Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
marticus24

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Drove a 1LT RS the other day - My Impressions

I also drove a 1LT RS (A6) the other day, which was my first time driving one. I know this isn't new anymore, but I just figured I'd chime in on a lot of the things people have been saying and give my reactions as well.

Here are my honest opinions:

1st impressions upon driving - it feels big. However, once you start driving, it somehow doesn't feel as big anymore. Weird. And no, I'm not coming from something like an aveo and using that for comparison, I've driven big cars before, used to drive a full size pickup, etc, so I know what big is. .

Visibility is limited. As others have stated, the rear windows are pretty much useless for blind-spot checking, however, if you're an attentive driver, you generally know if anybody is there anyway. Can't see a ton out of the rear and the angle of the windshield is pretty sharp. All things considered though, these are things that I got used to very quickly, even after only a 10 minute test drive. Not deal breakers for me since it won't be a daily driver, but may be something to consider for some, particularly some of the younger, more inexperienced drivers.

Overall interior - very nice fit and finish. To those complaining that the dash isn't made of the same stuff as a lexus... well, go buy a lexus then if that's what's important to you . The cloth seats in the 1LT are very comfortable. I'm 6'2" and had no issues adjusting to my liking. The radio and HVAC controls take a bit of getting used to, but overall I think the design is great, actually best I've seen so far in any vehicles I've driven. It's different, yet easy to use/access.

V6 power - I think after reading so much about the v6 on here that my expectations were a bit over-inflated for the v6. It didn't seem quite have the grunt I was expecting... however, my baseline is the '07 grand prix gxp that I just sold (ls4 - 303HP V8)... so with near identical HP I was expecting a similar feel as I had in the GP, but didn't quite get that. It could be partly due to the engine not being broken in (it did have over 500 miles on it though), but I think moreso due to the difference in torque btw the v6 and the v8 I was used to. Don't get me wrong, that v6 GOES, but it just doesn't go enough for me . I'll be getting the SS, which I've yet to drive. For anybody used to driving V8s, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Ride - quality was astounding. Bumps? what bumps? Cabin was nice and quiet, steering was tight and responsive.

Overall though, I think that most people will be very happy with the V6 (most excludes many of the enthusiasts here, I'm referring to the general public). It has the looks, which are just killer, a very nice interior, one of the most powerful V6s on the market, the best fuel economy of many v6s on the market, and VERY competitive price.

Having actually driven one after waiting/reading/speculating for this long felt good. It was almost unreal... I can't wait to drive an LS3 SS.

Also - I test drove during rush hour in Taylor, MI from Taylor Chevrolet and got tons of looks. I was there at the same time somebody was taking delivery on a black SS/RS around 5/6PM on the 28th. (couldn't tell if it was a 1SS or 2SS though) Justs wanted to give you a shout out and say congrats, if you happen to be on here.

Also - one last thing. As the salesman was scanning my driver's license I watched a state officer pull in a start checking out the 2 Camaros by the road. He then hung out for a bit, guessingto shoot the shit about the camaro. He was still there before and after my test drive. Just shows... EVERYONE is interested in this car.

Overall, again, I know - very . Can't wait to order mine.
marticus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
chevy dude

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IBM Camaro
Nice reviewI know the car your speaking of.It is still sitting on the Dealer lot.Although they have added black rally stripes to it.I test drove the exact same model at Rodgers Chevrolet on Allen rd in Woodhaven.(3 weeks back)I was impressed with the carHad a real sports car feel and ride to it.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
marticus24

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy dude View Post
Nice reviewI know the car your speaking of.It is still sitting on the Dealer lot.Although they have added black rally stripes to it.I test drove the exact same model at Rodgers Chevrolet on Allen rd in Woodhaven.(3 weeks back)I was impressed with the carHad a real sports car feel and ride to it.
Agreed!

I was at the "Unveiling" at Rodgers, they had that red 1lt, and a black 2ss/rs that they sold while I was there. At that time, they weren't allowing test drives. Good to know I'm not the only one downriver here
marticus24 is offline   Reply With Quote