Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #15
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
If the different filter housing (marketed as a cold air intake) actually changes the airflow then the ECM will react. It's ridiculous to change anything like this without a tune.

***DISCLAIMER-I MEANT NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE, NO MALE INTENDED, DON'T BAN ME AGAIN BECAUSE I QUESTION A SOURCE OF ADVERTISING INCOME***
So to question you some and then answer you. Have you ever seen the OEM calibration tables and or do you understand them and how they work?

Now to answer you, years ago when FI came to cars and was based on speed density programming (no MAF, only reference tables) you almost always had to re-program to see gains as the tables had no way to compensate for airflow changes. The switch over to Mass Air fueling system changed that and opened a whole new world of performance.

The MAF has several reference tables it uses, so when you make changes that allow the engine (which is nothing more than a very complicated air pump) to be become more efficient in moving air into the engine and out of the engine, the MAF has the ability to be able to compensate for those changes for the most part on most bolt on mods.

Now with that, manufactures have to build a tune for the masses and for the entire driving area of the USA, so there is power left on the table due to those variable and also safety margins as well.

The ECM on the LT1 is more than capable of adjusting for a cai kit, as long as the cai kit has done its R&D properly and not caused any airflow issues with the MAF then the MAF will adjust accordingly.

Some brands of cai will perform better than others, that has been shown by Roto-Fab versus the CAI brand and even the Mishimoto brand, Mishimoto had to work on their design as it was causing issues originally from what I had read.

So there is no need to tune with putting a CAI, cat-back, ported IM/TB on the LT1, you will see some gains. Will there be some power on the table that a tune can find, yes there will. But with that you can find power on the table just tuning the OEM calibration as well on a bone stock Camaro SS.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 07:06 AM   #16
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyp85 View Post
The box that encloses the cone was actually touching the ac line so I had the line slightly bent to the side and now there's a space so they aren't touching
How did you bend the lines? I have a similar problem. I don’t want to mess them up either lol