Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 04-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Arubberbaby
141LE

Drives: 14 AGM 1LE
Best Suspension specific to autocross

I'm wondering what you guys think for an autocross specific suspension as far as full adjustable coilovers or shocks and springs. I'm looking for the best performance possible. Even if its a while before I can get them because they're expensive.*
It will be on my 14 1LE. Current suspension is my version of the Pedders Permagrin. Using all BMR parts. 1in lowering springs, subframe connectors, complete bushing kit, and a 32mm rear sway bar.
I will also be upgrading to smaller/lighter 19x10.5 wheels and 305 tires.*
The car will see an occasional track day but will run full seasons of autocross.
*Thanks in advance. Matt
Old 04-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
The best car parts are ones that you feel comfortable with driving 150 mph next to a wall. A nice warranty cant hurt either.

Sounds like you got a good start. Keep driving the wheels and rubber will change your car dramatically. Dont forget a alignment that is as aggressive as you are comfortable with. Some people can drive on streets with some gnarly camber most would go nuts.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
Arubberbaby
141LE

Drives: 14 AGM 1LE
I've already done an alignment. I ride around with -1.8 deg of front camber. And it made a huge difference
I'm not going to upgrade right away but after the wheels and tires that is what I plan to do next. So I'm just trying to find out what the best parts out there are. I would really like to know what type of stuff the pirelli world challenge guys run. But that might not be my best option for a main focus of autocrossing.
Thanks for your input though. Keep some info coming guys.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Take a page from "So Cal Camaro" and search out some of his posts. He is the King of AutoX and has a 1LE too. His car is dialed in for AutoX.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Take a page from "So Cal Camaro" and search out some of his posts. He is the King of AutoX and has a 1LE too. His car is dialed in for AutoX.

T.
Hey T,
Wow, thanks for the kind words...I posted on OP poster's other post in suspension....your season is getting started out there, bummed I can't make it out for some events this year...hope you and Mike make some, by the way, DTC 30's suck, had brake fade issues at autocross yesterday, going into the garbage soon, back to Cobalt's...Later, Dannie
Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
Rad_dsm

Drives: 2011 synergy 2ss
So cal, what kind of brake shoes have you liked the best?
Rad_dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Cobalt Friction.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_dsm View Post
So cal, what kind of brake shoes have you liked the best?
If you're going on a road course, Cobalt Friction XR1/XR3 are the best I have tried...the Hawk DTC 30's I am currently running are ok, but will be switching back before I go on a road course.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
The JIR shocks from detroit speed and ride tech would be the best in my opinion. I really like how you can change the rear spring out with haveing to take off the whole shock. There designed differnt from the other brands. 305 you will have great grip
Old 04-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Rad_dsm

Drives: 2011 synergy 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
If you're going on a road course, Cobalt Friction XR1/XR3 are the best I have tried...the Hawk DTC 30's I am currently running are ok, but will be switching back before I go on a road course.
Nope, this is for autocross.
Rad_dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_dsm View Post
Nope, this is for autocross.

Straight autocross use, Hawk HPS are fine or HP+ if you want a little more bite, but they make noise on street...Cobalt Friction recommends XR3 pads front and rear for autocross...
Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
If it's for autocross only why wouldn't the stock 1LE pads work fine. Other guys have run the stock 1LE pads on road course with much higher speeds than autocrossing and have had now issues. So I don't get why the stock pads wouldn't be fine for autocross. But I'm always ready to learn if someone has an actual reason why.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #13
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
If it's for autocross only why wouldn't the stock 1LE pads work fine. Other guys have run the stock 1LE pads on road course with much higher speeds than autocrossing and have had now issues. So I don't get why the stock pads wouldn't be fine for autocross. But I'm always ready to learn if someone has an actual reason why.
rad_dsm asked which pads I liked best, not whether the stock pads would work or not...stock pads are ok for autox, but do not have the same bite that Cobalt Friction or even the Hawk HPS pads.

I know many including myself that have cooked their stock pads on road courses due to heat of multiple sessions, which by the way, 1LE pads are no different than an SS pads. Cobalt Friction pads don't fade or break down due to heat in my experience...
Old 04-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #14
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
rad_dsm asked which pads I liked best, not whether the stock pads would work or not...stock pads are ok for autox, but do not have the same bite that Cobalt Friction or even the Hawk HPS pads.

I know many including myself that have cooked their stock pads on road courses due to heat of multiple sessions, which by the way, 1LE pads are no different than an SS pads. Cobalt Friction pads don't fade or break down due to heat in my experience...
Thanks for the explanation and insight on your experiences. It helps to hear the reasons from people that actually use their car on a track regularly like you do.

I did already know that the 1LE and SS pads and calipers are the exact same too (other than color). From what I know about the ZL1 brakes I believe the pad material for the ZL1 is also the same as the SS/1LE (Ferodo 1000) just with a larger pad surface area.