Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #575
JR-Vette

Drives: 1999 500 HP Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
I wish someone could eloborate on how "transmission function" effects emissions. Unless its the carbon emissions from the smoking tires.
The issue would be only related if the county you are in is considered dirty and requires I/M 240.

This means Inspection/Maintenance on a threadmill at speeds of 15 MPH for 240 seconds and then 25 MPH for 240 seconds with a exhaust gas analyzer

If the tune of the TCM has changed at what RPM and MPH the shifts are made it could be effecting what gear the A6 is in for those 2 speeds that changes the engine load, which changes RPM which then effects what the fuel trims are that could be over the FTP values.

This would be more of an issue if the engine has other mods and puts the exhaust makeup near the FTP window and TCM tune puts the values out of the excepted window.

If suspect it is wiser to get a pre smog test thus if car fails it does not get reported to the state as if is not an official test and you then know if car would pass when the state tests are done
Old 05-17-2010, 06:40 AM   #576
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
I talked with a GM Technician this past weekend concerning tunes. He said that he could tell when a car was tuned even if it went back to stock, he didn't get into any specifics.

My question to him was if I turned my tune back to stock could he tell. He laughed and asked besides the cam? He wasn't being mean. but he did bring up a good point to me actually a couple of good points for me to remember so I thought I would share.

1. ANYTHING that is abused WILL break, doesn't mean that it will but the chances go up when you dog it. Even bone stock cars have broke ie... transmissions, why? There is no way you can repeatedly rev a car to 4 or 5 k and dump the clutch and expect it to stay together, doesn't pass the common sense test.

Point #2. What am I going to be doing with my car? Kinda seemed like a normal question but I asked what difference does it make. Answer kinda made me think. Anytime you change the original design of something there are risks, but just because you change it doesn't mean it will break any sooner than original. If you put a cam, headers etc... on your car and never take it to the strip to race, chances are better it will last longer than ones who do, not always but are better.

His final point was this that I had to decide what I wanted. I either wanted to be able to say I have xxx amount of HP and thus ultimately having to prove it or just wanted a nice cruise around vehicle. Why would I want to supercharge a car, more power, right? If you aren't going to use it, then why waste the money just to say you have it, and the only real way to use that much power is at the strip. Made alot of sense to me.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #577
Duke

Drives: 2010 Red SS/RS
Thanks JR, I live in the Houston area and they test the emission monitors using the OBD-II. So, there will be no issues with a TCM tune.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #578
JR-Vette

Drives: 1999 500 HP Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Thanks JR, I live in the Houston area and they test the emission monitors using the OBD-II. So, there will be no issues with a TCM tune.
Correct but stay up with EPA changes as new standards occur can force areas to change if and how they do smog testing.

Since EPA won the war late last year starting this year many states are just copying CARB of CA smog methods
Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #579
Black on Black
Smokin Bowties Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Dont know if has been said yet but my dealer gave me all kinds of SLP brocherures and ordering worksheets and apparently if you go thru your dealer it is coordinated with GM and SLP and no waranties are voided. That goes for all the parts they offer for the Camaro as well.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #580
PSP-SS

Drives: 11 Tahoe LTZ, 10 Camaro 2SS-THR #12
Got me. I just hope this restarts the argument.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #581
Mike@DS

Drives: 99 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
Dont know if has been said yet but my dealer gave me all kinds of SLP brocherures and ordering worksheets and apparently if you go thru your dealer it is coordinated with GM and SLP and no waranties are voided. That goes for all the parts they offer for the Camaro as well.
This is true...and SLPs Camaros are sold and warrantied through GM dealers, and the Maganacharged ones are tuned with either Predators or SCT X-cals....
Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #582
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport View Post
This is true...and SLPs Camaros are sold and warrantied through GM dealers, and the Maganacharged ones are tuned with either Predators or SCT X-cals....
Good to know That sounds like a great option

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #583
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
First only powertrain warranty counts because that is all that is voided.

2nd to have powertrain warranty work done requires GM approval so it is really meaningless to talk about what your dealership can detrmine. It only matters what GM determines.

Lastly, I told an executive about these threads and how the guys selling the "tunes" always jump on me. He chuckled and said, "not only can we tell the date it was re flashed, we can tell the date it was flashed back"

take it for what you think it's worth. I am only trying to help. As I've said countless times I support you having your car reflashed if that is your pleasure. You just need to know what you are doing going in.
I find it hard if not impossible to believe that there are not people / companies out there that are smart enough to figure out how to restore a chip back to its original state. Regardless of how smart GM and its employees are it is still an electronic component and bound by the laws of physics that apply to all computer/electronic components.

Truth is it is in GM's best interest to say they can tell when its been flashed just as much as its in the best interest of tuners to say they can restore the flash and erase any history of it.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #584
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2SS View Post
I find it hard if not impossible to believe that there are not people / companies out there that are smart enough to figure out how to restore a chip back to its original state. Regardless of how smart GM and its employees are it is still an electronic component and bound by the laws of physics that apply to all computer/electronic components.

Truth is it is in GM's best interest to say they can tell when its been flashed just as much as its in the best interest of tuners to say they can restore the flash and erase any history of it.
Out of most of the members in our Community, I believe 3 is about the most trustworthy and has the most access to accurate information...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #585
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
I may be a Noob Here......But TRUST ME ......They can tell......When You can find a bulletin that describes an issue like something simple...ie:lighting......and GM Then takes the time to have acquire the after market part and then take pictures of it .....They Are Watching.....

Brian
Old 07-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #586
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2SS View Post

You're limited to the code of the PCM as far as flashing through the OBD-II port. I would agree with you if people were bench flashing the chip itself.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #587
Mike@DS

Drives: 99 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Out of most of the members in our Community, I believe 3 is about the most trustworthy and has the most access to accurate information...
But why? Because he works there? Does he not have the same motives to tell you guys his story that you guys accuse me of having??????

Again, all we do is PCMs. Thats it. Period. We likely know as much or more about GM (and Ford and Chrysler) PCMs as the engineers who develop them, because rarely does one person at GM have the task of engineering the entire PCM, they do bits and pieces at a time.
We reverse engineer the box as a whole, meaning one of my engineers will know as much about an E38 when he is done with it as 10 guys who worked on designing it at GM. And anyone who has reverse engineered anything will tell you that this is where you will find flaws and/or shortcomings in the original code.

I've said it before and will say it again, we currently employ 2 former GM calibration engineers, who have worked on everything from LS1s to LSJs, and they will be the first to admit there is nothing to be seen in an E38 after it is flashed with our software.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #588
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
I am a tech at a shop in fla.I have a tech II and a gm flashing subscrip on gm's site.. When I update a ecm or all the modules on a car or truck it shows me what versions are there have been there and what should be there!!!

Closed Thread