Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #29
HeritageLS

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro (Victory Red)
Does anyone make a test pipe for the LFX? I haven't been able to find one? I'm not interested in going catless yet but my friend who has an Evo has told me it's only a matter of time before I change my mind lol. If I do sell my SOLO high flows I want to make sure I don't regret it.

Sycraft when you gutted the cats did you leave the other resonator on the high flows as is? Did you cut it off for a straight pipe. Solo says it would have a nasty sound without it. I'm curious. Also do you have any issues with exhaust smell? I don't really mind but if it's bad may sway things a bit
HeritageLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #30
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Yes, there will be some exhaust smell, anytime you run catless you can get it, its not bad though. Mine sounds AWESOME now, the only thing I did was cut a window on each cat and remove the cat material and then rewelded them shut. Look like normal SOLO cats still.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #31
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageLS View Post
Does anyone make a test pipe for the LFX? I haven't been able to find one? I'm not interested in going catless yet but my friend who has an Evo has told me it's only a matter of time before I change my mind lol. If I do sell my SOLO high flows I want to make sure I don't regret it.

Sycraft when you gutted the cats did you leave the other resonator on the high flows as is? Did you cut it off for a straight pipe. Solo says it would have a nasty sound without it. I'm curious. Also do you have any issues with exhaust smell? I don't really mind but if it's bad may sway things a bit
Gotta add my 2 cents on this... No test pipes I'm aware of.

When my Solo's self imploded I tossed them, resonators and all (mistake). But the rasp prompted an immediate Magnaflow resonated X-pipe purchase.

This fixed the rasp but not the smell. For me it was just too noticeable and a little nauseating (it's just a raw gas smell). After a couple months I gave in and put the stock cats back on- despite a slight performance reduction.

I wouldn't make any permanent changes to, or sell your Solo's until you've tried being catless for awhile.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #32
HeritageLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Gotta add my 2 cents on this... No test pipes I'm aware of.

When my Solo's self imploded I tossed them, resonators and all (mistake). But the rasp prompted an immediate Magnaflow resonated X-pipe purchase.

This fixed the rasp but not the smell. For me it was just too noticeable and a little nauseating (it's just a raw gas smell). After a couple months I gave in and put the stock cats back on- despite a slight performance reduction.

I wouldn't make any permanent changes to, or sell your Solo's until you've tried being catless for awhile.

Thanks for the input as well. My friend has an Evo that is catless and the smell isn't really bad at all now that he has a different tune. The original tune was pretty harsh. I have the stock cats back on for now. The extra $$ from selling the SOLOs would be nice to have especially with all of my upcoming expenses or to get a nice set of sways

I am curious if I can pass NY emissions with the stock cats and the supercharger. If not then I might as all go catless. No reason not to
Old 04-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #33
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Off topic a bit...but wish I could find a used set of the SOLO HFCs for a good price!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #34
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageLS View Post
I am curious if I can pass NY emissions with the stock cats and the supercharger. If not then I might as all go catless. No reason not to

Yes, you should be able to pass the NY emission test with the IPF system. Their check is basically the same as Massachusetts. I just had my emission check 2 weeks ago.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #35
HeritageLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Yes, you should be able to pass the NY emission test with the IPF system. Their check is basically the same as Massachusetts. I just had my emission check 2 weeks ago.

awesome. The system just keeps getting better
Old 04-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #36
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2016 Camaro #182300 | 2SS | HBM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo
My understanding is that the cats fail from excess oil entering when they are red hot. They will also fail if an injector sticks and floods fuel onto them when red hot.

Also, if your SC system deletes the PCV system and just vents to a can that fills with water, the water will eventually get sucked into the intake and destroy the cats in seconds.

Hope this helps

My Journals:
Erick's Mistress - Violet 2016 2SS
#182300 | 2SS | HBM |
Erick’s Mistress - 2010 2LT
#8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM | Litho #165 |
efpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #37
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2016 Camaro #182300 | 2SS | HBM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo
With respect; I'm not trying to imply or discredit anybody. I don't know enough about other systems to say anything about them. I'm definitely not a pro at this but I am willing to share information that I find and that may help. I'm just trying research information since I may be at the same risk.

I hope no one else thinks the way you do and that this forum can be open to anyone who might have an opinion to share and not just the few "experts" on the block.

rant off

My Journals:
Erick's Mistress - Violet 2016 2SS
#182300 | 2SS | HBM |
Erick’s Mistress - 2010 2LT
#8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM | Litho #165 |
efpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #38
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
I just put on long tube headers, and it looks like my stock cats are attached to the stock headers. So all you guys who put their stock cat back on had to cut it off the old headers to put on their new system, correct?
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #39
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Stock cats bolt to the stock exhaust manifolds (can't really call'em headers, they're too inefficient).

If you can find room for them, they could be welded to long tubes I guess.
I was able to use my stock cats because I'm running JBA "short" headers, which keep the cats in their stock location.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote