Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
UAW Strike

The uaw went on strike against GM today. If they screw up the deal on our Camaro, I'll be p'd.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
cannondalerider
LSWEE

Drives: CGM LS3 2SS/RS
How long do auto industry strikes usually last? At my mom's company, the people went on strike and she brought in a whole team of temps. Work was slowed but they still functioned. I think the strike only lasted a couple days. Do you think the engineers and people who are currently working on the camaro are even union workers?
cannondalerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondalerider View Post
Do you think the engineers and people who are currently working on the camaro are even union workers?
That's exactly what I was thinking. If the Camaro is still in the design and engineering phase, it shouldn't be affected, assuming the strike is sorted out before too long.

However, it was posted in the surprised thread by DGthe3 that they had already started to gut the Oshawa plant to set up the equipment for our car. This work is most likely being done by Union Workers, or at the very least, reliant on their presence.

On the other hand, if the strike lasts much longer than 2 or 3 days, even without crossing over into the Camaro production timeline, we could have some serious problems. Though GM does have a stockpile of parts and automobiles to go through, a strike of any length will cost them billions of dollars.

In the worst case scenario, the losses to GM could be so great that they are forced to cancel/postpone certain projects, which could include our precious Camaro. I would assume the would choose to postpone future releases rather than vehicles that are currently on the market.

Now, personally I don't have anything against the Union Workers, and from what I've read about their contracts, there are some definite issues that need to be worked through. But, along with the rest of you, I want my 'maro, and I want it now!

I certainly hope that this can be resolved soon in a way that is mutually benificial to both GM and the UAW.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
cannondalerider
LSWEE

Drives: CGM LS3 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post

I certainly hope that this can be resolved soon in a way that is mutually benificial to both GM and the UAW.
This
cannondalerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
According to the AP story I read, GM has just enough money in stocks to continue without serious damage to the company for a short strike, (their words not mine).
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondalerider View Post
How long do auto industry strikes usually last? At my mom's company, the people went on strike and she brought in a whole team of temps. Work was slowed but they still functioned. I think the strike only lasted a couple days. Do you think the engineers and people who are currently working on the camaro are even union workers?
Yes they are union workers. But since the camaro will be built in Canada, it is the CAW which has very little to do with the UAW. Shouldn't hinder Camaro.
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Right now, at the risk of sounding sacriligious...I'd say that's the least of our worries.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:25 AM   #8
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Do you think the engineers and people who are currently working on the camaro are even union workers?

Most all “Corporate” employees are nonunion; they are hired at will (Management/Engineers/Designers). Meaning you can be terminated at any time. Trust me, I have seen it and it ant pretty… It’s only the “Laborers” (people who assemble the vehicles) that are union.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #9
whitestang001

Drives: mustang for now
GM Strike

Is anyone else concerned that this strike might cause some production delays if it goes on for any length of time? i know its a year away but i mean if it goes on for any length of time we might not be seeing it when they originally said.
whitestang001 is offline   Reply With Quote