Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
Burlap

Drives: 06 Dodge Dakota
DRM?

Does the head unit play DRM (Digital Rights Management) content? DRM mp3's are most commonly downloaded from subscription based services (napster, rhapsody, etc) that expire after a period of time.

It'd be nice to load up a whole thumbstick with music legally and at a reasonable price.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
hhhmmm, thats a good question
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlap View Post
Does the head unit play DRM (Digital Rights Management) content? DRM mp3's are most commonly downloaded from subscription based services (napster, rhapsody, etc) that expire after a period of time.

It'd be nice to load up a whole thumbstick with music legally and at a reasonable price.
Well, the answer is sort of a yes and no. MP3s themselves are not DRM'd, so you wouldn't have problems with pure MP3s. Subscription-based content is I believe WMA, which is DRM'd and will not play properly. If you have a device that plays the subscription music, these songs *may* play on the head unit. Each device is different and some allow the playing of DRM'd material over the USB port and some do not.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help. That's just the nature of DRM, always getting in the way...

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Napster songs will not play thru USB. Tried on my Creative Zen X-FI, brings up the name but skips the tracks. At least so far I have not been able to get them to play.

My solution is put MP3 player in back cup holder and use AUX Line in. Works ok for me.

Regular CD's songs copied to my Zen work fine.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
DavidF

Drives: Chevy HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Napster songs will not play thru USB. Tried on my Creative Zen X-FI, brings up the name but skips the tracks. At least so far I have not been able to get them to play.

My solution is put MP3 player in back cup holder and use AUX Line in. Works ok for me.

Thanks for that, I was wondering about my Zen/Rhapsody.
DavidF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Burlap

Drives: 06 Dodge Dakota
Quote:

That was going to be my solution as well, it's just not as, well, clean as just a USB stick. It is what it is, tho. Thanks man.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:

I burn my napster songs to CD and then rip them back to MP3 .. they will then work

Crowley