Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #71
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffintile View Post
Doesn't the afm and skip shift help keep overal cost down by eliminating the gas guzzler tax?
Yes. Before you buy the car. Afterwards, they're symbols of government oppression. Eliminate them! Fight the power!

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #72
L99SS

Drives: '10 Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Fly_Like_A_V6 View Post
For those who mentioned skip eliminator... Can someone educate me a little bit on why thats needed?? The process ? And whats shift skip?

And also some mentioned u can disable the afm... By not ruining the warranty? I read something handheld diablo or SCT tuner? Can someone tell me more about this??
Quote:
^ can someone answer this?? This question literally is the make it or break it for me... N i wanna buy it this weekend!! Ahhh!

In paddle mode, exclusively, with a downshift from 3>2 or above AFM won't activate. And it's free.

Last edited by L99SS; 02-19-2012 at 09:15 PM.
L99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #73
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
I've driven both, and they are both just as fast (the L99 is actually faster from stop/slow roll) so if you drove one that felt like 'the power was not there' you probably had one that had the wrong fuel and needed a fuse pull.
If you've driven both & think the L99 is faster, then you my friend need to learn to drive a stick better. I drove 3 different SS L99s, brand new with less then 5000 miles, as rentals for 1 week each. I drove a LS3 prior as my buddy owns a dealership in Nj, and let me take one for the day, about 7K miles on it...Needless to say after my research, I ordered a 2011 LS3. No comparison and 25HP more

Either way, they're both great cars...My 84 Z28 & 87 IROC were both autos, but this one I said manual all the way!

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #74
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
So I see you buy a cat in the sack? You go from what you're told about a product and what you read about one rather than try it out yourself?

LS3 you CAN'T go wrong. It's easy to learn to drive a stick and its much more fun to drive than to push a gas peddle and hold on like you're some great driver.
I'll put money that i would be a better stick driver than you being my first camaro was an 89 camaro manual. Bet you be granny shifting not double clutching like you should. If i were here in this trafic congested state id have a manual. Even test drove a black one
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #75
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Ahhh i forgot i made this thread! Ive actually been driving my l99 for about a week tryingto make AFM kick in ... I couldnt hear it until yesterday i was driving a steady 32mph and i finally heard it... All i can say wow people exagerate! Its not even bad ... It just sounds driving on a road that needs a little bit of paving or something ... And if im driving with my music on... Then AFM drone is non existent ... Im looking to get some flowmaster AMT ive read complaints about afm drone on that exhaust also ... Im hoping people are exagerating About it too
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #76
L99SS

Drives: '10 Camaro IOM
Quote:
Ahhh i forgot i made this thread! Ive actually been driving my l99 for about a week tryingto make AFM kick in ... I couldnt hear it until yesterday i was driving a steady 32mph and i finally heard it... All i can say wow people exagerate! Its not even bad ... It just sounds driving on a road that needs a little bit of paving or something ... And if im driving with my music on... Then AFM drone is non existent ... Im looking to get some flowmaster AMT ive read complaints about afm drone on that exhaust also ... Im hoping people are exagerating About it too
The stock exhaust does a good job of toning AFM noise down (kudos to acoustic engineers). Once you go aftermarket it will become more noticeable.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #77
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Im gonna tune out my AFM as for me its quite annoying, i dont like the slight delay from when u press the gas to kick it out of afm to get all pistons going and going slow it does vibrate a bit.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #78
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
I will stick with my L99. As far as the extra 26HP goes, I just put the supercharger on and I'm very happy. I would hate to have to shift gears all the time. I do alot of car cruises in the summer and don't want to be shifting gears all night. I have to admit I did think about going with a standard though. I'm very happy with my automatic.
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #79
ffnva40

Drives: Silver 2012 Camaro LS w black rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Tie 1 View Post
I had a L99 for six months and traded for LS3. Should have got the LS3
to begin with. But to each their own. Just my .02.Good luck with your decision.

How did you trade that in and not take a big hit on being upside down? Just curious because i have an LT V6 and I really shld have gone with the SS V8. Not hating the V6 still has plenty get up and go!
ffnva40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #80
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Don't make a mistake. Flowmasters may intensify any AFM or drone over the stock exhaust.
Get the Solo J-Pipes and you will not hear anything but the deep rumble of your exhaust.
I waited for over a year for this J-Pipe set up to be available from Solo and it's great.
I had no drone before and none now with the Solo muffler delete system on my L99
and couldn't be happier.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #81
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I had Flowmaster catbacks installed a couple of weeks ago, and made an appointment to have the AFM deleted that same day. On the way home actually.

I am so glad I did. With or without an aftermarket exhaust , AFM must be deleted , at all costs.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #82
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Don't make a mistake. Flowmasters may intensify any AFM or drone over the stock exhaust.
Get the Solo J-Pipes and you will not hear anything but the deep rumble of your exhaust.
I waited for over a year for this J-Pipe set up to be available from Solo and it's great.
I had no drone before and none now with the Solo muffler delete system on my L99
and couldn't be happier.
Everyone keeps telling me to get the solo j pipe set up and that its the best for AfM drone... I just dont like how the solo sounds compared toflowmaster ... Also ive read people saying how quiet the solo is.. And how its not that much louder than stock ...
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #83
intofx

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Camaro
AFM is the worst. It causes a hesitation in my car that has almost gotten me hit on more than one occasion. When I hit the gas, I expect the car to go. Not only is it annoying, it's flat out dangerous. The dealerships should be the ones tuning it out at customer request.
intofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #84
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by intofx View Post
AFM is the worst. It causes a hesitation in my car that has almost gotten me hit on more than one occasion. When I hit the gas, I expect the car to go. Not only is it annoying, it's flat out dangerous. The dealerships should be the ones tuning it out at customer request.
+
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote