Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #57
tony_c

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS, 2010 Equinox LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I'm with you on this one. A 302 would be awesome, but we haven't heard anything like this might happen. I would love this setup with everything being forged, a motor you can give a beating.
How's this for any idea? A Direct Injection V8 for the new Z!! Here's a quote from this link:
http://www.automochatter.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2257

"The experimental engine is based on GM's current all-aluminum Gen IV 6.2L V-8 (L92) found in the Escalade, GMC Yukon Denali and Hummer H2. Depending on the application, the powerplant, which sports port fuel injection, variable valve timing (VVT) and dual-cam phasing, is rated between 380-403 hp in stock form.

However, with a little tweaking to accommodate the auto industry's latest fuel-injection hardware, the prototype V-8 is producing well north of 450 hp (on gasoline), says Dave Sczomak, development engineer-GM Powertrain Advanced Engineering."

Sounds pretty good to me.
tony_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #58
Dboy23
2G1FB1EV7A9100028

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post
Right. Regardless of the history of the Z/28, the Z/28 is the only badge that belongs to the Camaro alone, so it's like to be the halo Camaro version.

Furthermore, the model for muscle car success is the Mustang. So the model lines of the Camaro will likely mimic the Mustang's success story: V6, GT and Shelby = V6, SS and Z/28.
Same with Dodge (next year), they're gonna have a V6, R/T (V8), and SRT (S/C V8) Challenger.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #59
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Who really cares if a factory Z/28 exceeds the performance of the GT350? Ford doesn't even make the GT350. Ford currently offers only the base Mustang, the Mustang GT and the Shelby Mustang GT500.
From what I understand they will be on the market at the same time... you being a Ford man I figured you would have known that. It's expected to be about $63,000 (at least that's the what the article I read said).

So to answer your question. Anyone buying a Z/28 cares, or anyone who enjoys knowing vehicle statistics, especially muscle car guys like us...

Yes, Ford currently offers base Mustang, the Mustang GT and the Shelby Mustang GT500. Chevrolet currently offers a LS/LT/SS models and were all hoping for the Z/28 in the future, whos to say the GT350 won't come in the future, again a reason to care. Were no talking about the here and now of whats currently available, were talking about the future... hence my point.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #60
76CamaroLT

Drives: 4wheels
I think GarageLogic's point is that Ford will not be making the GT350. It will be offered by Shelby.
76CamaroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #61
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76CamaroLT View Post
I think GarageLogic's point is that Ford will not be making the GT350. It will be offered by Shelby.
Either way it does not mater, it's still a Ford, and competition to the Camaro. That's my original point.

IMHO I don't think thats what he meant, because he goes on to mention what Ford currently offers. But again either way, does not mateter to my point.

I personally can't wait to see what the Z/28 has to offer, it's almost guaranteed at this point it will be offered. I am happy with my SS, I have always wanted an SS. If I want the power and performance of the Z/28 all I have to do is mod mine, no biggy, I still like the SS regardless of what Chevrolet has done with it in recent years. But I will also respect all that was and is to be Z/28.

Last edited by SummoneR; 03-12-2010 at 11:59 AM.
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #62
zora2mac8
Deano

Drives: Cyber Gray Metallic SS
Great Success!!!!!!!!

HTML Code:
http://ny5thgen.com/ZORAMAC8%20Z.htm
zora2mac8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #63
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76CamaroLT View Post
Correct. The GT350 is not a factory produced Ford vehicle. Yes, it is still a Mustang, but so is the ZL575 Camaro. Those cars are not the benchmarks Ford and GM are using when estabishing the short and long term plans for their ponycar offerings and/or their performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Either way it does not mater, it's still a Ford, and competition to the Camaro. That's my original point.
Your logic is seriously flawed. Hennessey, Lingenfelter, Nickey, etc. are "still a Chevrolet" but have nothing to do with factory performance or offerings. How many times do we have to go down this road on this forum? Do some research before you post.

Quote:
IMHO I don't think thats what he meant, because he goes on to mention what Ford currently offers. But again either way, does not mateter to my point.
Your assumption was, once again, incorrect. See above.

Quote:
I personally can't wait to see what the Z/28 has to offer, it's almost guaranteed at this point it will be offered. I am happy with my SS, I have always wanted an SS.
I'm looking forward to it, as well. I had originally planned to get an SS at some point, but now that the Z looks to be all but officially announced by GM, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain by showing a little patience.

Quote:
If I want the power and performance of the Z/28 all I have to do is mod mine, no biggy, I still like the SS regardless of what Chevrolet has done with it in recent years. But I will also respect all that was and is to be Z/28.
Yep, and after all of that modding is done, it'll still be a SS, not a Z28. That's just the cold hard truth.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #64
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Correct. The GT350 is not a factory produced Ford vehicle. Yes, it is still a Mustang, but so is the ZL575 Camaro. Those cars are not the benchmarks Ford and GM are using when estabishing the short and long term plans for their ponycar offerings and/or their performance.

Your logic is seriously flawed. Hennessey, Lingenfelter, Nickey, etc. are "still a Chevrolet" but have nothing to do with factory performance or offerings. How many times do we have to go down this road on this forum? Do some research before you post.
From what I read in the article, it read as if Ford was bringing it back, so my assumption was based on what was read in the article. If what you really meant was what was pointed out then why did you just not state it in the beginning rather than make it sound as if what Ford "currently" offers.

I understand the rationality about Hennessey and Lingenfelter, it's all the same as a Saleen Mustang, it's a Ford, made by Saleen. As you point out the GT350 is a Ford made by Shelby. But the Shelby GT500 is not, so you can see why I would have read that from the article.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to it, as well. I had originally planned to get an SS at some point, but now that the Z looks to be all but officially announced by GM, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain by showing a little patience.
That's awesome! Congrats when you do get one.

Quote:
Yep, and after all of that modding is done, it'll still be a SS, not a Z28. That's just the cold hard truth.
That's fine, because again, I have always wanted an SS, not the Z/28

In all we digress from my original post and point. Which is moot at this point because now it has been cleared that the GT350 is not a "Ford Mustang" as the GT500 is. Thanks for that information.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #65
justinyvehc

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6 speed manual
Im new here and just got my new SS this week. I thought long and hard about holding out for the Z28, but if its anything like the first release of the camaro, predications of a 2011 release for the Z will more likely end up a 2012 release . Then the first 6 months of supply will all have premiums added to the price tag, Not to mention sorting out any potential issues that might arise on a big HP whip. So im quite comfortable with whats available now and trading up in a few years when the price has settled, the issues are sorted, and maybe they will make more options available after first release.
justinyvehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #66
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinyvehc View Post
Im new here and just got my new SS this week. I thought long and hard about holding out for the Z28, but if its anything like the first release of the camaro, predications of a 2011 release for the Z will more likely end up a 2012 release . Then the first 6 months of supply will all have premiums added to the price tag, Not to mention sorting out any potential issues that might arise on a big HP whip. So im quite comfortable with whats available now and trading up in a few years when the price has settled, the issues are sorted, and maybe they will make more options available after first release.
I agree with your assumptions. I think it will be offered in mid-late 2011 as a 2012, 45th anniversary year, model.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #67
mondain

Drives: toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I'm with you on this one. A 302 would be awesome, but we haven't heard anything like this might happen. I would love this setup with everything being forged, a motor you can give a beating.
I'm confused. A 302 as in 302ci? The 6.2L engine is 378+ cubic inches, why would you be happy with a smaller engine?
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #68
Black Zed

Drives: '82 Z28
any mods done to your own car are cool. It's your car do what you want to it. Most car guys aren't looking to get their money back from the mods they do to their new cars, they know they won't get it back, they just want their car to sound better, look better...whatever it is they are adding to it. Anyway, we all love Camaro's, so be happy that the other guy wants to improve his Camaro, or if he's happy with it the way it is. Some people are stock happy and some are mod happy....let's just be happy the new Camaro is being built and GM is sticking around for a little while longer. amen? amen.
I personally feel the '82 Z28 engine was a useless piece of steel (rated at what felt like 35HP on roids), so i took it out along with the tranny, along with entire drive train and am rebuilding the way i want it. 383 with over 400HP/torq. and TKO 600 tranny, with aluminum driveshaft, ford (booo!!!) 9" rear end with 3.70 gears, had some '85 IROC rims redone, lowered car 2" and all new suspension under her too. Now just needs an interior job and some paint...$$ ran out, so that will have to wait. Oh ya and added a cowl to the original hood, actually looks pretty cool, IMHO.
And in case anyone was wondering....Z is pronounced zed in Canada, i have to say it sounds cooler than zee. No offense eh! lol
Black Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #69
76CamaroLT

Drives: 4wheels
I had a '82 Z28 pace car w/ 4-speed which wasn't too bad, but it had Intake/carb/headers/Exhaust. Oh, and 4:11s out back helped.

The biggest SLUG was my '81 Z28 350ci auto all stock. It had a whole 185HP. It was a beautiful car, but a friend with a Beretta GTZ w/ a Quad 4 would literally run circles around it.

Sorry, I know..OT
76CamaroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #70
BlackZCamaro
No 3rd Gen Lovin.

Drives: Seven and counting......
To hell with the Z/28, when can I order a ZL1?

1967 SS 396/375, 1969 327/350, 1969 427/450, 1970 350/360 LT1, 1971 LT1 FI/?, 2000 383 FI Z28, 2002 1SC Z28.
BlackZCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote