Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 10-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Thumbs up PeddersUSA and JusticePete

A big THANK YOU to Pete, Deb, and PeddersUSA.

Went through local County reconstruction permit hell trying to get my car to pass a 2" suspension travel test(someone pushing down on the corner and car must display 2" suspension travel). During my spring changes/height adjustments on my XA coil-overs, left side was damaged and needed replacement.

A simple phone call in the morning(HI Time) results in Pete and Deb stepping up and 2-day shipping a passenger side replacement part. Should be here on Thursday for a weekend installation, tuning, then off to the alignment shop for a Monday Appt.

That's customer service !!!

Sorry Pete, can't upgrade to SuperCoils, yet. You don't know how much I thought about it before calling.... squared setup with R-compounds come first.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
Thats the dumbest test I ever heard of. Keep throwing fat guys on the fender until it dents or compresses to prove road worthiness...
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Vehicle owners should restrain personal opinions(w/strong emotions) of the negative nature of the testing methodology during the inspection. Failure to comply with this "undocumented rule" may affect the outcome of the vehicle inspection.

Is a 2" bounce test a valid test for vehicle safety? If a GM Suspension Engineer protested during a vehicle inspection, inspector's could just fall back to the rules given to them under their employment SOP.

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/fil.../HAR19-134.pdf
(pg B-7 - B-8)

A stock fe3 Camaro uses a front spring rate of ~154lbs/in(27N/mm). With the addition of a anti-swaybar, will the Camaro, or any other "Sport" suspension vehicle pass this test in OE form? NO. BUT, OE (factory installed, not dealer), is exempt from the test. If non-OE replacement suspension part is used, reconstruction permit is required. If a dealer installs non-OE suspension part, recon is required.

A one-time test is required at the time of suspension modifications. This "recon" permit is required for annual vehicle Safety Inspection(entirely different process using commerical repair shops) and City & County Registration of motor vehicle.

State does not test for emissions and only Honolulu City & County(Oahu) requires recon permit, no other island counties. Which is worse, CA CARB testing or Honolulu Recon? Carb certification is a more consistent and validated process than a subjective, per inspector, assessment.
(Inspector employment requirements found on pg 134-14 to 134-15)

From an empathy standpoint, inspectors are trying to do their job(earn a living) with the rules and tools given to them. The system/process is F@$#*, but that's government.

If you're moving to Oahu, beware if you have a modded suspension.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote