Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Why people hate the passenger side dash...

Now lets get some obvious things out of the way, shall we? The most important thing being that 99% of cars have a plain, non interactive space in front of the passenger. The Camaro is no different but despite this, the most heard complaint about the 5th Gens interior is the "big blank space" in front of the passenger.

Well ladies and gentlemen, I think I have discovered that while the Camaro is no different than other cars, people like to complain about this passenger space. Yes I am here to bring closure, so lets jump right in.

This thought process was inspired by my lovely girlfriend who opened my eyes today on why people hate the passenger dash.

She exclaims, "I wish they would have done something over here ( reffering to space in front of her). Like, look you have that little computer in there and all those things to play with and we get nothing."

Then it hit me, passengers complain because they feel disconnected from what I dub the "Camaro Experience."

Now what is the Camaro experience you ask? Well its everything the car stands for provides the owner or driver with. The Experience is that random girl/guy coming up to you and asking you millions of questions about your car that would have otherwise never paid you any attention. It's when people speed up and follow close behind you to get a closer peek, or wave, or look at the car from every angle possible without crashing themselves.

One thing all of us who own the car have experienced is the mass draw and appeal this car has, to the point where it can even get annoying. Many of us have never experienced this with a car before and may never again with any other car. Its a relatively foreign experience to be honest.

The experience is both inside and outside the car. Now, inside the car the passenger is nothing more than that, a passenger. They do not get to partake in the experience like we do. In fact they cannot even see out of the car sometimes because they can't raise their seat =P.

Humans in general are fairly greedy creatures and we are quick to envy those who get attention. Remember what I said before, the Camaro Experience as I have dubbed it is very new to most of us and additionally those around us. Most of the time its rewarding and makes us kind of feel like a movie star for a few seconds.

People want to experience this themselves! As a passenger there is not much to experience besides sitting there, they are only spectators to the show.

Looping back to what my girlfriend said, and the general con-census that people want "something" there shows that people dislike the passenger side "space" because they want to be a part of the Camaro Experience.

Now what could be there? Doesn't matter really, just anything that allows them to get attention too. My guess would be some kind of fold out computer with cool shit in it. That way people will be like, "Hey I heard it has a cool computer in it! (the Camaro)." The passenger gets to show off the computer because as a driver you won't have as much experience as they will, you have to ****ing drive.

This allows the person to play a larger role in the experience and get some of that attention many people in general so desperately want.

I mean, it makes sense, why else would this car get attacked on its passenger side dash despite it being the same as any other car?

When you consider the unique characteristics of the Camaro, mainly its appeal, you find that maybe that is the reason people are complaining.

In conclusion, I'm personally convinced this is why people complain. They are greedy, envious, attention seeking people who want to be a part of something fun that they have never experienced before.

Let me know your thoughts and how crazy or sane you think I am.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Viper595
Redline drop, or go home

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
i think that was an insanely long read just to come to a realization that people are 5 year olds.
Viper595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Sorry, not gonna read it!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i started read it but it got really boring really quick
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
spurscar

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS A6
Women who have sat in mine so far have all said it's because the passenger seat is
way too low. GM really should have put dual power 6-way seats in the Camaros.

I don't think most people care that there's "nothing to do" on the dash, all cars are
like that. It's a point-of-view thing with these cars. A couple of the shorter folks
said they could never drive one of these cars because they can't see the road (not
realizing that the driver's seat raises up).

Wish there was a safe way to raise that passenger seat some.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
Viper595
Redline drop, or go home

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscar View Post
Wish there was a safe way to raise that passenger seat some.

phonebooks?
Viper595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i started read it but it got really boring really quick
+1
Old 11-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
have a tendency to think you have nothing to do with your time!..sounds like
maybe you need to be examined!..sorry!..sounds like ya need somethin' to do?
gotta remember!..it's just a car!..try not to get too carried away with yourself!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
You might put an etch-a-sketch in the glove box to entertain your guests?

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
There is plenty to do in the passengers seat! Maybe she is giving you the hint. Ask her if she would like to see the headliner, the console, or look out the back window !

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto

Last edited by 2010 Bumblebee; 11-09-2010 at 11:58 PM.
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #11
Kycamaross
RED JEWEL inthe BLUEGRASS

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 01 S-10 Xtreme
Hmmm. Let's see. This is a Camaro enthusiast website. You posted a thread having something to do with the Camaro. And the only responses some people can come up with, is that it is too long, too boring or that you have too much time on your hands. Well sir, I would like to thank you for posting this. It was a refreshing change to read something from someone who seems articulate, can spell and doesn't use the word "like" every other word.

I realize that I have only been a member for 7 months, but I just don't quite understand the reasoning behind blasting other members for posting something that, they themselves may not find interesting. If this had been a thread about some damn exhaust system, would the OP had gotten the same response??

This is the reason that a lot of people on this website will not post a thread.

Oh and my favorite; If someone post's a thread asking a question that has been asked a million time before, the "friendly" response is someone blasting the OP about using the search feature....Have you really looked into using the search feature? You get 15 pages of crap that does not pertain to the question that has been asked. Why the hell not just answer the damn question and be on your way to read "a more interesting thread".

The members on C5 are by and large a great group of friendly, helpful people, but damn.......Does it give you some sort of feeling of self gratification to blast other members for having the courage to post a thread????

Thanks OP for your thread and now that my caffeine deprived, work induced rant is over, I agree with you!!
Kycamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #12
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
You might put an etch-a-sketch in the glove box to entertain your guests?
LOL!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #13
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
That wasn't my response

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #14
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
You want to know why people complain about it? I'll tell you. It's because the car is low and the belt line is high and the passenger seat is non height adjustable. Taking all that into account you have a large majority of short people staring at a dash that in other cars would be where the windshield is. Since they aren't looking out the window all they see is dash and thats what they notice. Had the seat been adjustable I guaranty most of this complaining would never had appeared.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote