Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-13-2007, 12:19 AM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28camaro2471 View Post
... If I were in a union, I probably would be pro-union. From the outside looking in, it's pretty easy to see that unions helped put GM in the situation they are in now. From the inside looking out, you have obvious biases.

I'd call ouside looking in, without having experienced the "in" firsthand, a bias too! Not a bad thing, it's just human nature - we can't help it. By the way - it sound like I'm defending Unions whole-heartedly, but to be honest, I have mixed opinions. I'm becoming a technology teacher, and my Father was in a Union, but I don't quite trust them...

Yes, unions served a purpose and at one point were critical to establishing worker's rights, rights that even I as a non-union worker enjoy. However, unions got greedy. How else can you explain people who empty garbage cans and sweep floors for $20.00/hr? Or assembly quotas where people can get paid for 8 hours, but only work 4 hours and play cards the rest of the night? Right here at Delphi in Rochester, NY. Of course they sold the plant here given their lack of profitability.

True, true, and true.
I agree with you on the garbage-man thing
The problem is that most people in the US want things for cheap, but they are unwilling to spend a little more for a much better product. As far as I'm concerned - if you can afford it, and you want it, then buy it! but don't complain about what you paid for it, or your lack of ability to pay.
But nobody can tell me with a striaght face that over time, if Unions just disappeared, Corporations wouldn't get greedy, and start treating workers like Toyota treats theirs - shit.

Nothing personal man, but we both know that if they established unions at the Toyota plants it would be bad for Toyota, which would be good for GM, so I guess when it comes to them, I'm pro-union. Maybe I don't hate unions after all.
Doesn't mean anything about unions to you in this case, pro or con. You just want to see toyota burn. Which - to me - would be better then 10 years worth of Independance day fireworks in one night!

I think I'm going to have some apple pie and drive one of my Chevrolets. Two of which were assembled in our great neighbor to the North. Nothing sarcastic about Canada, how can't you love a place that has great hockey, beer and the best strip clubs in the world?
I'll take a shot at Canada here -I love the place, but can't resist - we could dance our military into Canada and annex the whole Country in a years time...not saying I'd want to though...so to me Canada is as much US as we are.

I apologise for my candid remarks above, but I needed to put in my two cents...
Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #16
gurulu68

Drives: 68 camaro rs
Ah, we could dance our military into any country and annex it if we REALLY wanted to. But lets get back to the subject, WHEN IS THAT CAMARO COMMING OUT, I CAN"T WAITE ANY LONGER!!!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:35 AM   #17
Mr. Wyndham

That's not the subject. The toyota plant is... sorry - I had too!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #18
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
The Union I am part of would be the perfect poster child for why most people dislike unions. It’s a 95% to 5% union, that is, 95% of the time they are fighting for the wrong reason and 5% of the time the union is fighting to benefit everyone as a whole… I’m sorry, but most unions have out lived their purpose… I would rather be “Company” any day; actually have a better chance of being treated fairly…
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #19
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallsoldier View Post
I believe Ford got top quality award this year over chrysler, GM, and toyota. lol, facts, an unkown quality of chevy fans.

By Katie Merx
June 1, 2007

General Motors Corp., once the symbol of big, slow corporate America, virtually matched Toyota Motor Corp., the icon of lean manufacturing, in North American assembly plant productivity last year for the first time since it has been measured, industry research group Harbour Consulting reported Thursday.

Toyota logged 22.05 hours of plant labor per vehicle assembled, while GM reported 22.15 hours, a difference of one-tenth of an hour, or just 6 minutes per vehicle.

"General Motors essentially caught Toyota in vehicle assembly productivity," consultancy President Ron Harbour said.

The results come at a turbulent time for Detroit's signature industry and at an interesting crossroads in the GM-Toyota relationship that hinges on their manufacturing partnership in California, among other projects.

Toyota seized the global sales title from GM in the first three months of the year. But at the same time, GM is working to leapfrog Toyota's fuel-efficient hybrid technology with its Volt series hybrid and fuel-cell concepts.

And now GM is nipping at Toyota's heels in vehicle assembly – long a key to Toyota's success.

Among Detroit automakers, GM had the most productive assembly plants in the Harbour Report, and scored best overall, including in stamping parts and building engines and transmissions.

The results come as GM and other Detroit automakers prepare to begin formal contract negotiations with the UAW.

Automakers' plant-floor efficiency has direct effects on bottom-line profits and allows automakers to charge consumers less or put more content, such as air bags or electronics, into vehicles.

GM said its latest Harbour Report results tell a story of its continuing improvement, with GM closing the productivity gap with Toyota by nearly 85 percent since 1998 and capturing bragging rights as the first automaker to have its plants capture top productivity honors in three of Harbour's four award categories. GM won in vehicle assembly, engine-making and transmission manufacturing. It did not win in stamping.

"GM's leadership in three of the four manufacturing categories demonstrates we are transforming the company for sustainable, long-term success," Gary Cowger, GM group vice president of global manufacturing and labor relations, said in a statement. "This success is a result of our people being involved in the business like never before."

Analysts said the marked improvement in productivity is important, but is just one of many things GM needs to accomplish and continually improve as it fights to return to profitability and restore its reputation as a quality manufacturer and battles Toyota for the dominant spot in the global auto industry. Those things are all important to avoid further North American losses and job cuts at the company.

Harbour said GM's improved productivity is impressive because it came amid production cuts of about 5 percent last year and before the company fully realized the benefits of cutting its hourly workforce by 34,410 through a buyout and early retirement program.

"Improving productivity in the face of lower production is a huge accomplishment, but none of the domestic manufacturers can afford to let up," Harbour said. "Toyota is not going to slow down."

Toyota took Harbour Report honors again this year for leading the six largest North American automakers in total manufacturing productivity, using 29.93 hours of labor for every vehicle produced. That was slightly higher than 29.40 hours the year earlier, which Harbour attributed to the automaker's launch of new plants and several new vehicles.

But GM plants took top honors in three Harbour categories, and its vehicle assembly productivity trailed Toyota by just 6 minutes.

"We are virtually deadlocked," said GM spokesman Dan Flores, adding that GM – like Toyota – is focused on continuous improvement.

The Oshawa, Ontario, plant that assembles the Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick LaCrosse and Buick Allure led assembly plants for the most efficient productivity, with 15.68 hours per vehicle, followed closely by the adjoining Oshawa plant that produces the Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo.

GM's Spring Hill, Tenn., four-cylinder engine plant turned in the best performance of any engine plant, at 2.27 hours per engine, edging out Toyota's Buffalo, W. Va., plant by just more than 1 minute, with 2.29 hours per engine.

And GM's Toledo transmission plant took top honors, with 2.54 hours per transmission. Toyota and Honda transmissions were absent from the top transmission lists because none of the Japanese automakers had a full transmission plant at the time of the survey, Harbour said, adding that that will change.

"It's all very encouraging for GM, but it is just one aspect of making your company profitable," said auto analyst Erich Merkle of IRN Inc. in Grand Rapids. "There's the jobs bank, health care costs, legacy costs, all those issues are also weighing on General Motors. It's not enough for GM, given the position they're in, to match Toyota. They've got to beat them."
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #20
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
To the person commenting about Ford taking quality awards over GM and Toyota....

The Mustang was the only Ford that won a quality award over it's competition....which is.....oh, wait, there really isn't any other car in the Mustang's category, so good job Mustang for taking 1st place out of 1 competitor...way to go (you know, Mustangs can win on the streets/strips too....when Camaros aren't there).

The fact that the Mazda MX-5 Miata won an award shouldn't count for Ford anyway...seeing as Ford only has a 33.3% stake in Mazda...sorry, majority rules, that's a Mazda, not a Ford.

The other 3 winners (the Mercury Milan, the Lincoln MKZ, and the Lincoln Mark LT) are somewhat misleading. Sure they are made by Ford companies, but they aren't made by the same guys/gals making the Ford 500 (then the Mercury Montego would have won, not the Milan) or the Explorers, Escapes, Expeditions, etc. Like I said, misleading. Does anyone really believe that the same workers that build the POS Escapes and 500's were the ones building the Jaguar XK's and Aston Martin Vanquish?

So what actual Ford products were tops in quality awards? The Mustang....that's it...and, as mentioned, that win, has an asterisk beside it.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #21
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
To the person commenting about Ford taking quality awards over GM and Toyota....

The Mustang was the only Ford that won a quality award over it's competition....which is.....oh, wait, there really isn't any other car in the Mustang's category, so good job Mustang for taking 1st place out of 1 competitor...way to go (you know, Mustangs can win on the streets/strips too....when Camaros aren't there).

The fact that the Mazda MX-5 Miata won an award shouldn't count for Ford anyway...seeing as Ford only has a 33.3% stake in Mazda...sorry, majority rules, that's a Mazda, not a Ford.

The other 3 winners (the Mercury Milan, the Lincoln MKZ, and the Lincoln Mark LT) are somewhat misleading. Sure they are made by Ford companies, but they aren't made by the same guys/gals making the Ford 500 (then the Mercury Montego would have won, not the Milan) or the Explorers, Escapes, Expeditions, etc. Like I said, misleading. Does anyone really believe that the same workers that build the POS Escapes and 500's were the ones building the Jaguar XK's and Aston Martin Vanquish?

So what actual Ford products were tops in quality awards? The Mustang....that's it...and, as mentioned, that win, has an asterisk beside it.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham

Nice!
You know, I saw a Mustang commercial the other day, and the bastards took a shot at Camaro and Challenger(IMO).
And I quote: "Since Mustang doesn't have any competition, we just had to out-do ourselves this year."
I almost threw My shoe at the TV!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #23
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Pleeease.... If I pulled up next to a Mustang in a Charger SRT8, I bet Ford would have some competition.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #24
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Eisenhower...sure, there are actually quite a few cars out there that can beat a Mustang, and a whole other group that can compete. Ford can get away with saying it though since there really isn't a direct competitor to the Mustang right now.

The Charger gets put in a different category because it's a "family sedan"...yes, even the sweeeet SRT8 version.

The Cherokee SRT8 will smoke a Mustang too, but it doesn't count as competition either.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #25
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Ah yes, sorry... 4-door= family sedan. That's cool, we all know Ford's days are numbered
Old 06-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #26
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
Pleeease.... If I pulled up next to a Mustang in a Charger SRT8, I bet Ford would have some competition.
Yeah the SRT-8s will smoke a Mustang, but what do they MSRP for again? :p

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Yeah the SRT-8s will smoke a Mustang, but what do they MSRP for again? :p
Exactly
Old 06-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #28
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Fine... maybe that's overkill. The R/T's are plenty sufficient and they start at 31k