Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
here is some catch can comparos and explanations for allwho have asked

Here is a diagram of the RX can.

(excuse the quick hand drawn....I will include a CAD drawing later)

The vapors enter the center of the can, travel into a separate coalescing chamber where they are evenly dispersed through perforations so ever bit of the coalescing material is contacted with the vapors and 95% of the oil is removed from the crankcase vapors. Then the vapors are pulled out the bottom and cool as the vapors slow once again allowing any droplets that have formed to fall out of suspension and not be carried out with the vapor flow. They then have to travel past the lower disc baffle and they have to evenly make contact with the outer surface where the cooling effect condenses and remaining oil into droplets that then fall into the lower main cooling/condensing chamber.

Note the secondary condensing chamber opens up again slowing the flow, or velocity of the vapors so these final droplets are not pulled into the next chamber, the outlet chamber. Look closely. There is 14" between the inlet and outlet (as far as vapor travel) and the dirty oil laden vapors NEVER mix with the cleaned as they are traveling through 4 separate chambers with 3 separate oil separating steps. Then from the outlet chamber there is noting to hold any oil like the Moroso (or any other billet style made with the same design) does against the outlet. The RX can also has one way flow controlling checkvalves that will close to prevent any backflow at WOT when there is not vacuum present from the intake manifold that would allow other cans to push the oil back into the intake tract.

NO other can on the market is even close in design and principal in these factors:

1: The dirty incoming vapors NEVER mix with the oil cleaned vapors. Every other can allows the vapors to swirl together with separated vapors. (but the few good ones keep it to a minimum)

2. The distance between the outlet, and any saturated media is 5-12 times any other cans. The Moroso media holds oil right against the outlet, the same as taking a wet wash cloth and sucking on it....you draw water into your mouth the same as oil is drawn out of these small cans do. You MUST have a sufficient distance between any saturated media and the outlet to keep this from happening:

Take apart a Elite Engineering can (one of the cans that does an excellent job) or the similar AMW and you see 2: from the droplets exiting the coalescing chamber and the outlet....very little oil is pulled out, only the smallest droplets and that is only due to the small size of the container. There are so few cans, no matter what a manufacturer or vendor claims that can trap all, or nearly all the oil simply because the basics of flow and fluids are ignored.

The Moroso and similar cans are far to small for the flow to slow enough to allow suspended droplets to fall out of suspension and not be pulled through with the flow.

Here is a video showing a mountain dew bottle working as well as a moroso:

Or a $15 home depot/lowes air compressor separator works as well:

You can clearly see ANY container hooked up inline will show oil collecting, the video is a marketing gimmick. What you really need to do is simply add a clear glass fuel filter (or even one of these air compressor plastic units from HD or lowes) between ANY catchcan and the intake manifolds vacuum barb and see in 100 miles or less how well a can does, or does not work. And you will see 30-40% pulled right past into the intake tract. You don't have to trust anyones claims, just do it yourself and see where the BS is.

The bottom portion of the billet type cans next to the bottom of the RX:

Here are some more pictures showing the insides of the moroso and similar little billet cans:

look how tiny the insides are in comparison:

Take a piece of 3/8" tube and pour a teaspoon of water in it held in a U shape and puff a small amount of air through....all the liquid will be pulled out with the flow of air. Now take a 5/8" tube the same length and do the same...you cant get the liquid to be pulled out no matter how hard you blow....same principal. It is impossible with a small internal volumne canister to retain most of the liquid no matter what the filtration....it is flow dynamics at the simplest.....just as a dentist suction tube will pull all liquid(spit/drool) from your mouth due to the size. To do so with a larger tube you would need a shop vac's flow/suction to accomplish this.

Now, look at the top part of the can....there is NO designated inlet or outlet. How can any effective separation and containment take place? Yes, it will catch oil just as the mountain dew bottle or the home air compressor does.....in fact take a beer can and pop 2 holes in it and add some barbs...it will catch oil as well.

What people get off track on is you want to stop ALL, or nearly all the oil like the RX, Elite, AMW. and Saiku Micchi cans do (even look at the just released Mishimoto can for nearly $300....it STILL lets the vapors separated and dirty swirl together so it is impossible to trap nearly all, but it is a huge improvement on their previous designs.

The Saiku Micchi does a great job, proper size, good design, but still allows separted vapors to mix with oil laden vapors with no completely separate chambers...just filter media in the top portion (and it is one of the best as far as very little pull through).

So, anyone is free to listen to twisted logic and claims from a shop that wants the sale/profit over anything else, but just take the time to do the simple test and see for yourself and look at the obvious.

Last edited by joes407; 06-25-2013 at 04:37 PM.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
your cartoon doesn't work
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Copied and pasted from an RX post most likely.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Nice! Still ain't buying one.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
any proof these things keep the intake clean?? i have a duramax that I've heard really makes a messy intake..
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
joes407

its copied from an email sent to me.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
RX propaganda.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
joes407

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
any proof these things keep the intake clean?? i have a duramax that I've heard really makes a messy intake..
yes, the other catch can thread I had posted some internal pics with and without can
Old 06-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
joes407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
RX propaganda.
not propaganda. in the other thread it was asked about how and why certain cans do or don't work. this is the complete explanation better than I had explained the other day. I will try to fix the links
Old 06-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
From the guy who got booted off the forum?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Joe, Very nice post, Im so glad I have the RX can, I think elite and rx are the way to go, I was always thinking why elite and rx cans where so big compared to others. NICE POST JOE. What can are you running.
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
From the guy who got booted off the forum?
Yes.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
joes407

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotta View Post
Joe, Very nice post, Im so glad I have the RX can, I think elite and rx are the way to go, I was always thinking why elite and rx cans where so big compared to others. NICE POST JOE. What can are you running.
rx of course! rx not booted but on temp ban for issue with non customer on forum
Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Can you enlarge the drawing? Or email it to me instead.