Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
drive without sway bar?

hey guys/gals. I have a slight noise in the rear end en over small bumps. its consistant with both sides, but only and a unit. Like if only one side get the bump you dont hear it but if theres a ridge in the road so both wheels go over theres a little clunk.
I have the pfadt stage 3 kit. i thought it was my springs being loose some how. but have had them out several times and just swapped the rear springs for the longer revised pfadt lowering springs. still the noise. i read on here about some people had the issue and it was the sleeves on the springs where not in the right spot and when they moved them it went away. i had a look at my springs but can not see any contact spots on the springs and all the sleeves are in place and seem to be doing there job. i recently changed to pfadt sway bar endlinks and still the noise is there. kinda sounds like the endlinks are loose, but they arent.
so what i want to do is unbolt my endlinks and secure my sway bar to the frame. then that way i know for sure its not them, just slowly process of elimination. i will only be going around the block a few times nothing too serious. i should be okay right?
any input is good input!!
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
You could drive it that way for a long time if you wanted to.. Just don't get crazy trying to "see how she handles" without it in there.

Make sure you tie up the swaybar where the endlinks mount.. It will rotate and you could cause damage if it's in the wrong position and you hit a bump..
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Caswell239

oh yea for sure, it will all be strapped in to the frames
Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell239 View Post
hey guys/gals. I have a slight noise in the rear end en over small bumps. its consistant with both sides, but only and a unit. Like if only one side get the bump you dont hear it but if theres a ridge in the road so both wheels go over theres a little clunk.
I have the pfadt stage 3 kit. i thought it was my springs being loose some how. but have had them out several times and just swapped the rear springs for the longer revised pfadt lowering springs. still the noise. i read on here about some people had the issue and it was the sleeves on the springs where not in the right spot and when they moved them it went away. i had a look at my springs but can not see any contact spots on the springs and all the sleeves are in place and seem to be doing there job. i recently changed to pfadt sway bar endlinks and still the noise is there. kinda sounds like the endlinks are loose, but they arent.
so what i want to do is unbolt my endlinks and secure my sway bar to the frame. then that way i know for sure its not them, just slowly process of elimination. i will only be going around the block a few times nothing too serious. i should be okay right?
any input is good input!!
1. The isolator placement issue was only applicable to the front springs. Rear springs were never an issue.

2. We definitely recommend disconnecting the sway bar as a trouble shooting step. First find a section of road that you can repeatedly generate the noise. Disconnect the sway bar to endlink interface. Secure the bar to the chassis so the arms don't come in contact with the control arms, then secure the endlink to the control arm so it doesn't rattle around or completely disconnect the endlink. Take it for a test drive over your section of road and if the noise remains you know it's not the sway bar system that's the cause of your noise.

Let us know if we can help out at all!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Caswell239

fianlly foud some time to test my theory out. Disconnected my endlinks and tied my sway bar to the subframe.
Took it for a spin. And noise is gone! So it's to do with the sway bar. I don't think it's endlinks because I had the same issue with the stock endlinks as I do with the pfadt endlinks.
So the bar is a solid piece so I don't think it's that. Which leads to either the bar mounts making noise for some reason or the connection of bar to endlinks
Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Check the fasteners holding the chassis brackets to the frame. If they aren't tight enough, the loading on the ends of the bar can wiggle the bar and the brackets until the bolt to hole clearances are taken up. Which will happen with a clunk that may get louder and more frequent over time.

Edit - you may not see any clear visual evidence as it doesn't take a lot of motion to get the clunking.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
kpwalls06
Cory

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6;
I go with Norm. I was hearing clunking after installing my practice sways and endlinks. Put the car up, and noticed the bolts holding my rear sway brackets were allowing the whole bare to move up or down slightly, causing a clunk. Tightened the bolts, no more noise. Good luck with your findings.
kpwalls06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Caswell239

I already checked that they are tiiiight. Like I'm worried if I-go-any-tighter-they-will-break kind of tight lol. I'm gonna put my stock bar in with my pfadt links and see if it comes back
Old 07-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Is there any chance that the bolts or nuts are bottommed out on the threads rather than tight because the stack of things being clamped is fully clamped tight?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Caswell239

Alright stock away bar back in with pfadt links no clunking. Bolts were not bottomed out they are no long enough to do so, so it's the bar/mounts.

Hmmm
Old 07-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Try this:

Bolt the Pfadt bar back up to the car with the Pfadt brackets but do not install the endlinks yet. Be sure to apply lube to the sway bar to bushing interface and bolt the brackets securely to the car. Try to articulate the bar by hand by grabbing one bar end and trying to rotate it. If it takes a significant effort to manipulate the bar place a washer between the bracket and the chassis and try it again, this should make it easier to rotate the bar within the bushing. Properly torque the rear bar brackets back into place as well as the endlinks. Take it for a test drive.

If it's still making noises let us know. There shouldn't be anything inherently noisy about the bar to bushing interface it's self, so long as it's properly lubricated with the supplied grease.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Caswell239

the bar does move quite freely with no endlinks in place. when i tested it first i had the endlinks disconnected and just rotated the the bar upward and zip tied it to the subframe. so the bar moves no problem there, the inside of the bushing is lubricated quite well but i will put some more on as i have a tube for the front that i havent installed yet.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
SS_TINHO

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I am having the same problem. I noticed if I jack the car up and move the front sway bar around it hits part of frame (that's what I think makes the most noise) then seems like the end links are loose or something is loose.