Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
mkeeler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 RS Bumblebee
Driving in snow

Has anyone tried driving their camaro in the snow? I know its a sin but I will need to drive it through a winter. I will put snows on it and I have been practicing taking off in 2nd gear to minimize torque. Might put some sand bags in the trunk as well. Does anyone have any other tips or any info on what tires I should buy? Should I go with a different profile than the stock tires? Thanks.
Rally Yellow, Black Stripes and Ground Effects, 20" Polished Aluminum Rims, MGW Shifter, Custom Engine Cover, K&N CAI Series 69 Typhoon, Borla Exhaust, Tinted Windows, Heritage Grille, Subwoofer system, Trunk Mat, Trunk Organizer, UltraShield Clear Vinyl, Camaro SS license Plate Covers, "BY BY" Personalized Plates.
mkeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
nick at night

Drives: 2003 silverado
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk9BoISZwKU
nick at night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
it's not a sin at all. If winter tires weren't so expensive I'd be doing the same. But I figure, for the $1000 you'll spend on tires you can get a winter beater and save the chances of some idiot sliding into you. Thats really my only worry with winter driving, and I worry about that in every car I've ever owned.

just a bit of weight in the back and good winter tires you'll be laughin'. 2nd gear takeoffs are a good idea. I even used to do it in 3rd sometimes in my truck if it was really icy outside.

the #1 biggest mistake people make driving in winter is thinking they can drive the same speeds and stop in the same distance as they can in the summer. Give people more space, give yourself more time to stop and take it easy.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
It's only a sin to those that are garage queens. This car performs great in the snow, and in fact I feel safer in it than my other car. The pirelli scorpion ice and snow tires are great.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: was 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
this has been discussed in so many other threads - do not attempt to drive on the Summer Pirellis under 40 degrees in any conditions let alone wet, icy or snow. The soft compound hardens in low temps severely impacting traction.

I went with 20" Bridgestone Blizzaks on new Sport Edition ST4 rims from www.tirerack.com/snow - this link has packages for 18"-20" tires and rims. The Camaro was superb in last winter running these tires.

As the temps in NJ dip below 40 degrees during my morning commute starting in mid-Oct I swap my tires/rims by then.
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 - Traded-in 8/31/2019:
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
It's only a sin to those that are garage queens. This car performs great in the snow, and in fact I feel safer in it than my other car. The pirelli scorpion ice and snow tires are great.
or Garage Kings like mine,
Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
I loathe the fact that these threads are going to be popping up daily and not just two times a week. Search button is our friend!

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
MAGfuz

Drives: VR 2SS Convertible
Driving in the snow......will be fun. I've had a truck in the past 2wd and i had no issues. Then again, I'm not one of those idiots wylde1 eluded to!

TEAM LS3!
MAGfuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I drove mine 50 miles home thru snow storm.. on stock tires not good but possible.. winter tires shouldn't be problem if u know how to drive
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
StreetReporter

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
I loathe the fact that these threads are going to be popping up daily and not just two times a week. Search button is our friend!
Amen.

SEARCH. SEARCH. SEARCH.

This topic has been posted and answered again and again.

Every week it's "driving in snow?" and "auto or stick?" or "V6 or V8?"

SEARCH. SEARCH. SEARCH!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
mkeeler

Thanks to those kind ones. To the rest of you I DID USE SEARCH AND GOT BUMPKISS! I tried snow, snow tires, and winter. BIOYA!
Rally Yellow, Black Stripes and Ground Effects, 20" Polished Aluminum Rims, MGW Shifter, Custom Engine Cover, K&N CAI Series 69 Typhoon, Borla Exhaust, Tinted Windows, Heritage Grille, Subwoofer system, Trunk Mat, Trunk Organizer, UltraShield Clear Vinyl, Camaro SS license Plate Covers, "BY BY" Personalized Plates.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
mkeeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetReporter View Post
Amen.

SEARCH. SEARCH. SEARCH.

This topic has been posted and answered again and again.

Every week it's "driving in snow?" and "auto or stick?" or "V6 or V8?"

SEARCH. SEARCH. SEARCH!
Then why did u read the thread? It was pretty clear by the title what it was. I did search and got no results. Don't be a jerk!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
mkeeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
I tried the search and go not results. I loathe people who read threads just to be a jerk! Be constructive not destructive!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2016 Camaro #182300 | 2SS | HBM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo

No problem with the right tires - I've got the Pirelli scorpion ice and snow tires.

My Journals:
Erick's Mistress - Violet 2016 2SS
#182300 | 2SS | HBM |
Erick’s Mistress - 2010 2LT
#8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM | Litho #165 |
efpardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inclement weather, snow, snow tires, winter