Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #57
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
And how do we know these 0-60 runs were done on level ground? It's not hard to get great times going downhill people.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #58
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
And how do we know these 0-60 runs were done on level ground? It's not hard to get great times going downhill people.
One of the guys recorded his time going UP HILL. He used his GPS to see what the elevation change was from start to finish.

There is no smoke and mirrors here. If these were from a Camaro you'd never think twice about it. It's comical.

Why don't you go read the thread I posted if you want all the details of each run. Most people included everything with their posted time.

It seems the biggest obstacle is getting off the line without boiling the tires.

Something you guys gotta remember is that a lot of the Challengers have 3.92 gears. That makes a pretty big difference in acceleration.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #59
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
If these were from a Camaro you'd never think twice about it. It's comical.
Wanna bet? I'm not biased...I would have asked this question if my Grandma had posted her 0-5 mph claim on her electric Rascal scooter.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #60
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
I would have asked this question if my Grandma had posted her 0-5 mph claim on her electric Rascal scooter.
That's funny man.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #61
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
he just found a better vehicle in his opinion.....

lol
As Wesley Snipes said: "Some mother******* always gotta' skate up hill..." LOL. Some people are always startin' stuff Hey - I think it helps keep some sanity here, sometimes

Quote:
One of the guys recorded his time going UP HILL. He used his GPS to see what the elevation change was from start to finish.

There is no smoke and mirrors here. If these were from a Camaro you'd never think twice about it. It's comical.

Why don't you go read the thread I posted if you want all the details of each run. Most people included everything with their posted time.

It seems the biggest obstacle is getting off the line without boiling the tires.

Something you guys gotta remember is that a lot of the Challengers have 3.92 gears. That makes a pretty big difference in acceleration.
This IS a Camaro site So, can one get a limited slip in the rear ends on all models now? Those are some bad@$$ gears, for sure!

I, too, just don't really understand why so many have jumped ship... You've ordered, deposited, and will be getting your cars soon! I'm not trying to take anything away from our Dodge friends, but all this says to me is that I think most people doing this really aren't Camaro people. That's cool. If you want muscle, there ya' go. I think it just leaves more opportunities for others to get a Camaro who would've had to wait. I can see the money thing - you can't argue that. Everyone has their priorities though. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Camaro is a better well-rounded car, exterior, interior, powertrain, chassis. Styling in/on the interior and exterior is subjective, but originality is where I think Camaro pulls ahead (if only a bit if you don't like the style) because it doesn't have parts (or many) from another car on the same platform. I won't go so far as to say there's something wrong with that because when I got my '02, I didn't care about how the interior looked, how it felt, or how it fit. I wanted speed, and I wanted it cheap. Everyone's going to be looking for what they want to, and if they find it in another car, my hat's off to you and I'm happy for ya'. I wish it could be for Camaro, to bump those sales numbers up, but I can't get on someone for jumping ship too much. As long as you're happy; that's what's important

Congrats'

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #62
kanakattack

Drives: wife's xterra
congrats to everyone that gets the car that they want, I can see the lure of getting a Challenger, it is a known quality, our beloved Camaro is almost mythical in the sense that we really don't know what to expect other than the pictures, the promises, and the anticipation that it will live up to our expectations. I can also see the backing down by GM on some things like full ABL, and the delay in production as well as the way that the orders are being determined. All of these are like paper cuts, small, hurts like all but will not kill you, to some these paper cuts add up and they don't want to be cut again regardless of how small so they get out of the situation. I as well as many others on this forum are willing to endure more paper cuts if necessary, but I do not think any less of those who want to get out of the situation. The Challenger is a good car, a feather in the Dodge lineup, and I hope it will be so successful for them that it gets them out of their financial situation as I hope the Camaro does for GM, because the bottom line is we gain strength from those who can push us to become better.
kanakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #63
Speedy1975
FASTER!

My deal was I have absolutely no loyalty to any manufacturer. I buy what I like from whomever. My main concerns were price, aesthetics, performance, in that order. The Challenger fit that bill exactly for me.

I will say had just one of the four dealers I visited accepted my GSU discount, I'd never have looked beyond the Camaro.

I've always been partial to Chevy over Dodge, but I'm no die hard Camaro loyalist. 5 years ago you couldn't have given me a Dodge anything, however as with Ford and Chevy both, I believe quality has improved. It had to if the big three were going to even be remotely competitive with the likes of Toyota and Honda.

I've only owned one American car my entire life, a 1992 GMC Sonoma which I only kept for a year. I've had 4 Toyota 4x4 trucks (including my current 4Runner) and 2 Honda Accords since (both I still own) and I've not had a single problem to speak of with any of these. I hope the Dodge Challenger gives me the same reliability and I hope your Camaros are everythign you hope/want them to be as well.

Warranties have gotten longer, and manufacturing processes better. Hopefully we all benefit.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #64
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
My deal was I have absolutely no loyalty to any manufacturer. I buy what I like from whomever. My main concerns were price, aesthetics, performance, in that order. The Challenger fit that bill exactly for me.

I will say had just one of the four dealers I visited accepted my GSU discount, I'd never have looked beyond the Camaro.

I've always been partial to Chevy over Dodge, but I'm no die hard Camaro loyalist. 5 years ago you couldn't have given me a Dodge anything, however as with Ford and Chevy both, I believe quality has improved. It had to if the big three were going to even be remotely competitive with the likes of Toyota and Honda.

I've only owned one American car my entire life, a 1992 GMC Sonoma which I only kept for a year. I've had 4 Toyota 4x4 trucks (including my current 4Runner) and 2 Honda Accords since (both I still own) and I've not had a single problem to speak of with any of these. I hope the Dodge Challenger gives me the same reliability and I hope your Camaros are everythign you hope/want them to be as well.

Warranties have gotten longer, and manufacturing processes better. Hopefully we all benefit.
There isnt anything wrong with the Challenger.

It just isn't as nice as the Camaro.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #65
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
he just found a better vehicle in his opinion.....

lol
Don't get me wrong, I think the Challenger looks fantastic. If there where no Camaro, I'd be likely to get one. It's got the muscle wibe about it and the one I sat in at a dealer looked so great in black I might actually forgo my normal "don't buy black because it's hard to clean"-rule, and yes it's comfortable. What I did hate was the sunroof and there's no way in hell I'll buy a car with automatic transmission in it.

BUT. It's not as sleek as the Camaro, most likely does not get as good mileage, it's got a very boring interior (seriously, 4-spoke wheel on a muscle car?), the Camaro has way more colors and features standard...and finally and most importantly, I can not in good conscience buy a car with worse handling when I have the option to buy one with better. Plus I love my GM car and it has been very good to me, so I'm sticking with what I know.

Would like to conclude with that if I had the money I would have both a Camaro and a Challenger, and a Mustang. But I don't so I'll have to pcik one, and that's Camaro.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #66
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
There isnt anything wrong with the Challenger.

It just isn't as nice as the Camaro.

Eh, it's just a matter of taste

personally, both design cues are in a league of their own

GM chose to have the Camaro more modern with a tad bit of the retro look, same goes for the interior

Chrysler chose the Challenger be a lot more retro while incorporating the modern look as well, can't say the same for the interior but hey it's all about taste

BTW- the rumor about the Evic timer is false, it's very accurate

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #67
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post

GM chose to have the Camaro more modern with a tad bit of the retro look, same goes for the interior

Chrysler chose the Challenger be a lot more retro while incorporating the modern look as well, can't say the same for the interior but hey it's all about taste

Yeah, the EVIC timer seems to be correct from what I've seen but there's no way I'll believe sub-5 times for a stock R/T on a completely flat road.

Also, when are you getting your Challenger and what model and options?
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #68
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post

Ya i agree with you 100% on the styling... they just chose to go in two directions. The challenger, is straight muscle car. Nothing modern about the styling at all, which is great for some people. Ive said it before, if the challenger was the same size as the older 1970's models, and weighed 3500lbs id be on that forum right now.

The Camaro imo is nicer. Its interior was more tastefully done, and the exterior matches the challengers while APPEARING quite a bit smaller.

However (and i really don't know about this one) when the mags first started testing the EVIC's i remember reading they were 'laughably off target'
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #69
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
Yeah, the EVIC timer seems to be correct from what I've seen but there's no way I'll believe sub-5 times for a stock R/T on a completely flat road.

Also, when are you getting your Challenger and what model and options?

Getting an R/T in May-June, going to put my order in on the 28th

Semi loaded, last time I'd put together the options it came at $34, 5XX total

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #70
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
I love the lines of the Challenger, great looking car. Same holds true for the Camaro. I think the Camaro will look amazing as a convertible. Can't wait til they start making Camaro drop tops.
The only thing I don't really care for about the Challenger is that when you see one in person you realize how large they are.
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote