Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
ronniels3

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Excessive oil in catch can remedy

For those of you that do not have a catch can on your car it is a definitely a must do modification. I installed my catch can after about 10,000 miles on my car because of severe oil consumption. I first installed the RX can which had major issues and there customer service is the worst in the world and it never worked properly as it leaked all the time. I then installed the Elite Engineering catch can which is a work of art. However the catch can would fill to the brim after only a couple of hundred miles of driving. I said that this cant be right. The can is doing its job however why is so much oil passing through? I did a lot of research and spoke to a couple of very close friends of mine Erik and Josh at Lashway Motorsports and we came up with the idea that the baffle located on the underside if the valley cover was leaking air. I really fully don't understand how the valley cover works in conjunction with the PVC system but I said lets change it anyway. I ordered a new valley cover and installed it and drove the car for a very long time. Maybe a thousand miles or so. I then checked the can and there was very little oil in there maybe less than 1 ounce. Its not hard to change maybe an hour or 2 but if you are having this problem the chances are its the valley cover. My car is a 2010. Not sure if other years are affected as well. If anybody has any questions please call me at 954-325-7722. All the catch can does is collect the oil however it doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks

Ronnie

Last edited by ronniels3; 12-03-2014 at 08:08 AM.
ronniels3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Nice write up. Yeah I have heard of something similar that most cars where the PCV Valve screws in there is a baffle/cover to keep splash up oil from going in the breather. If that splash guard breaks off splash up oil gets in the breather and dumps tons on oil. Old days the breather would just dump it on the ground which was dead giveaway (oil stains/drips every where you park) now it goes into the intake tract to be burned and fouls the intake and valves very quickly (usually before you can notice the problem). They newer direct injection engines really all should come with a dirty side catch can and emptying it should just be part of doing oil changes.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
I have also noticed that during the colder months, the oil in the catch can mixes with condensation in the air, and produces a creamy, frothy mess, because of the frothiness, there appears to be more in the catch can.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
ronniels3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
Nice write up. Yeah I have heard of something similar that most cars where the PCV Valve screws in there is a baffle/cover to keep splash up oil from going in the breather. If that splash guard breaks off splash up oil gets in the breather and dumps tons on oil. Old days the breather would just dump it on the ground which was dead giveaway (oil stains/drips every where you park) now it goes into the intake tract to be burned and fouls the intake and valves very quickly (usually before you can notice the problem). They newer direct injection engines really all should come with a dirty side catch can and emptying it should just be part of doing oil changes.
I agree.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
ronniels3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
I have also noticed that during the colder months, the oil in the catch can mixes with condensation in the air, and produces a creamy, frothy mess, because of the frothiness, there appears to be more in the catch can.
Don't have that problem here in South Florida. LOL
Old 12-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
I had the same problem that was remedied the same way!
Old 12-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Never had that issue on my 2010, nor my brother and he's got over 66k miles on his 2010.

Good to know though for future reference.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
ronniels3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
Never had that issue on my 2010, nor my brother and he's got over 66k miles on his 2010.

Good to know though for future reference.
Not to sure why or how the valley cover baffle gets screwed up. Mine ate oil since day one. Took a long time to figure out but I am glad I got it fixed. Took about an hour and a half in the garage. The part is $100.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #9
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniels3 View Post
Not to sure why or how the valley cover baffle gets screwed up. Mine ate oil since day one. Took a long time to figure out but I am glad I got it fixed. Took about an hour and a half in the garage. The part is $100.
Not too bad, my brother and I both have oil catch cans and haven't noticed any excessive consumption at all, so far I think I can just empty it with each oil change.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
Mean Green Z28

Great write up and explanation, thanks!

Most every oil catch can story we see here only deals with the catch can doing a great job blah blah blah, here's a post that actually helps the issue, rather than the fix.
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
ronniels3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
Great write up and explanation, thanks!

Most every oil catch can story we see here only deals with the catch can doing a great job blah blah blah, here's a post that actually helps the issue, rather than the fix.
Thank you. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Is there are a DIY writeup on how to replace the Valley Cover on the LS3?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
In 3 weeks of driving mine gets pretty full.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #14
Mean Green Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Is there are a DIY writeup on how to replace the Valley Cover on the LS3?
not much to it. remove intake, replace cover, reinstall intake

Typing fat fingered on my GS3...excuse any sfelling mitcakes
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote