Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #29
Gonzo

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM 6M
So about a year and a half ago, my daughter gets her driver license. So being a good Dad and seizing a opportunity to buy another car, I go out looking for something cheap that I can 'fix up'. I end up buying a '98 Civic 2dr automatic. It need some work, but was a pretty decent car for $1700. One thing I did learn was that insurance for a teenager is a lot less if they have a older car to drive. So six months later, she ends up rear ending another car on the way to school.

I was able to talk the other driver into letting me pay for the repairs so I did not have to go through my insurance company.

Name:  front damage.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  33.4 KB

The Civic needed a new hood, bumper, grill, two headlights, intake box (got crushed) and a radiator support. So, knowing that this car would probably get more damage in the future, I scoured Craigslist and eBay for parts. $300 later, replaced all the damaged parts in my driveway and even painted them.

Name:  After New Hood, Grill & Bumper.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  218.8 KB

Fast forward to a few weeks ago after I picked up my new Camaro, my daughter says to me: "Dad, can you teach me to drive a stick in your car?" Are you kidding????

And yes, I know the hood is not the correct hood for this year car, but it was cheap and available. I actually think it doesn't look too bad. I even had her helping with the repairs so she could learn about cars.

Name:  Working on Car.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  188.3 KB

Installing a CAI I found on Craigslist for $45.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #30
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markal View Post
OMG, am I crazy? I just gave my Camaro keys to my wife. She wanted to attend the church meeting tonight. Her car, a Scion TC is on loan to our youngest daughter whose Ford Explorer stopped running. My wife has totaled two cars, numerous dents, door dings, curbing....etc....man, I must be crazy....God please help me!!! I love her but, she drives like sh%@....
She should be home around 10 or 11PM CST....I'll keep you posted on the outcome....I'm on pins and needles and I don't have any fingernails left to chew....arghhhhhhh!!!
How many of you let your spouse or friends drive your Camaro???
I can empathize with you. My wife thinks its "our" car because she picked the color. She wanted Vic Red, I wanted IOM. She's a lawyer and she won that argument. It turned out OK though; I had a happy wife and got a new Red Camaro as a 2nd car for recreational driving only....that ain't bad, isn't it?

As for her driving it, I agreed from the onset that it would be a shared car.

However, because of all the mods, Pedders, S/C, headers, Hurst, etc, she only drives it 1% of the time. Once in a while, she gets the urge to drive it to work; 80 miles round trip via a very busy freeway in rush hour traffic. Now, she's an excellent driver, but....Grrrrr!!

You've seen those "Wide Load" leading vehicles with their emergency lights flashing? I wonder if I could pull that off?
Alfie
Old 09-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #31
Fayebe

Drives: Sexy Cyber Gray Camaro 2SS
Yeah well mine can hardly drive a stick. Everytime I let him drive he stalls out or misses 2nd gear which drives me crazy. This is why I pay for my car and he pays for his things(whatever that might be.)

With all the dents and scrathes down the side of his 2009 truck, I should suspect something, right?

So if I'm in a good mood he drives, but hardly.
Fayebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #32
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
guess i'm lucky my wife does't like the blind spots so she isn't real comfortable driving it! so i gets the chore of driving all the time-yessss! oh about the blind spots-she fixed that problem. she says in 2 years we will be able to afford a vert!!!woohoo! maybe if i could somehow save alittle more it could be a z/28 ya right! i sure like my wifes thinking though.
its a syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #33
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I let my Wife drive my Camaro anytime she wants, she is a great driver and can drive a manual car so good my Father that is blind says he can not tell he is riding in a manual shift car when she is driving. But to be honest she says she can not see out of it so she rarely drive it. I also let my 18 year old Son drive it when he wants to. I offer it to him regularly, he is a good kid and deserve it. My 23 year old Daughter could care less about her car, so she is off the Camaro list until she can learn to take better care of her car.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #34
dfairman
KKLR BEE

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS manual
My wife said she won't drive my car with me in it because I make her nervous... I have a rule that nobody drives my car without me in it... we're at an endpass. Looks like she won't be driving my car

Not speeding... just qualifying
dfairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #35
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
Yes, my husband drives my car sometimes, but he "gets it" so it's OK.
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #36
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
How many of you let your spouse or friends drive your Camaro???
Oh hell no.

I've always said "You can drive my car when I die and that's only to drive it to the graveyard to bury me in it."
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #37
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
Both my vehicles are to small for my husband or my kid to drive.

He purchased a Nissan Xterra............he looks like he's sardine in the Jeep Wrangler and his head hits the ceiling in the GTI.......
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #38
alfie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I've always said "You can drive my car when I die and that's only to drive it to the graveyard to bury me in it."
That works for me also, I told my wife that I want to be buried in my Camaro. Vertically, pointing straight up...smaller hole that way.
Alfie
Old 09-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #39
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
Yea....I'm so completely insanely Anal about my "Menace" (cars name)...My wife says she is too afraid to go near the drivers seat...there is motive to my madness....
Capthowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #40
Markal
White Lightnin

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro LS
Mr_Draco,
Your over the top honesty is much appreciated and I did laugh out loud when I read it...no acronyms needed
Latest update: My youngest daughters car has been repaired and she will return my wifes Scion TC on Saturday the 11th of October. I just hope my Camaro is not involved in the exchange in any way..... Whew.....I think I'll restrict my wifes driving of my Camaro to only during emergencies or my upon my death

Isn't it funny how we place so much importance on really irrelevent things??? Life and the love of it and others is so much more important. Material things come and go. Love for material things change an can end but, human love....true love....is infinite, yeah....it lasts forever!
Still, how many let others drive their Camaro? WHY?

Last edited by Markal; 09-11-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Markal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #41
alfie43

Quote:
Isn't it funny how we place so much importance on really irrelevent things??? Life and the love of it and others is so much more important. Material things come and go. Love for material things change an can end but, human love....true love....is infinite, yeah....it lasts forever!
Still, how many let others drive their Camaro? WHY?
Well said indeed.

I am as psycho about my Camaro as anyone. It's never been wet since I've had it, it not a DD, I never park it unattended, and it is always covered up in the garage. However, in the end, I try to keep it in its proper perspective.

It is only a pile of steel, glass and plastic. The only thing that has any true and lasting meaning in our lives, is our families and a few good friends.
Alfie