Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Because the Z/28 will be a better track car than any new Corvette you can order at a dealer.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #16

Drives: Getaway Special
With the Corvette you can go lap after lap after lap through the drive through however……..
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...DG is correct, the Z/28 will be a better track performer.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
A "better" track performer? I don't know about better. I'll say different. The C7 is extremely quick at every venue it's being tested at. Will the Z28 run Quicker lap times? Possibly because of the extra hp, wide rubber and great brakes. However that extra weight and size is going to offer a much different experience than a low slung Vette. I love the looks of both and to be honest I think a good driver would be limited by their personal limits at the track with these two as opposed to the car's.
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Boy View Post
A "better" track performer? I don't know about better. I'll say different. The C7 is extremely quick at every venue it's being tested at. Will the Z28 run Quicker lap times? Possibly because of the extra hp, wide rubber and great brakes. However that extra weight and size is going to offer a much different experience than a low slung Vette. I love the looks of both and to be honest I think a good driver would be limited by their personal limits at the track with these two as opposed to the car's.
Nearly 1.1 G Z/28 versus the 1.0G Stingray. Nobody's saying the Stingray is bad at the track; but you're going to feel that difference in grip in a big way. Stingray is a very track-oriented street car, much like the 1LE or ZL1...but the Z/28 is a track car made legal for public roadways....
Old 11-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
Stock Boy

I hear what you're saying, Mr Wyndham, but I feel there is more to a track car than just grip. I just think that when comparing these two cars, specifically these two, one might not be "better". I know this is a Camaro forum and we're all very pro 'Maro but the Stingray, especially with the Z package is just doing so well when journalists are flogging it at the track. To be honest, I like the way the Z/28 looks, better. Something about all the go fast bits just bolted on. Very aggressive and purposeful. I just feel it would be a totally different driving experience pushing that car at a track than a Vette. Not worse. The way the car responded to the driver, the feeling of transitioning from side to side, accelerating and braking. Hell, I'm talking out my ass because I've driven neither but I'm going on past experiences here between a lot of different types of cars. Some which have been supposedly very fast but were just nerve wracking in the handling dept to get close to it's limits. Other supposedly slower cars were easier and quicker because their performance was more accessible. I feel the limits of both these cars are so high, it's going to come down to the driver's ability. I love both these cars. They are so different in how they look.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #21
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
hopefully i don't take too much heat for this , but if you want an all out track car the 5th gen camaro platform is not the best one to start with granted they have done things to make it work very well with the zl1 and even more so with the z28, but its still big, and heavy, in the end if you want the best track car per dollar spent this is not it.
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
Stock Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
hopefully i don't take too much heat for this , but if you want an all out track car the 5th gen camaro platform is not the best one to start with granted they have done things to make it work very well with the zl1 and even more so with the z28, but its still big, and heavy, in the end if you want the best track car per dollar spent this is not it.
I totally agree with you.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #23
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Me personally, I'd get a Vette over a Z/28. I wouldn't track the Z/28 to get enough use out of its purpose. Sure I'd take it out there a couple of times but the car isn't practical to me atleast not the production model. For $60k+, lightweight or not I want the mylink, speakers, etc. Let me be the one to take out everything.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #24
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Boy View Post
I totally agree with you.
No heat, however you might want to consider closely what Pete at Pedders and Lingenfelter have done with the L/28. I hear they did quite well against both more powerful and lighter cars. A very rigid and capable chassis is more important than a few hundred pounds.

On the other hand the C7 is like having your cake...
...looking forward to the wide-body.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #25
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Personally, I'd get a NISMO GTR that's coming up soon.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11311186...-708-ring-time

Which boasts a 7:08.69 'ring time... which is of course, a far cry above (read better) the 7:37.47 Z time.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #26
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Personally, I'd get a NISMO GTR that's coming up soon.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11311186...-708-ring-time

Which boasts a 7:08.69 'ring time... which is of course, a far cry above (read better) the 7:37.47 Z time.
Very impressive, however I can't get past it's being sooooo ugly.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #27
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Very impressive, however I can't get past it's being sooooo ugly.
Aesthetics will always be a subjective thing, but at the end of the race the winner is still the winner.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
At only "less than $200,000"? Gee - what a bargain... Sorry - I'd still take the Z/28 over that thing.