Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
DOT 4 brake fluid recommendations please

I'm about to install the SS Brembos on my 2LT.

I have all the parts or they will be here shortly. So it's time to pick the brake fluid.

I'm planning on DOT4 fluid. The main reason is I live in the hills and deal with pretty steep roads on a twice daily basis.

I see many of the C5 vendors sell Motul 600.

I hear I can't use the ATE blue fluid because of federal laws.

Note: I'll be using Goodridge stainless lines so line decomposition with DOT4 fluid shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I plan on going with the Motul RBF600 and will be buying it next month.

I also don't think you can buy the ATE Blue anymore. When the feds jumped in and said it couldn't be blue they and ultimately was only for off road use they decided to stop making it from what I was told.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
We use Motul RBF 600 brake fluid in our shop and on all of our track cars including our JDP sponsored NASA road race cars. It's good stuff!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Castrol SRF is the gold standard by which all other fluids are measured and is the only fluid I use. LCF and RBF cost half as much.

CASTROL SRF

‘Typical’ New Dry Boiling Point = 310°C (590°F)
‘Wet’ E.R. (Equilibrium Reflux) Boiling Point = 270°C (518°F)

The ultimate racing brake fluid

Castrol SRF Brake Fluid's unique silicon ester technology absorbs less water than conventional glycol ether fluids and prevents the fluid's high temperature performance from deteriorating. Its wet boiling point of 270°C is vastly superior to the minimum requirement of 155°C demanded by the current US DOT 4 specification. Its ability to withstand temperatures in excess of 300°C and superior resistance to the effects of absorbed water have established Castrol SRF Brake Fluid as the world's premier fluid for the hydraulic brakes used in all forms of motorsport and racing.

Brembo LCF600

‘Typical’ New Dry Boiling Point = 316°C (601°F)
‘Wet’ E.R. (Equilibrium Reflux) Boiling Point = 204°C (399°F)

Brembo LCF 600+ exceeds all DOT 4 requirements and is suitable for use in all DOT3, DOT4, and DOT 5.1 brake system applications.

LCF 600+ is an ideal choice for racing or performance use - combining ultra-high dry boiling point, low compressibility, and consistent pedal feel.

IMPORTANT NOTE
DO NOT USE Brembo LCF 600+ fluid in contact with any type of magnesium components (e.g. gearbox / clutch components) as a chemical reaction is caused resulting in gases being generated. This will then prevent the clutch hydraulics from working efficiently.

MOTUL RBF600

‘Typical’ New Dry Boiling Point = 312°C (594°F)
‘Wet’ E.R. (Equilibrium Reflux) Boiling Point = 216°C (421°F)

Motul RBF 600 is a 100% synthetic fluid for hydraulic-actuated brake and clutch systems. Specifically designed to resist the high temperatures of actuated (steel or carbon) racing brakes and clutch systems.

Motul RBF 600 far exceeds the standards of DOT 3 and DOT 4.

The RBF 600 container is filled with Nitrogen to increase shelf life and eliminate contamination while factory sealed.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Glad I have a stock pile. This stuff is great!

LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Pete, who sells the Castrol and what does it typically cost?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
I use Afco racing HTX, great luck with it. 600 degree boiling point.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Pete, who sells the Castrol and what does it typically cost?
Summit Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
I use Afco racing HTX, great luck with it. 600 degree boiling point.
Dry boil temps are flashy, but it is the wet boil temp that should determine which fluid you purchase. HTX is wet is 421.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
intensifi

While I swap my 2LT brakes out for the Brembos do you think I can get away with the manual swap/bleed using the Castrol SRF or should I first perform the brake upgrade using GM DOT3 fluid then take it to the dealer (or a shop) where they can do the full swap to the Castrol SRF (purging the ABS, etc.)?

My mechanic friend and I were planning on swapping the calipers, rotors, lines, pads & master cylinder out in my garage.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
While I swap my 2LT brakes out for the Brembos do you think I can get away with the manual swap/bleed using the Castrol SRF or should I first perform the brake upgrade using GM DOT3 fluid then take it to the dealer (or a shop) where they can do the full swap to the Castrol SRF (purging the ABS, etc.)?

My mechanic friend and I were planning on swapping the calipers, rotors, lines, pads & master cylinder out in my garage.
You can do this as a DIY. After you have bled the system with the new calipers engage the abs in a safe place. Then bleed them again.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You can do this as a DIY. After you have bled the system with the new calipers engage the abs in a safe place. Then bleed them again.
A gravel or dirt road works well for this. Or while it's raining.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
intensifi

Thanks guys!

Sorry for asking the same follow-up in two threads...

For the re-bleeding after the bedding procedure, which caliper or is it all of them? How will I know if I've got the fluid that was in the ABS reservoir out?

Also for the bedding procedure how can I be sure I have forced the ABS system to cycle and force it's reservoir fluid into the system?
Old 07-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Castrol SRF is the gold standard by which all other fluids are measured and is the only fluid I use. LCF and RBF cost half as much.

CASTROL SRF

‘Typical’ New Dry Boiling Point = 310°C (590°F)
‘Wet’ E.R. (Equilibrium Reflux) Boiling Point = 270°C (518°F)

The ultimate racing brake fluid

Castrol SRF Brake Fluid's unique silicon ester technology absorbs less water than conventional glycol ether fluids and prevents the fluid's high temperature performance from deteriorating. Its wet boiling point of 270°C is vastly superior to the minimum requirement of 155°C demanded by the current US DOT 4 specification. Its ability to withstand temperatures in excess of 300°C and superior resistance to the effects of absorbed water have established Castrol SRF Brake Fluid as the world's premier fluid for the hydraulic brakes used in all forms of motorsport and racing.

Brembo LCF600

‘Typical’ New Dry Boiling Point = 316°C (601°F)
‘Wet’ E.R. (Equilibrium Reflux) Boiling Point = 204°C (399°F)

Brembo LCF 600+ exceeds all DOT 4 requirements and is suitable for use in all DOT3, DOT4, and DOT 5.1 brake system applications.

LCF 600+ is an ideal choice for racing or performance use - combining ultra-high dry boiling point, low compressibility, and consistent pedal feel.

IMPORTANT NOTE
DO NOT USE Brembo LCF 600+ fluid in contact with any type of magnesium components (e.g. gearbox / clutch components) as a chemical reaction is caused resulting in gases being generated. This will then prevent the clutch hydraulics from working efficiently.

MOTUL RBF600

‘Typical’ New Dry Boiling Point = 312°C (594°F)
‘Wet’ E.R. (Equilibrium Reflux) Boiling Point = 216°C (421°F)

Motul RBF 600 is a 100% synthetic fluid for hydraulic-actuated brake and clutch systems. Specifically designed to resist the high temperatures of actuated (steel or carbon) racing brakes and clutch systems.

Motul RBF 600 far exceeds the standards of DOT 3 and DOT 4.

The RBF 600 container is filled with Nitrogen to increase shelf life and eliminate contamination while factory sealed.
I would add Gulf Competition RF 1000 to that list.

My distributor claims it's made under the same umbrella as the Castrol SRF folk, but at a much better price point. I'm looking into the former claim..

Nonetheless, it seems to have very favourable reviews in EU, and the local track guys here seem to love it.

I'm using it as well, testing it out on track this week.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote