Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
3.0 pulley and stock bottom end, go boom?

I'm looking to maybe go a smidge faster so I'd like to pulley down a size or to. I'm still on the 6 rib so I was also looking to have the pulley gator gripped to help with slippage. I already have a 3.0 that I got a while back but I think that it may make to much boost. The 3.4, that I run now, maxes out at 10.6. I'd like to "try" a 3.2 but I would have to buy that set-up and see if it works. If it doesn't and slips worse case I'm out a few hundred, not a big deal. But I don't know enough about this stuff to make an educated desicion. I run meth so that should help out with keeping things as safe as possible. Thanks for the help guys. And any places to get pulleys would be helpful.

Last edited by Supercharged SS; 09-14-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
fastfaster
Account Suspended

Drives: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I'm looking to maybe go a smidge faster so I'd like to pulley down a size or to. I'm still on the 6 rib so I was also looking to have the pulley gator gripped to help with slippage. I already have a 3.0 that I got a while back but I think that it may make to much boost. The 3.4, that I run now, maxes out at 10.8. I'd like to "try" a 3.2 but I would have to buy that set-up and see if it works. If it doesn't and slips worse case I'm out a few hundred, not a big deal. But I don't know enough about this stuff to make an educated desicion. I run meth so that should help out with keeping things as safe as possible. Thanks for the help guys. And any places to get pulleys would be helpful.
is someone shooting for 9's?
fastfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfaster View Post
is someone shooting for 9's?

Just trying to keep with the the Ray's and the Don's of the world, that's all.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Are you running an oxygenated race fuel already?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
I would go nitrous route before I started shooting for more boost to make power. If you just did a 100 shot it would get you where you are wanting I believe and still be safe. Boost is great until someone doesnt have an engine built for boost and KABOOM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Mayhem Matt

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS M6 SUPERCHRGED BUMBLEBEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
I would go nitrous route before I started shooting for more boost to make power. If you just did a 100 shot it would get you where you are wanting I believe and still be safe. Boost is great until someone doesnt have an engine built for boost and KABOOM.
Really? a 100 shot of nitrous is safer then running more boost? I always thought nitrous is something that wasn't safe if your motor isn't built. Shed your knowledge on this one bc I would love to put a nitrous kit on my car if its safer then running a smaller pulley and more aggressive tune.... I have a stock LS3 with a vortech SC running 8lbs of boost making 540rwhp. What would a 100 shot do for me and what would I have to do to do it? thanks... OH also installing a meth injection soon too. would that counteract at all?
Ordered Bumblebee 10/15/2008Part of the Family 6/11/2009 #11423

My Bumblebee to Superbee build story...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105163
Superbee's 536hp Dyno Run...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE7wePluPAc
Mayhem Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I can't wait until next year to Supercharge mine.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Are you running an oxygenated race fuel already?

Thats a big negative on the o2 race fuel. Just 93 and meth. I think I would just suck it up and go 8 rib with the 3.2 before the nos.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
You can go more ribs with all of that associated cost. Or, you can add a blower cam when you pulley down. A blower cam will allow for more power on similar or even less boost. I think you're on the edge of spending a bunch of money on the blower drive if you want to just add boost. That and higher IAT's. At some point, meth isn't a cure all for high IAT's either.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
You can go more ribs with all of that associated cost. Or, you can add a blower cam when you pulley down. A blower cam will allow for more power on similar or even less boost. I think you're on the edge of spending a bunch of money on the blower drive if you want to just add boost. That and higher IAT's. At some point, meth isn't a cure all for high IAT's either.

I hear you on the money issue. The 8 rib is around $1100. And Ted already has one that he brought in for me. I'd have to get a 3.2 pulley and belt, bc the 3.0 is gonna be to much. So there's that cost, and then shipping it all over the place, then some time with Ted on the dyno and thats never cheap, but def worth it. And even then there is no 100% gurantee that it will be slip proof. I gotta figure at 1/3 the cost of the 8 rib thats my better option and less hassel for me. Thank you for the advice. I haven't done much research on the L99 blower cams yet. I will on Friday when I am at Jannetty's harrassing Ted all day. I never even thought about the high IAT's. That would def be counter productive.

Good thing is that its only sept and I have some time. I need a shot with the current set-up and gd air. It has to go faster than it did in August with a 2900 DA. Thanks to all you guys for the help. I appreciate not knowing much about this stuff!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
SuperchargedSS, I'm running the 3.0 pulley with the 8 rib pulley system. I'm not having any problem with slippage. I'm only running 10.5 boost with this set up. If you remember I'm running meth/water also. The new pulley system came with a crank pulley that was a bit smaller than the factory so I had to go from the 3.2 on down to the 3.0 to compensate. The car is running good but I don't run it at the strip. I believe you may be getting more out of your car than I am mine and certainly more practice. I'm concidering a mild cam and new lifters next year. I'm just starting to do a little research on cams. I'd have Ted do the work but I think I'll look for some body a little closer to KY. Keep us up to date.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Currently we top at 10.6 psi and thats with the 3.4 and meth. And its only at the 10.6 mark for a couple blinks at 6300 rpms. I think I'd feel ok going to about 13, not sure if the car is going to feel the same way. I'd really like the 3.2 but at what costs. If the IAT's get that much higher than the gains will be negated by the risks. And on minute I'm like, whats the point, how fast does it need to be and the on the other hand, which is 99% of the time, is like stop being a bitch and do something. But then again the car runs so well and can be daily driven and then go 10.5's or better with the change of he tires. I'm sure most of you guys think the same way. Gd thing this is the only source of strees in my life. I think Ted is going to kill me with all my emails all day long.

I think I need to talk to Ted on Fri, discuss the cam option, 8 rib, and the most we want to push this thing and feel comfortable. I have another rental next Fri, Sept 17, and being up here in New England the am air should be prime for some kick ass runs. But I know Ted would like to see a stock bottom end L99 get into the 9's and we are starting to make some progress.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #13
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
I got my last pulley and belt from Janetty pretty quick. I would hit them up.