Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS and a 09' Deluxe
Springs vs. Coilovers

Which gives you the better ride? coileovers or lowering springs.

I would like to get low..more than a 1" but don't want to get a ride like in the mini-truck days.

I plan on 22" with 30 series tires. Lowered to where the fender sits just about 1" or so above tire.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
I like the coil overs,I have pedders on our camaro and it rides and performs great.The Pedders coil overs are the way to go since the shock travel won't change to get the ride height .The shock valve is also 30 way adjustable to help get the performance that you are looking for.We have a set in stock if you are interested.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bruce@raymondsperformance; 12-28-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
haha know what you mean...i use to have a 91 Nissan hardbody slammed on air shocks. Not C-notched nor bridged. Bed frame rested right on the axle....those were the days, making my money stretch with the little i had.

Well lets see...i have Eibach pro kit (springs) on my SS which dropped it around an inch for $260. After the alighnment it rode great to me, a bit stiffer but deffitenly felt more like a performance car, kinda feels like a vette now. Of course i dont have the adjustability i would like to have with coilovers system but that will cost over $2000.

Overall im very happy with my Eibach springs and is so far my most favorite mod i've done so far.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I had the same dilema as the OP. I pre-ordered Pedders coilovers but was considering springs and sway bars in lieu of the coilovers. I've decided to keep the coilovers, from what I researched I'll have better ride quality and not only be able to drop it lower but I can adjust the height as I needed. I will be installing my Pedders coilovers in Jan, I've got an extra set too if you're interested.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Banned

Nobody has a SOLID answer to this question. Maybe all the professional shops are on vacation. Lets see what happenes on Monday.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
If you're concerned about ride quality, I would of course go with the coilovers.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Ok the OP is asking a basic question but this is biased to reply. Springs are an easy way to lower the car and improve handling however the OEM shocks have limits in their valving and adding heavier wheels and tires will add more strees to the factory shocks. The coilovers on the markert have shock adjustments but so far on what I have tested it wasnt the best for my driving conditions. I am waiting til Feb for more options to be on the market. As for ride quality you can set up coilovers to ride just like a set of springs and to be honest they may ride better than just springs but in my experience on my roads the coilovers made my car bounch much more than I would have liked even when adjusted many ways.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe View Post
Nobody has a SOLID answer to this question.
There is no SOLID answer to this question. "Ride" is a completely subjective measurement. Personally, I do not want the same "Ride" in my Concorde as I would my SRT. Depending on what "Ride" you are looking for, your answer is going to be different.

Dampers are desinged and valved to work with a certain spring rate and travel. When you change one of those variables, you should change the dampening, or the "Ride" won't be balanced. When you say "lowering springs", are you refering to a spring with the same or greater rate as the stock springs? A shorter suspension travel with a greater spring rate, paired with the same dampening force is going to create a jostled ride, because the dampening force can't keep up with the stronger spring rate.

Adjustable coilovers allow you to tune the dampening forces to the rate and travel of the spring, giving you the ability to create a better "RIDE". Doesn't mean that ride will still be to harsh for you. Most established suspension tuners can provide you with a spring for your coilovers with a lesser rate, for a softer "RIDE", but then you might want them to adjust the range of the dampening, but from the sounds of it, I'm guessing you'll never adjust them anyways.

It seems like we've come to the Form vs. Function delimma... "I want my Camaro to look cool, but I want it to feel like a Cadillac."

If you still want to lower your car, but you're concerned about a comfy right, have you thought about stepping down to a 19" wheel, and increasing the tire sideway? You could still lower your car, but use some of the tire to help soften out your ride. But I guess that wouldn't look as cool...

Simple answer: Coilover > Drop Springs
Old 12-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo1 View Post
I like the coil overs,I have pedders on our camaro and it rides and performs great.The Pedders coil overs are the way to go since the shock travel won't change to get the ride height .The shock valve is also 30 way adjustable to help get the performance that you are looking for.We have a set in stock if you are interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I had the same dilema as the OP. I pre-ordered Pedders coilovers but was considering springs and sway bars in lieu of the coilovers. I've decided to keep the coilovers, from what I researched I'll have better ride quality and not only be able to drop it lower but I can adjust the height as I needed. I will be installing my Pedders coilovers in Jan, I've got an extra set too if you're interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-townmach View Post
If you're concerned about ride quality, I would of course go with the coilovers.
BINGO!!!!
Coil overs are what will give you the better ride and cornering ability.
Hope that answers your question.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
crazz28

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS, '10 GMC Sierra
I was also debating what to get. I'm leaning towards coilovers because I'm paranoid about getting springs and lowering it, and as a result, changing the angles/vectors of the IRS......unless I'm worried about nothing??? I'm sure all these suspension companies lower it for a reason but I just like the adjustability of the coilover.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
There is no SOLID answer to this question. "Ride" is a completely subjective measurement. Personally, I do not want the same "Ride" in my Concorde as I would my SRT. Depending on what "Ride" you are looking for, your answer is going to be different.

Dampers are desinged and valved to work with a certain spring rate and travel. When you change one of those variables, you should change the dampening, or the "Ride" won't be balanced. When you say "lowering springs", are you refering to a spring with the same or greater rate as the stock springs? A shorter suspension travel with a greater spring rate, paired with the same dampening force is going to create a jostled ride, because the dampening force can't keep up with the stronger spring rate.

Adjustable coilovers allow you to tune the dampening forces to the rate and travel of the spring, giving you the ability to create a better "RIDE". Doesn't mean that ride will still be to harsh for you. Most established suspension tuners can provide you with a spring for your coilovers with a lesser rate, for a softer "RIDE", but then you might want them to adjust the range of the dampening, but from the sounds of it, I'm guessing you'll never adjust them anyways.

It seems like we've come to the Form vs. Function delimma... "I want my Camaro to look cool, but I want it to feel like a Cadillac."

If you still want to lower your car, but you're concerned about a comfy right, have you thought about stepping down to a 19" wheel, and increasing the tire sideway? You could still lower your car, but use some of the tire to help soften out your ride. But I guess that wouldn't look as cool...

Simple answer: Coilover > Drop Springs

Yea there you go buddy...you sound OVER-EDUCATED for your own good.

You know nothing about me and my ride preferences. This isn't my first rodeo as far as a lowered ride... Hell even my Harley is slammed.

I know what springs handle like in different cars but not a Camaro as all cars ride differently. And no nothing about coilovers and ride "on a Camaro". Thats why i ask.

Where did you get 19" from me telling you about 22's lol....get real.

Now back to my question im sticking 22's on with 30 series up front and most likely 25 series in the rear. I want my car to sit about a 1" or so above the tires. Which suspension would give me a better ride without the feeling of mini-truck hop/bounce.

I was actually thinking about the PFADT lowering spring w/sways F&R or Pedders coilovers. Also if you lower and raise your car with coilovers do you have to get car aligned every time? Thanx.

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 12-28-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
BINGO!!!!
Coil overs are what will give you the better ride and cornering ability.
Hope that answers your question.
THANX MAN...Is there a big difference in ride between the two options? Also when raising and lowering coilovers do you have to align car at every adjustment?

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 12-28-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #13
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe View Post
THANX MAN...Is there a big difference in ride between the two options? Also when raising and lowering coilovers do you have to align car at every adjustment?
Just changing out the springs to a lowering type spring will give you a "rougher" than stock ride.
TRUST ME, the coil overs will be a better choice and you will be able to corner a little more aggressive, if you wanted to. You will need an alignment. (If I can offer a suggestion, I say go with Pedders.)
Good luck and post up pics.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Ride quality is not just spring and damper rate, but also the amount of suspension travel. So in terms of Pedders, you will get the best ride quality by far with our coil overs because no matter what the height is, 2 in drop to OE HEIGHT, you will have the same full suspension travel. Using a drop coil with more that 3/4 of an inch in the front drop significantly limits the amount of shock travel, and may have long term durability issues with the front dampers.

mike
dms

Closed Thread