Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-25-2015, 11:57 PM   #1
mikedog_66
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Changing own oil and then forget to put the oil in......

I was wondering what would happen if this ever ocurred. Let's say you were changing the oil and you drained the oil out and screwed the drain plug back in. You even got so far as in replacing the oil filter too. Then, you get distracted and come back to the car and get in and proceed to start it up. As it begins to start, the first thing that runs through your mind is, "Uh oh....I think I forgot to put the oil in."

What would happen to the engine if that ever happened? I mean like would you be able to save the engine if you quickly shut it off?

No, this have never actually happened to me, but there were times when changing my own oil when something like this could have easily happened. That is, especially if something or someone distracted you while you were changing the oil. In fact, I wonder if this has ever happened to anyone or if anyone knows a friend of a friend that this happened to.

This has been my worst fear when I change my oil.lol!
mikedog_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:10 AM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
as long as you shut it right off you probably wont notice the damage. this just happened to someone on here recently. It will most likely do some damage.
When you change the oil you need to do something so you dont start the engine unless you put oil in it. put a sticky note on the steering wheel. Make sure you check the dipstick befor you start it. Dont get distracted. Once you start working on something dont leave it. finish what you're doing so you dont forget to tighten a bolt. I leave the oil cap on the hood latch so I dont forget to put it on. I also put the full oil bottles under the hood above the radiator. You could leave the oil on your driver's seat or were you will see it from the drivers seat. When you put it in the car put it on the ground or garbage. You could also put your keys by the oil. If there's oil next to your keys you will know you need to put it in the car.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:32 AM   #3
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
as long as you shut it right off you probably wont notice the damage. this just happened to someone on here recently. It will most likely do some damage.
When you change the oil you need to do something so you dont start the engine unless you put oil in it. put a sticky note on the steering wheel. Make sure you check the dipstick befor you start it. Dont get distracted. Once you start working on something dont leave it. finish what you're doing so you dont forget to tighten a bolt. I leave the oil cap on the hood latch so I dont forget to put it on. I also put the full oil bottles under the hood above the radiator. You could leave the oil on your driver's seat or were you will see it from the drivers seat. When you put it in the car put it on the ground or garbage. You could also put your keys by the oil. If there's oil next to your keys you will know you need to put it in the car.

What he said ^. I always put the full bottles of oil on the engine/radiator and put the empties on the ground. That will remind me the oil still needs to go in. I'm also the type who pre-fills the oil filter so there's no 'dry start' time while the filter is filling up with and absorbing oil before letting it flow. I learned that trick when I was driving a 1990's turbocharged car.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
I heard about that happening to someone at a Jiffy-Lube type place. He got about a block away and the engine seized up. Nothing to do there but make the shop buy a new one. I don't know how someone that changes oil for a living could do that, but then again, have you seen some of the guys that work there?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
It is a case of there being no oil pressure every time you start the engine and its relying on what oil film was there.... a person should be o.k., and well even I have heard of extremes..... like on my Driven racing oil testimonials where (with their top of the line oil made specifically for modded ls3 engines)..... their "oil" has protected it with no oil pressure winning races with laps to go and the bearings still look new..... now that's the best, what your running is all on you........ And yes they do make oils for many kinds of engines more fit for racing...

And if you just dump todays oils for modern cars with the EPA cops raping the ZDDP : in yesterdays cars you might as well
Piss in the Carb every time you start it because it could not hurt it worse than the crap your ruining the engine with. Sure synthetic oil can last longer it can do many things but it is not a miracle and not specifically formulated for your engine and its requirements unless it was made for that engine.....And its only getting worse with CAFE standards hitting 2017, and OIL reformulations in 2017 also where two major groups are supposed to be made.... one for little turbos and such with like 0 viscocity, and one that's more for ours, and specialty companies to take up one hell of a lot of slack for every classic car enthusiast..... so beware!!!!!

I do this for the benefit of someone someday modding their car and not trashing it, and yes I break in my engines/ cam with Driven BR30...... as hydraulic roller cams do need a break in.
That is unless your a manufacturer who specifically made a engine with just not enough spring pressure and short enough duration and long LSA to make a engine get fair performance and good gas mileage without using better than off the shelf oil.... Or worrying about the warranty...thus the cam we run stock... And BTW using any other grade than 5w-30 voids your warranty... our engines whole oiling system was designed with that grade....

