Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
How am i doing on paint care(Pics Inside) and Quick detail or Not?

New to detailing, never cared much about my truck i wanna keep the camaro in show room condition. I've had the car for about a month did a wax job about 2 weeks ago, been maintaing with quick detailer, heres the pic from this morning. Let me know how I'm doing. best shot i could get out in the direct sun.

AND!! how do i know when to wash or just quick detail dust is my major issue, is it ok just to use a duster and quick detail spots as needed or as yesterday i put about 150 miles on the car cruzing the back roads of wv and ohio and i accumulated a ton of dust. i dusted with the cali duster but it still looked fairly dusty so i washed to be safe , i was afraid to quick detail with that much dust in fear of harming the paint. What is the correct thing to do in these dusty situations?
Old 06-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
greg_74

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
I would be extra careful with a new black car, but on my SS I've quick detailed the whole car after the car was clean and got caught in the rain and it worked fine. Now my paint isn't perfect at all though. With yours I would make sure you have that coat of wax on there and if it gets a little dusty just use your car duster and the quick detailer for smaller spots here and there but if there is a lot of dust I would just wash it so be safe. Its fun having a black car huh? Haha. Btw she looks nice.

2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS #7590
345 HP Package, LPP Headers and ORY, GMMG, SLP CAI and Smooth Bellows, PHB, Chrome TTM's
greg_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Jferrell88

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_74 View Post
I would be extra careful with a new black car, but on my SS I've quick detailed the whole car after the car was clean and got caught in the rain and it worked fine. Now my paint isn't perfect at all though. With yours I would make sure you have that coat of wax on there and if it gets a little dusty just use your car duster and the quick detailer for smaller spots here and there but if there is a lot of dust I would just wash it so be safe. Its fun having a black car huh? Haha. Btw she looks nice.

well thank you, yes black is alot of fun huh, Its worth it though. I love my car so much i dont mind a bit
Old 06-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Take the Cali duster on your next road trip......When you achieve a speed over 75 roll down the window and toss it out. That does nothing but put small scratches in your paint. Let it get dusty then hose off the debris. The detailer is great but be cautious with the microfiber towel condition. They will hold dirt particles. They are cheap and if there is a question trash it and use a new one. Even washing a microfiber towel may not get all the debris out of it. Your car looks great but if you want to keep from the microscratches always rinse the car. Use clean microfiber towels. And enjoy!
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392

Looking good!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
There's nothing wrong with using a car duster to remove dust. Just don't try to remove dirt with it. And wash it from time to time. A lot of people use car dusters on their show cars, but with everything it must be used properly for best results.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Jferrell88

all good info guys thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
Take the Cali duster on your next road trip......When you achieve a speed over 75 roll down the window and toss it out. That does nothing but put small scratches in your paint. Let it get dusty then hose off the debris. The detailer is great but be cautious with the microfiber towel condition. They will hold dirt particles. They are cheap and if there is a question trash it and use a new one. Even washing a microfiber towel may not get all the debris out of it. Your car looks great but if you want to keep from the microscratches always rinse the car. Use clean microfiber towels. And enjoy!
i dropped a micro fiber towel on the ground ,and it got a bunch of leaves onit.As an experiment i keep washing it.So far i have washed it 9 times,and it still has LOTS of crap in it.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #9
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
i dropped a micro fiber towel on the ground ,and it got a bunch of leaves onit.As an experiment i keep washing it.So far i have washed it 9 times,and it still has LOTS of crap in it.
It may be a slight overreaction, but once something hits the ground, it's in the trash.

IMO, it's cheaper to buy new supplies and gives me "peace of mind" versus risking marring the paint finish.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
It may be a slight overreaction, but once something hits the ground, it's in the trash.

IMO, it's cheaper to buy new supplies and gives me "peace of mind" versus risking marring the paint finish.
I was just experimenting , i get bored sometimes

That rag got demoted to worshop countertop duster

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote