Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-12-2016, 11:22 PM   #29
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
cool thread!
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:28 PM   #30
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
I think the kit comes with a work order code for free tuning done at the dealer. I would do the install myself anyway. I just can't trust cams from aftermarket suppliers. Anyone I know from the track venues with aftermarket cams have eventually lost their engines with no exceptions so far :(
How many of those losses were caused by camshaft or valve train issues?
Most I have seen were tune related,at the track. The street driven cams a lot of the failures I have seen were improper installs or crappy cam cores. Just curious on what you have seen.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:42 AM   #31
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
How many of those losses were caused by camshaft or valve train issues?
Most I have seen were tune related,at the track. The street driven cams a lot of the failures I have seen were improper installs or crappy cam cores. Just curious on what you have seen.
Some blame on oil they used, some on the lifters, tune, oil pump, etc. It doesn't really matter. Statistically speaking, OEM engines survive, while cammed engines fail.

My engine is stock with headers, and is tuned. I honestly don't trust the tune, especially now that I've heard my tuner has removed all the torque management in at least someone else's tune, but it doesn't grenade. OEM parts are much more reliable, for one reason or another in my experience.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:01 AM   #32
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Posting for future reference

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #33
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Some blame on oil they used, some on the lifters, tune, oil pump, etc. It doesn't really matter. Statistically speaking, OEM engines survive, while cammed engines fail.

My engine is stock with headers, and is tuned. I honestly don't trust the tune, especially now that I've heard my tuner has removed all the torque management in at least someone else's tune, but it doesn't grenade. OEM parts are much more reliable, for one reason or another in my experience.
Most tunes do take out all the torque management. Really wakes the car up. What scares me in a tune is when the knock sensors are desensitized a substantial amount. To the point where if there was pre-detonation, it still wouldn't register knock and retard timing. Most hand held canned tunes even take out the torque management.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #34
RobG
RobG

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE, NPP, LT, CD
No this is a completely different part number that contains an additional ECU tune from a GM Dealership. By all accounts that I can find is that the tune itself doesn't unlock much more than the 40hp that the original package offered but actually opens up the power band and allows the engine to rev at 7100 RPM. Others have reported that it is a 50+ HP increase. While the original Kit wasn't to expensive many have stayed away from it due to its lack of power compared to 3rd party hot cam swaps being cheaper and offering more power. This package isn't just about adding power its about getting the power quicker, and longer than stock applications.

Check this build thread already mentioned in this thread for details http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=429296&page=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Is this the same as the "dynamic duo" that Chevy had or their performance site?

-CRT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #35
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
I wouldn't worry about the torque management. Knock sensors however will always be a problem when you get into bigger cams. They pick up the choppy idle as pre-ignition or detonation. You’ll either have to deal with the timing it takes out or leave yourself susceptible to the onset of knock. If you’re looking to run the ASA cam it will have a choppy idle and the knock sensors will have to be tuned. Other GM cams will probably be OK.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #36
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I am sure that a big part if this kit increasing the RPM range to 7100 is the fact that the heads included outflow the stock heads and the cam included makes power at higher RPM than the stock one. You can't just tune for higher RPM unless the components support it.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #37
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Could the 7100 RPM limit they chose, be a reflection of what their ported heads bring to the table based on their "tests"?
The LS7 redlines at 7100. I'm guessing that's why this kit also revs to 7100.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #38
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The LS7 redlines at 7100. I'm guessing that's why this kit also revs to 7100.
Which is an amazing feat. LS7 gets there with light titanium valves.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 01-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #39
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman44 View Post
X25 - If you don't find one and want to take the plunge then I can certainly help. I've been down that road and can cut your learning curve in half. PM me if you want to talk.
Thank you! I might end up doing that, but it seems to require a bit of investment (HP Tuners and a wideband, etc.). I might hold up on that for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Most tunes do take out all the torque management. Really wakes the car up. What scares me in a tune is when the knock sensors are desensitized a substantial amount. To the point where if there was pre-detonation, it still wouldn't register knock and retard timing. Most hand held canned tunes even take out the torque management.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
I wouldn't worry about the torque management. Knock sensors however will always be a problem when you get into bigger cams. They pick up the choppy idle as pre-ignition or detonation. You’ll either have to deal with the timing it takes out or leave yourself susceptible to the onset of knock. If you’re looking to run the ASA cam it will have a choppy idle and the knock sensors will have to be tuned. Other GM cams will probably be OK.

Good to know, thanks for chiming in guys. I never launch the car, so hopefully powertrain is not shocked too much, anyway.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 01-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #40
White_SS/RS

The LS3 makes peak HP at 5900 but revs well into 6k. The LS7 makes peak HP at 6300 but revs to 7k. There are reasons to rev beyond a peak number, one being that power doesn’t rapidly drop after peaking. The engine still has something to offer. I can't believe that CNC ported LS3 heads make more power than LS7 heads but really it’s the cam determining the operating range of the engine. The LS7 cam is going to mimic the LS7 engine when in the LS3. For perspective GM crate versions of the LS3 and LS7 recommend 6600 and 7000 rev limits respectively. Obviously the kit; since its utilizing LS7 valve springs with smaller LS3 valves will support the 7100. Don’t know why GM would support it if it weren’t true. Truthfully there’s nothing exotic needed to run an engine to 7k. We’ve been running SBC’s since the 80’s at 7200. Past 7500, sure you should be looking at lighter components. Personally I think this is a great kit for someone who’s looking for a boost in power and RPM with OEM reliability.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #41
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
The LS3 makes peak HP at 5900 but revs well into 6k. The LS7 makes peak HP at 6300 but revs to 7k. There are reasons to rev beyond a peak number, one being that power doesn’t rapidly drop after peaking. The engine still has something to offer. I can't believe that CNC ported LS3 heads make more power than LS7 heads but really it’s the cam determining the operating range of the engine. The LS7 cam is going to mimic the LS7 engine when in the LS3. For perspective GM crate versions of the LS3 and LS7 recommend 6600 and 7000 rev limits respectively. Obviously the kit; since its utilizing LS7 valve springs with smaller LS3 valves will support the 7100. Don’t know why GM would support it if it weren’t true. Truthfully there’s nothing exotic needed to run an engine to 7k. We’ve been running SBC’s since the 80’s at 7200. Past 7500, sure you should be looking at lighter components. Personally I think this is a great kit for someone who’s looking for a boost in power and RPM with OEM reliability.
Our old school LS7 454 cubic inch big block crate engine makes power up to about 7100 RPM, so yes, nothing new about reving engines that high. Keep in mind these are steel rods and no high tech at all. Does it all day long in a drag racing scenario. Yes, the cam defines the power range, but the heads have to be able to move are in that RPM range as well. I have driven cars with 4000 RPM converters that stopped flowing at about 5500 RPM......not a very good combination!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #42
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Our old school LS7 454 cubic inch big block crate engine makes power up to about 7100 RPM, so yes, nothing new about reving engines that high. Keep in mind these are steel rods and no high tech at all. Does it all day long in a drag racing scenario. Yes, the cam defines the power range, but the heads have to be able to move are in that RPM range as well. I have driven cars with 4000 RPM converters that stopped flowing at about 5500 RPM......not a very good combination!
Ya, having a cam that is more capable than the heads certainly won't produce the best results. I don't think the LS3 has those issues when paired with any GM cam.