Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #239
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
Halltech Systems will be testing our new CAI induction system at LS1Speed on Oct 7th. We have only one prototype at this time that we have spent many hours logging fuel trims and street testing. We are using the exact same filtration found on the LS9 and LS7, only more surface area. The beauty of this type of filter is that is is ultra high flow, and has 99.9% filtration efficiency.

This Donaldson PowerCore filter is four time more costly than the K&N, S&B sytle cotton gauze, but filters much better without a loss of power normally seen in paper type flat panel filters.

The PowerCore filter is much larger than the typical cone filters seen everywhere, which is giving us some engineering challenges with respect to the cold air shroud. pictures do not show the shroud.

We will post results here and once our production version is ready, we'll step up to the plate and ship one off.

As soon as forum sponsorship is available, we'll be on board.

We are installing the new FAST LSXR LS3 intake manifold next week as well after getting baseline dynos at LS1Speed.

http://www.halltechsystems.com/Hallt..._p/yj440cf.htm

We'll report back.

Jim Hall
Halltech Systems, LLC
www.HalltechSystems.com
Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #240
Qwkss

Drives: Hoopty Winter Beater
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
This is a great idea for consumers because it provides data.

One thing I would say to keep in the back of your mind however is that no two dyno runs are exactly the same. When your testing intakes that make 5-10 more HP, if the dyno has a margin of error of 1-2% that can mean 6-8 HP. Only way to factor this out would be to do 3-4 runs with each intake and aveage it. Then there is also the issue of what if one intake makes say more peak power, but makes less power across the power band. In general, unless a car is heavily modded, intakes are kinda like shoes..they all do about the same thing, it is just a matter of what style you want.

I guess what I am saying is..if your looking to buy an intake..use this as guidance..but don't make your decision based on one making 2-3 more HP than another. I know it sounds silly...but I can just see the call. "I want intake X because I saw on camaro5.com it made 2 HP more than all the other in a dyno test".

Again..this is a great idea..just as a consumer, use it for what it is. There are a lot of great intakes out there that will offer similar performance.
Well said.
Qwkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #241
ibznu2010

Drives: 2010 blk 2SS RS polished wheel
hennesey

No word on hennesey. Hell i will take mine off and send it to you. Step up to plate damn it. Lets see what its got. I bought it i think maybe i should see it against the other boys.
ibznu2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #242
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Call up GM High Tech Performance Magazine to cover this shoot out. This one is note worthy enough for them to cover. Hell in the 4th gen. days MTI's airlid spanked the competition, hence I picked up a clear lid from them immediately after reading that article!

Last edited by 2Tightwads; 09-29-2009 at 08:35 PM.
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #243
Sapper1

Drives: 2010 RS SS Red with Black
Old 09-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #244
dragonZ28

Drives: 2001 T/A, 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
We really do need some representation from the OTR systems, because they are the ones claiming the most HP.
I am not making any HP claims yet, but we are making an OTR kit, and I've already pledged to send a unit after one is made. I guess we're the first to step up.

dragonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #245
Hennessey Performance

Drives: THE EXORCIST
We would be willing to supply a couple of our air intake systems. What is the plan for keeping all of the conditions the same? ie engine heat soak?
Hennessey Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #246
Hennessey Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibznu2010 View Post
No word on hennesey. Hell i will take mine off and send it to you. Step up to plate damn it. Lets see what its got. I bought it i think maybe i should see it against the other boys.
Thanks for the offer, however we will be glad to send one to this test. I am just trying to get some clarification on how the test will be performed. FYI, I know that our air induction kit works well on our LS9 Camaro making over 650 rw hp.

On otherwise stock LS3 Camaro's we are seeing about a 14 rw hp gain over stock.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #247
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
To be fair I recommend you folks run the intakes in the order they are recieved for testing. Also run them with the engine at full operating temp. around 190*-210*. In my opinion...If OTR units were going to rule the world I think they would have done so years ago with the trucks...
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #248
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessey Performance View Post
We would be willing to supply a couple of our air intake systems. What is the plan for keeping all of the conditions the same? ie engine heat soak?
I know this Thread is huge and you may have missed it.

All systems will be tested under Identical conditions, will be monitored and recorded both with the Superflow and HP Tuners VCM Suite.

Hood will be Closed, engine will be at full operating temps, Oil temps will be 180 at the first pull, Computer fuel trims will be cleared and there will be a drive cycle to let the computer learn before any pulls are made, I have 60 MPH winds in my Dyno Cell to reproduce on road conditions, multiple pulls will be made and averaged to stabalize results.

I hope I covered everything.

Thank You Hennessy this makes 11

Revolution
ADM Street Received 09-23-09
ADM Race
LMR
TSP
Fastlane
Airaid
Rotofab Received 09-30-09
Cold Air Inductions Inc
Emblempros
Hennessey
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #249
Hennessey Performance

The problem with this kind of test is that an intake that may be worth 10-20 rear wheel hp by itself. Engine heat soak and timing curves can vary power by at least that amount or more.

One idea would be to make 6 pulls in a row, get the stock motor completely heat soaked then start testing them all with heat soak. Then do 3 back to back pulls. The test notes should show the amount of time from one intake system to the next.

Here is the bottom line: There is no magical air intake design that is going to be heads and shoulders above all the rest.

Sitting still on a chassis dyno does not tell you jack squat other than a dyno number. The air induction system does not really start working until the car is moving.

A back to back track test of some sort would be much more appropriate if everyone wants to know the real differences in these systems. Which air intake kit gets the car from 60-100 mph in the lowest time?

Anyway, sorry for the thread jack and no disrespect to the shop that offered to do this test. I just think that its going to be hard to get accurate numbers. And again, my main point is that a chassis dyno does not give you the full picture about any air intake kit. 1/4 mile trap speed tells you what kind of power you are making. Period.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #250
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Hennessey Performance The problem with this kind of test is that an intake that may be worth 10-20 rear wheel hp by itself. Engine heat soak and timing curves can vary power by at least that amount or more.

This will all be taken in to consideration and recorded

One idea would be to make 6 pulls in a row, get the stock motor completely heat soaked then start testing them all with heat soak. Then do 3 back to back pulls. The test notes should show the amount of time from one intake system to the next.

As stated, Computer will be cleared, intake will be installed, hood will be closed, car will perform a drive cycle until fuel trims are stable, which will bring everything to full operating temps.

Here is the bottom line: There is no magical air intake design that is going to be heads and shoulders above all the rest.

Sitting still on a chassis dyno does not tell you jack squat other than a dyno number. The air induction system does not really start working until the car is moving.

I totally disagree here

A back to back track test of some sort would be much more appropriate if everyone wants to know the real differences in these systems. Which air intake kit gets the car from 60-100 mph in the lowest time?

Ram Air is a MYTH!!!

Anyway, sorry for the thread jack and no disrespect to the shop that offered to do this test. I just think that its going to be hard to get accurate numbers. And again, my main point is that a chassis dyno does not give you the full picture about any air intake kit. 1/4 mile trap speed tells you what kind of power you are making. Period.

I agree with the last sentence

Soooo, Are you sending one or not?

So you believe in Ram Air??

60 MPH winds aren't good enough??

JFTR, Every car that has left my dyno and gone to the Track has Run the numbers measured on the dyno consistantly!
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #251
Hennessey Performance

Yes we will send a kit of 2. No I dont beleive in ram air but I do beleive in air flow. No I do not think your fans compare to the air flow dynamics of what is going on when the car is being driven at 60 mph.

We can agree to disagree.

Overall, I do like your answers and methods and I am now more comfortable with how you are performing the test. Thank you for your comments.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #252
Hennessey Performance

Sorry I havent read all 11 pages of this thread, but can someone tell me the date of this test? Thanks.