Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you want the rear quarter windows to roll down?
YES!!! I don't mind a little extra weight or $$$ to allow for all windows to roll down. 24 75.00%
No. I don't mind having them "fixed" in place to save on $$$ and weight. 8 25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
Mungo

Drives: trans am
Windows question

I asked this question before and recieved an answer, but I'm still going to throw it out again. The concept pictures that I've attached show the concept with all the windows up and all of the windows down. Since this was a concept, how did they do it? Since we are further along in the development of the production car, is there any info as to whether the rear windows will go down like the original coupe?

Name:  camaro windosup.jpg
Views: 3719
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  camarowindodwn.jpg
Views: 3400
Size:  77.8 KB

Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
i hope they do. it looks sick!
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I've also seen pics where the "Front" Windows are open, but the "rear" is closed. So obviously, they're separated. I'm sure that that rear window will be moveable...somehow.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
To answer your question...

At the time (about two months ago or so) Scott said that even though things weren't set in stone, the designers couldn't figure out how to make the rear window roll down and make it look like there was no b-pillar. The final answer is there MUST be a b-pillar. This is the pillar between the front and rear window.

The concept is just that...a concept. This means they can do anything they want with it. The front windows roll down. This leaves a rear window w/ a rubber edge. The continuous rolling down of the rear window at events and car shows took a quick toll on that rear rubber guard. It was pretty worn down.

Now...GM must get a 5 star crash test rating on this vehicle. In order to do this, they either have to super reinforce the roof (which adds a ton of weight and adds to cost) or just toss in a b-pillar which is secured to the roof and bottom of the window opening. The consensus at that time, was the coupe was getting a non-moveable b-pillar. This pillar will be "hidden" behind the rear quarter glass and will have a "smoked glass" covering the pillar.

No. The production coupes rear quarter window will, at about a 99% accurracy, not roll down. I know...it sucks big time. The verts will roll down due to the much more relaxed restrictions verts are held to. So, I hope this answers your question. Of course, no 100% guaranteed info yet, but I do believe this is how it's going to be.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Now that you mention Scott, the B pillar issue was talked about before. I can't speak for anyone else, but for my two cents worth I would be willing to for go the additional weight for windows that roll down. It just looks cool like the MB CL coupe. Since you are (if the video I saw was correct) involved with chevrolet shows, have ANY influence, tell them that SOME of us would like to see them go down. I know it's like spitting in the wind, but nothing ventured...nothing gained.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Al Robinson...Scott is the promotional manager for GM/Hummer. I don't have anything to do with GM, other than I buy their cars!!! He is at the car shows and takes the 5th Gen when it's not being used elsewhere. I have spoken to him on a few occassions about these windows and it comes back down to cost and weight. I told him there would be more than a few of us who want a "true coupe" if you could call it that by having both rear windows roll down. He and GM undertand...but I think they are more worried about saving money so more people can buy it...and keeping the weight down by not having the electric motors and other equipment used in rolling down the window. Again, I've told him nuimerous times "there's more than enough people who want that rear window to roll down." Pretty positive it won't happen.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Mr. Wyndham

It sucks, but I don't think I'll mind that much...
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Al Robinson...Scott is the promotional manager for GM/Hummer. I don't have anything to do with GM, other than I buy their cars!!! He is at the car shows and takes the 5th Gen when it's not being used elsewhere. I have spoken to him on a few occassions about these windows and it comes back down to cost and weight. I told him there would be more than a few of us who want a "true coupe" if you could call it that by having both rear windows roll down. He and GM undertand...but I think they are more worried about saving money so more people can buy it...and keeping the weight down by not having the electric motors and other equipment used in rolling down the window. Again, I've told him nuimerous times "there's more than enough people who want that rear window to roll down." Pretty positive it won't happen.
I'm sorry. I saw Scott Settlemeir at the bottom of your post and somehow put two and two together. Well maybe after the first year when they see how many Camaros they sell, they maybe more inclined to make this modification. One can only hope. Personally I don't think they're going that far out on a limb with this vehicle. More so than the Mustang is for Ford, I believe this car will be their bread and butter car and the catylist for other great vehicles.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I personally am shooting for the vert, so this is hardly a concern for me since the vert will HAVE to roll down...hehe

That being said, if I were to get a coupe, I'd be pretty upset about having to have more re-enforcements and weight added just so my kids in the backseat who could care less about seeing outside anyway would have a window.

B-pillar ftw.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
That being said, if I were to get a coupe, I'd be pretty upset about having to have more re-enforcements and weight added just so my kids in the backseat who could care less about seeing outside anyway would have a window.

B-pillar ftw.
Most of you know that I have access to a 2nd Gen Camaro, it doesn't have a huge/long window like the 5th Gen, and I'm okay with it, in fact, I like it. And if it makes the Car safer, then I say Go for it, put a B-pillar in!

And besides, think about it; If there's a B-Pillar right there, at the door-edge of the Window, it'll make it easier to seal the 2 windows together.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #11
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Most of you know that I have access to a 2nd Gen Camaro, it doesn't have a huge/long window like the 5th Gen, and I'm okay with it, in fact, I like it. And if it makes the Car safer, then I say Go for it, put a B-pillar in!

And besides, think about it; If there's a B-Pillar right there, at the door-edge of the Window, it'll make it easier to seal the 2 windows together.
The 5th Gen would not look as good with the type of B-Pillar the 2nd thru 4th Gens had though.

It doesn't bother me if they make the rear window fixed, so long as they do as described and make the pillar hidden behind smoked glass so it keeps the long window appearance.

There had better be a HUGE sunroof (or TTops) to make up for a non rolldown rear window.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #12
Kahlis
Gotta love this shit!

Drives: 1981 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
There had better be a HUGE sunroof (or TTops) to make up for a non rolldown rear window.

T-TOPS!!!
Kahlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #13
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlis View Post
T-TOPS!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #14
Mr. Wyndham