Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #29
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Seems a bit odd because there are a few stock V6 Camaros running 9.3 in the 1/8th mile.
I ran 9.5's in the 1/8th before my mods...

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #30
Dr. Love

Drives: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Nice run!

Weather conditions can have a huge impact on your car's performance... You can see big swings in your car's times just from varying weather conditions. Also track prep can make a big difference. A small improvement in your 60' time can have a big impact on your overall ET.
The track was better at Beech Bend. They were also putting down water as well. I tried to avoid the water. Even when I burned the tires off, I still didn't have any good traction. I am thinking that I should have avoided the water and burned the tires too. That might have helped. I just need to get my reaction time better. I am consistently between .17 and .003, but I really want to stay in the hundredths or even thousandths of a second.

Also, we are thinking about getting a gear and a tune. This will help my 60 foot time. If we do that, I will definitely be in the 8s in a 1/8 and steady 13s in the 1/4.

Since this is technically my son's car, I am trying to decide on what my daily driver is going to be in three years. I was looking at a Saturn Sky, but it may not hold up to racing, although they are fast.....

Maybe a Camaro. I think we could get it going quick, but it may take longer to get good in it because of the IRS. Hopefully, the price of used Camaros will be down in the low 20s by then.

Dr. Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #31
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
The track was better at Beech Bend. They were also putting down water as well. I tried to avoid the water. Even when I burned the tires off, I still didn't have any good traction. I am thinking that I should have avoided the water and burned the tires too. That might have helped. I just need to get my reaction time better. I am consistently between .17 and .003, but I really want to stay in the hundredths or even thousandths of a second.

Also, we are thinking about getting a gear and a tune. This will help my 60 foot time. If we do that, I will definitely be in the 8s in a 1/8 and steady 13s in the 1/4.

Since this is technically my son's car, I am trying to decide on what my daily driver is going to be in three years. I was looking at a Saturn Sky, but it may not hold up to racing, although they are fast.....

Maybe a Camaro. I think we could get it going quick, but it may take longer to get good in it because of the IRS. Hopefully, the price of used Camaros will be down in the low 20s by then.
Remember your Reaction Time (RT) does not effect your Elapsed Time (ET).

The turbo Sky/Solstice are nice, fun little cars, but not overly fast in stock form... they are rated at 14.0 stock... however there was at one point some GM performance parts/tune you could slap on... not sure what that did to the track times...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #32
Dr. Love

Quote:
Remember your Reaction Time (RT) does not effect your Elapsed Time (ET).

The turbo Sky/Solstice are nice, fun little cars, but not overly fast in stock form... they are rated at 14.0 stock... however there was at one point some GM performance parts/tune you could slap on... not sure what that did to the track times...
I do have a Dodge Intrepid that is literally on its last leg. That's why I am driving the Mustang. My husband is talking about hulling it out and making a dragster out of it. I have no idea what he has in mind. He said he would make it go fast and I could drive....

Old 04-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #33
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
I do have a Dodge Intrepid that is literally on its last leg. That's why I am driving the Mustang. My husband is talking about hulling it out and making a dragster out of it. I have no idea what he has in mind. He said he would make it go fast and I could drive....
You are MUCH BETTER off selling the 2006 GT as is and taking the money from that and buying a Fox body... much lighter and cheaper to make fast... Or are you hulling out the Dodge?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #34
Dr. Love

Quote:
You are MUCH BETTER off selling the 2006 GT as is and taking the money from that and buying a Fox body... much lighter and cheaper to make fast... Or are you hulling out the Dodge?
Hulling out the Dodge is my husband's idea. The Mustang is actually my son's. He will be 14 this year. It will transfer to him when he is 16. Can't sell it.

Fox bodies are expensive for a good, decent one. The race car will be my DD and I don't want a ragged one...LOL...

Unless we do the Intrepid. That's why the Dodge might be sacrificed. The engine is just about done even though it only has 86K on it. The suspension has been dead for a while. It was in a front end collision a few year back that put the nail in the coffin for it. Even though it was fixed, it has been downhill since. Right now it sits in the driveway leaking everything from transmission fluid to coolant. Leak after leak after leak. Every single hose on it is dryrotted...

Old 04-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #35
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Hulling out the Dodge is my husband's idea. The Mustang is actually my son's. He will be 14 this year. It will transfer to him when he is 16. Can't sell it.

Fox bodies are expensive for a good, decent one. The race car will be my DD and I don't want a ragged one...LOL...

Unless we do the Intrepid. That's why the Dodge might be sacrificed. The engine is just about done even though it only has 86K on it. The suspension has been dead for a while. It was in a front end collision a few year back that put the nail in the coffin for it. Even though it was fixed, it has been downhill since. Right now it sits in the driveway leaking everything from transmission fluid to coolant. Leak after leak after leak. Every single hose on it is dryrotted...
Sounds like it would be VERY EXPENSIVE to try and make that Dodge track worthy... might be better suited for the demolition derby at your local county fair... Can't imagine how much you would have to spend to make it both SAFE and FAST....

Buddy of mine just put a very nice Fox body up for sale... $6,500... Not super fast, but really nice...

Old 04-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #36
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Sounds like it would be VERY EXPENSIVE to try and make that Dodge track worthy... might be better suited for the demolition derby at your local county fair... Can't imagine how much you would have to spend to make it both SAFE and FAST....

Buddy of mine just put a very nice Fox body up for sale... $6,500... Not super fast, but really nice...

And the blue print for making these fast is there. All the parts and know-how are easy to find.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #37
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Agreed, best bang for the buck racer is the fox body Mustangs, hands down.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #38
Dr. Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Agreed, best bang for the buck racer is the fox body Mustangs, hands down.
My whole family are Mustang freaks, but my husband doesn't care what I get. He wants me to like my car, and he will do his magic on it.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #39
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
My whole family are Mustang freaks, but my husband doesn't care what I get. He wants me to like my car, and he will do his magic on it.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #40
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
John, how do you see a full bolt ons Camaro V6 against the Mustang GT 4.6 on track ?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #41
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
John, how do you see a full bolt ons Camaro V6 against the Mustang GT 4.6 on track ?
Stock 4.6s I see at the track tend to be mid to low 14s.. problem is usually traction... So a full bolt-on V6 should make it a good race!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #42
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
That is cool, i would definatly look into something else other than an Intrepid though. I don't know how far he would take it, but there isn't much you can really do for them. May search for a GM car with the L67 supercharged 3.8, plenty that can be done with the them and the torque and SC whoosh (with a CAI) kicks arse.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote