Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
If lockout persists, UFL ready to pounce on undrafted rookies

If lockout persists, UFL ready to pounce on undrafted rookies

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

"The NFL lockout could very well be a boom to the United Football League's ability to attract new players.

According to Jerry Glanville, one of two former NFL coaches to recently take over a UFL team, the younger league's focus is on players who aren't drafted by the NFL, but who NFL teams seek to sign after the draft.

Should the lockout continue through the April 28-30 draft, the UFL might not be competing with the NFL in its efforts to sign undrafted players -- 11 percent of whom, Glanville said, were starters in the NFL last season. That's because the NFL wouldn't allow its teams to sign those or any other players who didn't have contracts before the lockout.

"I can guarantee you, I'll be sitting on somebody's doorstep," said Glanville, the new coach and general manager of the Hartford Colonials. "Back when I was with the Falcons, they used to fly me all around the country, and the minute the draft was over, I'd pounce on 'em like a panther. I'd have my own little private plane, and I'd fly all over to get these guys. Well, now that's going to be our league.

"The minute the draft was over, I'd pounce on 'em like a panther."

-- Jerry Glanville on signing undrafted free agents
"What (NFL players) want (in the labor dispute), we're not in that league (financially). But we are in the league (for) the young player that just needs to be seen and needs his pass protection strengthened or his coverage strengthened. If we can get that 11 percent this year because there is a (work stoppage in the NFL) ... that will change the UFL. And those are the guys that make the NFL, that bottom 11 percent that ends up starting."
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
We don't have a UFL team here, so even though I love any football, that would still kill me. I hope there's an NFL season... I really hope.