Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-22-2015, 02:44 AM   #15
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
its a mustang dyno if i was to run it on a dynojet id be at 473hp 465fltbls. thats pretty good for my set up
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #16
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
its a mustang dyno if i was to run it on a dynojet id be at 473hp 465fltbls. thats pretty good for my set up
I pulled 422rwhp/423rwtq on a mustang dyno with just bolt-ons and tune. I guess all dynos are different and only the but dyno matters, but that seems really low, even for a mustang.
What did your other cam pull? Assuming same dyno...
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #17
JCunningham

i would have to say you had a very happy dyno because the out put for these mods is on the high side. My tuner by experience with cars he tuned on his mustang dyno and the same cars run on a dynojet he figures his dyno reads approximately 13% low compared to a dyno jet. if this is true that would give you 476hp. No way with out a cam. you do have a 15 so you have electric steering. That gains you some. I think Cunningham motorsports gave you dynojet corrected numbers lets check out the ls3 dyno thread.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 07-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #18
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Doesn't matter what the dyno says. Dynos aren't designed to measure accurate horsepower. Let us know how it runs at the track. That's what matters.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #19
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Doesn't matter what the dyno says. Dynos aren't designed to measure accurate horsepower. Let us know how it runs at the track. That's what matters.
I agree. Have the utmost respect for Cam Motion's abilities....none better IMHO and the track will show.
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #20
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
what were your base numbers?

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #21
JCunningham

this cam was designed to replaced my night fury cam with a better driver cam. On the dynojets the NF cams are doing 470 with my mods. im doing 473 with a less duration more lift cam. sounds about right to me.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #22
JCunningham

I did everything myself but on a dyno jet with the new era intake all rest stock. 380hp 374tq on stock tune.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #23
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
that engine sounds fantastic!!
Old 07-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #24
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Hey J the last cam is .639/.623 with 235/239 and a 112 lsa and required .675 springs. My new cam is like .613/.578 with 223/234 and 114+4 so considerably milder I had them add .010 to the Cam motion stage three on the intake and did not know it was +4 but what the heck..... It has to be much more streetable with a better torque curve and most likely able to lower the 950 rpm idle. It I am sure is about a 20 h.p. loss form the radical TSP cam with its tight LSA but I am looking for torque with the 428 cube stroker the heads should make up for the loss of the H.P. some yet I still am wondering if I should use the TSP cam with some other companies springs say a pac .660.... As it was the more unforgiving .675 spring that broke that ate my block.( After a over rev four months earlier....).

I am still waiting for some dang Corvette to get its engine, mine has been with all my parts at my tuners for about a month and its friggin killing me...lol Just waiting to be able to tow mine there, and he is so popular he is swamped and working weekends and late etc and so I wait, and who knows maybe I will go with the TSP in this block and just go all out and sell off the .650 springs and cam.... I find your numbers low of course as you do, the correction factor of 20 must mean it was some real bad hot weather or something and sure your 3.91 gears made a lower reading also if its not calculated right in the Numbers as there are posts and article about the gears making numbers lower: or the correction factor is way out there and that's why your numbers are so low. Your cam is good lift with good duration and the LSA may have brought it down some yet I would say it should be more in area that he is saying for a dyno jet on the Mustang.... Just to show you here my last cam on the dyno and its a 13 with power steering being electric but only: CAI, headers and cam with tune: ( I did have torque management removed mostly in the tune).

This was done on a 70 degree day, and you may notice the correction factor is 6 more inline with most dynos I have seen that are around what they should read.

But numbers on paper are just that, I am wondering how it drives with your cam?

Is it a must go up to 1500 ish RPM or lower you may "buck" I imagine its a lot easier with a larger LSA and that would be good for being stuck in a traffic nightmare.... lol And wonder what is your idle set at now as it sounds a little fast and can hear the little sewing machine noise of the lifters. I know many have said that's the normal noise yet I never had it and guess it would be from the perfect measurement of the 7.425 pushrods for my smaller base circle, and that's about all I could think of for so many having this slight noise it may be my guru knows measurements better or some trick to the numbers..?

I am still in limbo here...... Your data was also smoothed to cut out the peaks and valleys which affects the numbers slightly also.

Last edited by christianchevell; 07-22-2015 at 05:59 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #25
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Also all dynos were originally set for the atmosphere and altitude of Detroit, and yes mustang being a true load bearing dyno will usually read lower than dynojets and can be way low if they have it set up that way and wonder if your dyno operator even had a remote weather station for the reading to do the filter value or just guessed.... A whole butt load of power is lost by heat and other factors compared to not adjusting for them. Your torque curve looks good and the h.p. on your sheet climbs like crazy and still has a little more to give at the end. I would bet your in the the 470-480ish range no problem, which would be 520-530 flywheel no problem.. Yet I do think with the NEW era OTR, the UDP and a ported throttle body you should have numbers more in line with mine on my dyno chart if things where done different as your LSA will cost you some but not that much as far as peak numbers go for the torque. Anyway Happy motoring, it sounds healthy may it stay that way a long time, Me I am still sold on doing a break in and using driven oil, I think you just were damn rarely unlucky with the cam core you got on you last cam.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #26
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Why did you swap CAI's?
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #27
JCunningham

it only got up to 77 the day it was dynoed.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #28
JCunningham

the new era had some slight surging he couldnt tune out. the CAI does not