Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #43
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
...sweet, mine just got a bit more rare...

I have always been curious how they handle vehicle repairs with a discontinued color.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #44
matthook

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
Because it means less than 10,000 of our IBM Camaros have been produced, and therefore they are rare-- from that standpoint it is good news for those of us who have them.
yeah wooo!!! Mine got produced Friday so it must be one of the very last ones to be made

Team LFX Thread Link: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187109
Team LFX Group: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=306
matthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #45
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Well, I was going to trade my 2LT IBM on a Z/28 when they came out. I'll have to try on holding onto it now and give it to my son to keep.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #46
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
It will be decades, if ever, that these cars are collectables. A color isn't going to make it more valuable, any more than a serial number, other than number 1.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #47
ibmrs

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IBM
Glad i already have the ibm painted heritage grill on the car.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #48
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooVyper View Post
I recently ordered my IBM Camaro (October), I wonder how many more after mine were produced. I also wonder how many 2012 IBMs were produced.
My IBM is being built this week. I ordered in October.. whew.. I'll feel better when I get a VIN.

From FBODFATHERS Post, it looks like orders for Non ZL1 ibm are still being accepted and that the cutoff dates for these models in IBM will be announced shortly.
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #49
matthook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooVyper View Post
I recently ordered my IBM Camaro (October), I wonder how many more after mine were produced. I also wonder how many 2012 IBMs were produced.
Mine was produced friday so im willing to bet mine is probably going to be in the last 50 or so

Old 12-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #50
matthook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
It will be decades, if ever, that these cars are collectables. A color isn't going to make it more valuable, any more than a serial number, other than number 1.
I wouldnt say that... if i look on autotrader or kijiji, Aqua blue camaros are always 3-6 grand more expensive than other colors of equal trim and options, and they sell

Old 12-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #51
matthook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2430 View Post
Well, what do I do if something happens to my IBM, like someone keys it or I decide to put a different hood/front facia on it? Does this mean that I'll have to repaint my whole car?
I'm wondering this too... hopefully they keep the paint around for repairs?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #52
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
A couple of thoughts.........

We never like breaking 'bad news' - it's never our intention to upset our faithful. That said, there are times when we must.

Someone said "it's sad to see Imperial Blue Metallic go" - and they're correct.......and it was sad to see many colors go away --- over the past 100 years! I was one that loved Ash Gold in the 1968 model year. I hated that it was dropped for the 1969 model year (whoops...Fbodfather is showing his age once again.....) -- but the sun came up each day in 1969, and 1970, and 1971........and I found myself 'taken' by Fathom Green and Hugger Orange....and Garnet Red in the 1969 model year. I was sad to see Garnet Red go away-- but again, the sun came up in 1970 -- and I found Shadow Gray and Autumn Gold.................

It would be so much easier for the Camaro team (and perhaps you, the enthusiast) if we had a dedicated Camaro Plant..........we'd have more say in just about everything within the plant..........and we wouldn't have to negotiate with other brands that are built in Oshawa......

............the problem is that we HAD a dedicated Camaro (and Firebird) plant - and THAT didn't end well, now did it?

The Reality is that this industry continues to 'fragment' - meaning that there are more and more 'segments' -- and more and more 'nameplates' - so even if the size of the 'pie' (the total number of new cars and trucks sold each year) stayed the same, the slices (each nameplate's penetration into the market) get smaller. (and the pie got much smaller back in late 2007-- and it's not growing appreciably as of yet) Sooooo......because of this, it's vital that many assembly plants take on more than one carline.......because it's the only way we can make money on some cars and trucks. (we can't afford to build cars and trucks that we lose money on anymore.....that's one of the reasons why the Camaro -- and Firebird - went away for a while....)

In the case of Oshawa - we have two final assembly lines - that share a common paint shop. We build Camaros, Regals, Equini (that's plural for Equinox) and Impali. We will now be building the XTS at Oshawa as well.

We must preserve the 'traditional' Sport Car colors such as Victory Red, IOM, and Rally Yellow for the Camaro. The problem is that those colors would not be appropriate for the Equinox and the Regal and the Impala and the XTS. (altho we DO offer VR on Impala - but it's not a big seller...) So......we must work with our other Product Teams to negotiate colors that are acceptable -- and being that there are only so many paint lines available, we sometimes lose a color -- Someone asked 'well - what's it going to be replaced with' -- and I cannot answer that question other than to say that eventually it will be replaced. No - we are not getting a 'brand new' set of colors for 2013. Rather, as always, you will see a color go away and another come back..........

and when that happens we will upset some of you.

No matter what we do.

As I've said before - If I could suddenly wave a magic wand and provide THIRTY colors for the Camaro - we would still have some infuriated that I didn't include "Palomino Ivory" or "Tripoli Turquoise" or "Sequoia Green" or "Scottish Silver."

ha! I fooled you - there was no 'scottish silver' - I snuck that one in to see if you were paying attention......

The latest news to upset some happens to be Imperial Blue Metallic.

I happen to think it's stunning with Silver Stripes......and you are correct that the 'fire' in the paint on a sunny day is something to behold........

.........but the sun will come up in 2013 (God willin' and the creek don't rise - and some of the prophets are wrong about the world ending on 12/12/11.... )

I can tell you this with absolute certainty:
EVENTUALLY all of the colors will go away.........one at a time - replaced with something else. And each time one goes away, we will have those who will mourn the loss.

Again - none of us at Team Camaro want to upset you - but unfortunately it's simply in the nature of the Camaro - a nameplate that instills such passion and love.......

No - colors are not what makes a company go Bankrupt...........and no, the Team does not have its collective head up ........OK - I won't continue that response to an earlier post...........

What IS true: The Mighty ZL1 will be worth the wait - even if it's painted scotch plaid.................

Last edited by fbodfather; 12-14-2011 at 08:46 AM.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #53
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
it's not hard to mix paint...as long as you have the paint code.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #54
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthook View Post
I'm wondering this too... hopefully they keep the paint around for repairs?
Let's think this thru.................

We've built Chevrolets for 100 years..........in thousands of colors.

A very large number of them have had damage -

.........and they were repaired 'like new' --

The answer: The color will always be available for repairs.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #55
2 2

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1lt.rs. Bottle fed
This just means I have to take extra good care of the paint I am lucky to have
Old 12-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #56
matthook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Let's think this thru.................

We've built Chevrolets for 100 years..........in thousands of colors.

A very large number of them have had damage -

.........and they were repaired 'like new' --

The answer: The color will always be available for repairs.
perfect