Anyway thats my Morning rant, Now off to playing diablo 3 on my new x-box one....LOL MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEWYEAR
Old 12-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
cowboy casey

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
my neighbor had this happen to him, had the oil changed at walmart and they did not put any oil back in... he made it about 15 miles before he started hearing weird noises, turned around and went back... they filled with oil, signed some papers...

The engine lasted another 6 months before it blew up, they replaced the engine amazingly....

cowboy casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Get one of these for your steering wheel. I've had this since high school when I did
my own oil changes.... Even professional mechanics use them.
Attached Images

myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
There was a post here recently. Guy was changing the oil and his son started up his camaro with no oil in it. Just backed out a bit then shut it down immediately. Dad stopped him, put the oil in it, didn't seem to hurt it. Not something I would want to happen to my vehicle or make a habit of. No doubt the oil film will provide some lubrication for maybe a minute but I remember reading articles years ago stating most engine wear over time is on start up with zero oil pressure. (oil and filter replacement, why I always filled new oil filter if possible, older can filter designs)

Just because you put oil in it and re-start and it sounds normal doesn't tell ya what the babbitt bearings look like. I mean in that scenerio it is what it is...but you can take years of life off an engine in mere seconds. There is a video on youtube, guy drains the oil out and starts the engine, no load, and it takes like a few minutes for it to expire. But that is very little load, not driving vehicle.

Experts who build engines assemble engine with oil coating. Some use a special engine assembly lube. Many pre-lube an engine before actual startup. There are reasons why engine builders take these steps. To avoid dry start up, lack of lubrication, and abnormal friction and heat to the crank, rod and cam bearings. Flat tappet new cam lobes absolutely need lubrication immediately on start up. Roller lifters have helped cam wear tremendously. Engine oil compositions have changed over the last 20 years, backed out concentrations of certain oil additives because they damage catalytic converters over years of service.
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Huh? We're talking changing the oil, not putting someone's body and brain back together after suffering multiple traumas. If you set out on an endeavor to change your engine oil and you forgot to put oil back in the motor, I'm going to say, step away from the vehicle. You have no business working on your own car and should probably seek professional help. For you and your car!!!
Old 12-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #10
cajun1le
The Mechanic

Drives: a sports car
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Get one of these for your steering wheel. I've had this since high school when I did
my own oil changes.... Even professional mechanics use them.
Lock-out, Tag-out is the way to go.
cajun1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedog_66 View Post
I was wondering what would happen if this ever ocurred. Let's say you were changing the oil and you drained the oil out and screwed the drain plug back in. You even got so far as in replacing the oil filter too. Then, you get distracted and come back to the car and get in and proceed to start it up. As it begins to start, the first thing that runs through your mind is, "Uh oh....I think I forgot to put the oil in."

What would happen to the engine if that ever happened? I mean like would you be able to save the engine if you quickly shut it off?

No, this have never actually happened to me, but there were times when changing my own oil when something like this could have easily happened. That is, especially if something or someone distracted you while you were changing the oil. In fact, I wonder if this has ever happened to anyone or if anyone knows a friend of a friend that this happened to.

This has been my worst fear when I change my oil.lol!
Practice putting the sealed bottles of oil in your driver seat therefore seeing them there will remind you that you didn't put the oil in the engine even after being distracted.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #12
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
What he said ^. I always put the full bottles of oil on the engine/radiator and put the empties on the ground. That will remind me the oil still needs to go in. I'm also the type who pre-fills the oil filter so there's no 'dry start' time while the filter is filling up with and absorbing oil before letting it flow. I learned that trick when I was driving a 1990's turbocharged car.
Very good point.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #13
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun1le View Post
Lock-out, Tag-out is the way to go.
You must work in a plant. Lock out Tag out, been there done that for many years. Safest way to isolate/prepare equipment for repairs, maintenance, or replacement.

If your absent minded or easily distracted, put a piece of gray duct tape over the empty ignition key switch until you have completed your task.
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
Mels RS

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS Vert
Or simply lay your key among the full oil bottles.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
Mels RS is offline   Reply With Quote