Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
erikpilon

Drives: Black 2012 RS
Wife too light to activate airbags?

Hello everyone,

I had a quick question about the airbag light that appears on the top.

My wife weighs 98 lbs - 102 lbs (44.5 kg - 46 kg), every time she sits in the passenger seat, the light that displays airbag is always "off". Even if she puts her purse on herself.

Now, SOMETIMES it goes "on" randomly on some days (once every 2 weeks let's say), but then would turn back "off" after 5 mins. But by brothers and friends sit there sometimes and it's always "on" with no fault, as a result, she seems to be gauging her "weight gain" by the light.

Is this something that can be fixed? Bringing to the dealer and ask to increase sensitivity of the sensor?

I've read the manual, and it says that for safety reasons, when a baby seat is detected, the airbag will be set to "off". But come on guys. I'm sure that there are no baby seats that can reach up to 50 lbs.

What do you guys think?
erikpilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Definitely worth a call into the dealership. How tall is she? That's more important than the weight, as far as airbags are concerned.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
dozSS

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Something is wrong with it then. 98 lbs should still activate it. Maybe the pressure switch is in a poor spot for the way she sits? I do not know if they can increase the sensitivity or not but if they can then that is probably what you should do. My wife was the same weight at one time and they came on.
dozSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
clashley1976

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS M6
Either she is not sitting in the seat correctly (too much weight on the seat back instead of the cushion) or something is wrong. My ten-year - old daughter weighs much less than that and she arms the airbag when she's in the front seat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
CAI intake, VTC, VMax PTB, VMax Iceolator, Apex intake scoop, Roto-Fab washer bottle relocate
Build Journal: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419992

clashley1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Very interesting question. My 11 year old is right around 101, he does not arm it. My 10 year old is 104 and he does. I can't imagine it is that sensitive to weight. BTW The 11 year old is aprox 3-4 inches taller than the 10 year old. I always assumed it was a load cell, but who knows lol.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
erikpilon

Drives: Black 2012 RS
Well, did some research and found this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122468

Seems like GM already knows about the issue and won't do a call-back because of the price. They would prefer a lawsuit if an accident happens.

Someone in the thread also explains that she and her husband have been in a head-on accident and her airbag (as a passenger) didn't go off, but all others yes...

I couldn't possibly think how I would feel if I survived a crash but my wife died because of this stupid bug that everyone knows about, then go through the lawsuit in a cloudy mind.

Seems like I will be enjoying my Camaro less for the rest of my life by not accelerating so fast...
erikpilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:37 AM   #7
gnduoxiey

Drives: camaro
BTW The 11 year old is aprox 3-4 inches taller than the 10 year old. I always assumed it was a load cell, but who knows
gnduoxiey is offline   Reply With Quote