Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #71
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
The Mens' Filipino Basketball League of San Antonio will be starting the Fall 2012 Schedule on Sunday, September 23rd! I have my ref crew ready to go!
rjdapilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #72
rjdapilmoto

I'll be reffing 4 games for FBL at Woodlawn Gym this Saturday night..
Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #73
rjdapilmoto

I'll be extremely busy this weekend! 2 varsity girls basketball games tomorrow night, 6 games on Saturday, and 4 games on Sunday!! For all the refs out there, hope your season is off to a great start! Thanks for your community service to our youth and young and old adults playing this awesome sport!!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #74
midwest mcnasty
scottie v

Drives: 2012 2lt camaro iom rs package
I play and umpire slowpitch softball. I coach a 10 and under girls softball team and also umpire little leauge baseball. Have seen/heard almost everything.
midwest mcnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #75
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I was a ref during high school, the entire bball team did it for some extra cash. Did youth league games on Sundays. They were more cut throat than high school sports. Had a spectator threaten one of the other refs (girl). We kicked him out and banned him it was that bad.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #76
rjdapilmoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest mcnasty View Post
I play and umpire slowpitch softball. I coach a 10 and under girls softball team and also umpire little leauge baseball. Have seen/heard almost everything.
I commend you for all you do! Keep up the good work!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
I was a ref during high school, the entire bball team did it for some extra cash. Did youth league games on Sundays. They were more cut throat than high school sports. Had a spectator threaten one of the other refs (girl). We kicked him out and banned him it was that bad.

Ryan
It's unfortunate when we run into situations like this. I just try to keep pushing forward and do what I love and enjoy.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #77
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I play in a work (competitive) league and this past winter in a game was fouled multiple times (once guy used both hands and pushed me on a layup). I am usually pretty quiet but get upset at the obvious non calls. Worst game I had of the season. I had some words with the ref, nothing I would regret. Well karma got me later in the game as I tore my ACL as i came down from a layup. Now my 2012/2013 is down the drain. At least we won the league and tourney in 2011/2012.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #78
rjdapilmoto

I'll be reffing two boys' varsity basketball games at Alamo City Christian School tonight, part of a 3-man officiating crew.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #79
rjdapilmoto

Below is a link to a girls' varsity basketball tournament that I officiated a few weeks ago. I'm in the First and Eleventh picture frame of shots....
http://www.sasports.com/pictures-tm-...BB-112912.html
Old 12-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #80
rjdapilmoto

We had some very good competition last night! Teams from Oklahoma and throughout the great state of Texas were represented. I'll be out at Alamo City Christian again this afternoon to officiate two more tournament games.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #81
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
I feel bad that you are singlehanded keeping this thread alive, figured I could chip in. I ref lacrosse here in the lax capital of the world. This spring will be my third season. My dad talked me into it. We both played growing up and enjoy the game. He's a collegiate official and in my two seasons Ive worked my way up to low-level varsity games.

I've coached at the high school level for the past 4 years at a top school in the country, but I enjoy officiating more. It's as close to being a player as possible - running up and down the field, making the calls, etc.

I know I have a good eye for the game, having played it for so long. I feel confident I can interpret players intentions, advantages, non-calls, etc. my biggest challenge is all about the mechanics and becoming comfortable relaying calls. I don't put any time in practicing during the offseason and very little time reviewing in-season, so there is definitely opportunity for improvement when I take the initiative.

Hope your bball season is going well!
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #82
rjdapilmoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmac View Post
I feel bad that you are singlehanded keeping this thread alive, figured I could chip in. I ref lacrosse here in the lax capital of the world. This spring will be my third season. My dad talked me into it. We both played growing up and enjoy the game. He's a collegiate official and in my two seasons Ive worked my way up to low-level varsity games.

I've coached at the high school level for the past 4 years at a top school in the country, but I enjoy officiating more. It's as close to being a player as possible - running up and down the field, making the calls, etc.

I know I have a good eye for the game, having played it for so long. I feel confident I can interpret players intentions, advantages, non-calls, etc. my biggest challenge is all about the mechanics and becoming comfortable relaying calls. I don't put any time in practicing during the offseason and very little time reviewing in-season, so there is definitely opportunity for improvement when I take the initiative.

Hope your bball season is going well!
Don't feel bad for me my brother...I just wanted to start a thread (non-Camaro related) for those of you out there that may share the same passion I do, whether it's football, basketball, baseball, or even lacrosse! I think that is awesome and a testament for your passion and the love of your particular sport. Not to mention that you are providing a community service to our youth, young and old men & women, whether you realize it or not.
Yes, sports officiating in any sport is extremely tough, and not too many of us can do it. You've got to have patience, understanding, passion, and coolness under fire, when dealing with fans, players, and coaches.
Remember....when they yell at you, they are yelling at the uniform and not you. But, every once an awhile, I pull out the "T" from my pocket and hand it out.
Thanks for your contribution to the Thread and the kind words. And keep up the good work, yourself! Peace!!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #83
JasonK

Drives: 2010 Camaro
My wife Ref's a little. She loves it.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #84
rjdapilmoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK View Post
My wife Ref's a little. She loves it.
Sweet! Whether it's a little or a lot, I commend your wife on a good deed!
Thanks!!