Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
jayC1974

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss aqua blue
Catalytic converter

My local speed shop here in Arkansas is telling me that there will be no problem just deleting my catalytic converter. My set up I am going for is Kooks Long tube headers with a Corsa exhaust and Hypertech Tune. Now of course the headers with no catalytic converter are way less money but im worried about my warranty. I live in a state that emissions is not a problem so deleting the cats would be no problem for that. My questions are.

What are the pros and cons of deleting my catalytic converter? Will I have a problem setting my Tune back to stock if I have to take it into the dealer for warranty work? Will I be better off with out my catalytic converter performance wise?

Now my local Speed shop says I will have no problem what so ever with out my catalytic converters, please tell me what you think.

Thanks.
jayC1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
the long tube headers will void your warranty.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
jayC1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
the long tube headers will void your warranty.
I was told by my local dealer that headers alone will not void my Drive/tran warranty. But if my aftermarket headers caused the problem yes it would void it. As long as my car has factory tune settings when I take it in my car is covered no matter if I have aftermarket headers.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
06MonteSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Monte Carlo SS
once you load the stock original factory GM tune back to the car, you're going to get all kinds of trouble codes for the O2 sensors and CAT's, due to the headers and having no cats on the car...

so they're gonna KNOW you had to have a tune on the car at least for those items...
06MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
jayC1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
once you load the stock original factory GM tune back to the car, you're going to get all kinds of trouble codes for the O2 sensors and CAT's, due to the headers and having no cats on the car...

so they're gonna KNOW you had to have a tune on the car at least for those items...
You know this is exactly what I asked the guy. I said hey when I set the tune back to stock wont the computer have a problem with it cause I have no cats....he said no not at all no trouble what so ever.....

Old 04-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
ratlover

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS 6 speed
If deleting the cats I would look into a more custom tune. The hypertec is prob tuned with cats in mind. A self tuning software like efilive or having it dyno tuned by a shop would be my recomendation. I have kooks with no cats and supprisingly enough when I took her on a cruise around town on just open headers(I know I'm juvinile lol) I didn't throw a cel on the stock tune.I drove it on open headers then started it and drove it into and outa my shop with headers, spintech exhaust and no cats. Still no CEL. Supprised the hell outa me. I will check tonight if it has any actual stored codes.

Edit: I want to clarify. I don't thing running around on a stock tune and headers especially with no cats is a good idea. It will code eventually I'm sure. Just saying you *may* be able to get by for a short trip with no code. I'd also check with your dealer and see what they say about cats. They may look the other way with 4:29:56 PM's but not cattless ones.

Last edited by ratlover; 04-19-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: clarification
ratlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
06MonteSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Monte Carlo SS
problem is, you can't flash back to the stock tune and then go for "short" trip to get your emissions tests done...

because, after you flash the ecm, all of the emissions readiness tests get reset to their "not run" or "not complete" status... and you will definitely fail... you usually need to complete about 5 drive cycles in order to allow all emissions readiness tests to have run and be set to a "complete" status... so, usually a couple/few days of driving...

and in that time, I'm sure you will have thrown the trouble codes once the emissions readiness tests have gone through those portions of it's testing.
06MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
ratlover

Who cares if it will or won't pass an emmision test if you never have to take one?

If a gm rep digs they are probably going to find that your car was tuned even if flashed back to stock. And I'm betting if a gm rep is digging around and getting that deep and pissy about a warantee claim then they will probably get funny about headers regardless if you have cats or not. It gets grey and fuzzy and turns into a lot of unknowns with warantee questions anytime you modify anything on your vehicle.

I'd say that especially if you have a cool dealer that even a tune won't cause an issue if what you did didn't cause the problem. More than likely.....but its possible if you puke a motor due to a gm defect and they don't like that you ran a cat back that you may have a fight.....and that's no fun. Depends on everyones mood at the time.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
problem is, you can't flash back to the stock tune and then go for "short" trip to get your emissions tests done...
Exactly. I've heard you can wrap the sensor element on the rear sensors with aluminum foil and reinstall them, but I have zero proof that works.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
ratlover

Surprisingly enough still no codes or CEL??? Have a close to 200 miles with all different throttle positions and driving. 5-10 miles on just headers and the mid pipe or extension pipe or what ever you want to call it. Now I'm curious to see when its going to do it so I'm leaving it with a stock tune . I did just disable the catalyst test(think thats what its called) after about 200 miles, didnt alter any of the MIL or DTC codes though(did just ditch the skip shift though). I havent done any logging yet. plan to this weekend to see what my trims are, and get off my ass and install a wide band. This really does have me curious Its how you learn though.

I plan to mess around with it a bit on the street and get it 1/2 way tuned and then get it on a dyno with a pro to help me.

I have EFI Live, kooks 2" headers, no cats, spintech 3" cat back with x pipe. Its a full 3" system, none of that reduce down after the cat then reduce back up. And yes, its a little on the loud side LOL
Old 04-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
1fastdog

Drives: 2002 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC1974 View Post
My local speed shop here in Arkansas is telling me that there will be no problem just deleting my catalytic converter. My set up I am going for is Kooks Long tube headers with a Corsa exhaust and Hypertech Tune. Now of course the headers with no catalytic converter are way less money but im worried about my warranty. I live in a state that emissions is not a problem so deleting the cats would be no problem for that. My questions are.

What are the pros and cons of deleting my catalytic converter? Will I have a problem setting my Tune back to stock if I have to take it into the dealer for warranty work? Will I be better off with out my catalytic converter performance wise?

Now my local Speed shop says I will have no problem what so ever with out my catalytic converters, please tell me what you think.

Thanks.
The speed shop is misinformed or out and out lying to you unless they are under the impression you are converting you car to a vehicle that will not be used on the street but as a racing vehicle in sanctioned events.

You have to decide if the HP gains are worth it.

Removing a good cat/s is illegal. Period. ARE THE FEDS GOING TO SEND BLACK HELICOPTERS TO YOUR HOUSE AS A RESULT? Not likely.

It will be an issue if and when you sell or trade your vehicle. All dealers will require you to sign a statement that all of the emission devices are still in place if you trade the vehicle in... that's when it can become sticky. It would be wise to keep all of the OEM exhaust around for reinstallation if you don't want issues with the feds if you sell or trade the car for street use.

As for your warranty from GM? It's likely that any failure in the powertrain will be denied and the powertrain portion of your car's warranty will be blocked. Some level of retune is going to be required to stop service engine soon lights from going off.

If you want to get the most from the headers, a major tune is a must. A major tune will flag if checked.

Removing cats will change the smell of your car's exhaust. It's a major change. The exhaust will smell like a car from the pre-converter days.

Good longtubes definately can help produce more power. Getting the most will require much more than a canned tune will allow.

There's a lot of negative risk and expense involved. Know what you are setting yourself up for.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
1fastdog

Drives: 2002 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC1974 View Post
You know this is exactly what I asked the guy. I said hey when I set the tune back to stock wont the computer have a problem with it cause I have no cats....he said no not at all no trouble what so ever.....
He's misinformed.