Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Crusty ole Retired Marine

Drives: 2012 2LT RS convertible
Send a message via Yahoo to Top Send a message via Skype™ to Top
Wind screen

Anyone have the windscreen and can give some feedback?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
blgl1800

Drives: 11 SS/RS Vert/E-ForceSupercharger
GM windscreen is a must on the cooler days as it really limits the backdraft.
I keep it on all year round - if the female passenger has longer hair it's not all over the place.
blgl1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
goldappa

Drives: Camaro 2011 RS Convertible
I was hesitant about buying one, but the difference is night and day. Wind reduction is atleast 75%. I feel comfortable riding with the top down at temps 10 degrees cooler than before.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
So does anyone think that one of the clear acrylic ones that you can have a design put into & that lights up is a better one than the GM windscreen?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=wind+screen

It would be interesting to hear a comparison from someone that may have both of them.

Also, has anyone noticed if it stops the top from flapping around in the storage well area?

Last edited by classicrockr; 04-02-2013 at 06:16 AM.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
SUX2BU said the acrylic one does help hold down the tonahue (spelling?) cover a bit.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
IL-Tracker
That's why.........

Drives: Traded a 2011 2SS/RS A6 Blk Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
Also, has anyone noticed if it stops the top from flapping around in the storage well area?
Can't speak for the acrylic wind screen, my guess is that it would help some. But the GM or after market wind deflectors definitely do reduce the flapping, and at interstate speeds, with the windows up, make a huge difference in the cabin.

Mike
IL-Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
I've got the GM one and it makes a huge difference IMO. I prefer it as it can fold up and down when needed, I'm not sure the acrylic ones do that. I got a good price back in December at shopchevyparts.com with a promo code on the web.
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Good morning all...for those that have the GM windscreen (GM # 92219688), when installed in the back seat area, does it have to be collapsed in order to put the top up? I can't seem to get a definitive answer.

There's another one called "lovethedrive" that claims the screen does not have to be colapsed when the top goes up or down.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL-Tracker View Post
and at interstate speeds, with the windows up, make a huge difference in the cabin.

Mike
Windows UP on the Interstate?....NNNNOOOO...it can't be allowed! That's almost sacreligious, man! You've gotta enjoy the TOTAL OPEN AIR experience!!!

Seriously though, since my 3rd time replacing the top was due to the wear marks/holes from the flapping, then maybe the windscreen is the key to the problem, as long as it does indeed reduce the flapping.

Thanks...
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
The clear acrylic winscreen behind the back seat is pretty much an appearance item on the Camaro (and does look nice). They work great on small two-seaters, but ineffective in the Camaro for the driver and front passenger; only works if you have folks in the back seat on occasion. Others have stated it causes more turbulence over the retracted tops on the highway. I haven't seen any solid testing either way.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
heymatt

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS Vert.
The GM windscreen does not need to be removed to raise or lower the top.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
zisky68

Drives: 14 Porsche Cayenne S 08 911 Turbo
The windscreen can stay in place up or down, with out interfering with the convertible top. My wife and I love the deflector, it really works well in cold weather with the windows up and the top down.
zisky68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
IL-Tracker
That's why.........

Drives: Traded a 2011 2SS/RS A6 Blk Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
Windows UP on the Interstate?....NNNNOOOO...it can't be allowed! That's almost sacreligious, man! You've gotta enjoy the TOTAL OPEN AIR experience!!!

I knew I would get s**t for that comment; but last Labor Day weekend the wife and I made a 1200 mile round trip to MN. All but about an hour was with the top down and 1000 miles at 70-75 mph. It was a blast, but was probably more her decision than mine to have the windows up.

Bad news is our Camaro is gone - traded. I was too damn obsessed with it, and it was the wife's only driver - so she needed something much more practical. It was great while it lasted. First and only convertible.

As for wind deflectors, we still have the Lovethedrive brand, but are looking to sell locally because shipping is outrageous. These things make a big difference once you get speeds up over 60-70, and really do help minimize the flapping (even more so with windows up - sorry). Can be left in place all the the time. Can be driving and lift it up or lay it back down. Top can be raised and lowered while in the up position. Just need to be careful putting in and taking out of the car, cause the plastic hinges and brackets can't take much abuse.

Best of luck to all you with rag tops. Had our 5th bow and water bag replaced and then the top was pretty much trouble free. Just too impractical for the wife - and money doesn't grow on trees - at least not for us.

Take care,

Mike
IL-Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
goldappa

Drives: Camaro 2011 RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
The clear acrylic winscreen behind the back seat is pretty much an appearance item on the Camaro (and does look nice). They work great on small two-seaters, but ineffective in the Camaro for the driver and front passenger; only works if you have folks in the back seat on occasion. Others have stated it causes more turbulence over the retracted tops on the highway. I haven't seen any solid testing either way.
I have both and it's like comparing the ride of a Caddie to that of a Pinto. The acrylic one doesn't even compare. If you want wind reduction go with the GM
windscreen.