..

NicoyAKinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #41
mega

you can build the tii all the options it has can be added to a 135i
Old 06-08-2009, 06:53 AM   #42
fever_08

Drives: '08 M3
Quote:

hhmm, I sold my 07 Z-51 'Vette to buy an E92 '08 M3....best choice I have ever made. I would dare to say the M3 will outhandle the vette, has the same HP and is a million times more comfortable. The sound of that little 4.0 litre V-8 wound out to 8400 rpm is like nothing I have ever heard before.....just amazing!
Both are great cars, but the M3 is a much much better car than the base engine corvette.....although I still think that they are to expensive...
fever_08 is offline   Reply With Quote