Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #29
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Hey guys, to get back on topic here, I am just trying to determine what would be the best option for the stock LS3. The maggie, whipple or the T76 turbo setup.

I have already acquired some of the parts for the LSX 427 build I was planning and I have a different thread if you guys want to check that out.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187647
The main reason the LSX is on hold is I want to get my 68 restored and ready to drop the LS3 in whan it comes out of the 2010. I also want to get all of the drivetrain on the 2010 built before dropping in the 427.

Also I have not had good experiences with nitrous and I want to stay away from it.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac

Last edited by K1SSRSS; 03-22-2012 at 09:28 AM.
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #30
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyblueSS View Post
I agree with a few things you said but I don't think you are giving the LS3 much credit. They are strong motors and will take tons of abuse. Its all in the tune. There are stock bottom end LS1 cars on LS1 Tech being sprayed with 250-300hp shots of nitrous and living. There are many cars on here running 650-700rwhp with no problems. Its better to be forged but not everybody has the funds to do so, especially with the cost of a supercharger or turbo. As long as you stick to conservative boost levels and have a good tune the LS3 will live for many miles.
I agree with you as well, but every single engine has it's own personality. Lot's of LS3's are boosted and living, just as many or more are dead.
Mine was doing 680rwhp. @ about 7.5psi., largest pulley we could find (we de-tuned from 740), it was a moderate tune, I always used 94oct. (in Canada), fuel, IAT's always very normal, entire head assembly was re-built except for exhaust valves and that was all it took to smoke my engine into the ground. One "hollow" valve bent and smacked cylinder. There was no warnings, no lights, no knocking, no issues one day on the hwy. doing 120kph. and that was the end of the show, probably 3-4psi. if that, all it took was one high rev. accelleration (at that moment), next thing I'm on a flat-bed on the way to the shop.

While mine is dead, a friend of mine has exact same setup (same boost, same S/C, same springs, same rocker, same shop, headers, et al), doing same amount of HP / TQ, and he's still happily driving around.

It's not as simple to say the LS3 will hold boost with a good tune, because there are other factors, some people really don't drive the vehicle to it's max, so never hit 4k/rpm. so engine will never get to the max hp so no worries on a boosted engine that never sees more than 300hp. on the way to work or the grocery store, there's no guarantees it will hold because it is not built for boost. Some people are lucky, some are not and regardless if you boost the engine it will not last as long as it would NA esxpecially if you're a driver, not a poser or dyno queen.

Believe me I'm fully aware of how much it costs to forge / stroke and engine and throw on an SC, it's not an easy undertaking for the faint at heart, or someone who plans to take a loan or charge it to their credit card. If it did not happen to me (failed engine) I would have been saying the same thing as you, "it all depends on the skills of the shop you use and the tune"; The shop I go to is the best in the industry they were building race cars for a living (and still do) before jumping into mainstream, all they build-up are high end performance vehicles (every brand you can imagine), they have experience with TT's, SC's, LS3, LS7, LS9, LSA (all brands) and have built epic Camaro's and Corvettes, that are setting new prcedences in the industry, however, you can't extract luck out of the equation. I would put them right up there with the best shops in North America (in my mind there are maybe only 2 or 3 I would deal with), and even out of those, if they told me they never had a disaster i'd move on to the next shop because "honesty" is important to me when doing business. My shop was always honest, and informed me right up front that boost on LS3 is a measured risk and there has been some failures.

When you boost the LS3 on stock bottom end @ 10.5:1 comprssion with parts all tested for NA you're taking a risk, that is the bottom line, and even if 100 builds completed at some point a few are going to fail right up front, while others will take longer and maybe some may last a lifetime.

It's an "informed" decision, some of us learned through trial and error but can only share those experiences and let poeple make their own decisions. If I could do it over again, I would have stroked and forged my LS3 and saved myself a lot of grief and $$,$$$. I have yet to hear of a forged / stroked LS3 failure, but I've heard of many and experienced for myself a stock boosted LS3 in the dumpster.

Last edited by calbert1999; 01-08-2012 at 12:17 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #31
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
What shop do you use Calbert?
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #32
TurboneticsSL

Drives: Turbocharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
Just curious is there a significant difference in power potential between the complete system and the tuner system on a stock LS3, in my area I don't really have to worry about being 50 state legal and there are no smog or emmisions checks.
There's a zero power potential difference between the two as they are identical (minus the parts that are not included in the tuner system). Same ceramic ball bearing 76mm turbocharger is included in both systems.

Since you are not concerned with smog/emissions, I recommend the tuner system so that it can be fine tuned with anything else that you're planning on installing (cam, meth/water injection, deletion of cats, etc).
TurboneticsSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #33
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
I have the Turbonetics kit on my car and love it. It is a well designed, organized kit that provides great power. Also, the staff there have been awesome, and the owner always shows his support, especially for camaros (he came to one of our clubs local events crazy early in the morning just to hang. He's a great guy and always love to talk cars). You can't go wrong with most supercharger or turbo kits for this car, but it depends on what you want. Some people prefer one over the other for various reasons. I do love my kit however, as it feels relatively stock when driving under 3000 rpm's, and after that it's a beast with tons of torque and the sound is freaking amazing. I've even had people roll down there windows on the freeway asking me to spool it up so they could hear it, lol. Good luck with whatever choice you make as you'll be happy either way.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #34
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
If I can help you with your purchase or decision, let me know! Both Turbonetics and Magnuson are practically in my backyard!
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #35
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Well after much tedious research, I think I have decided to go with the turbo kit. Just seems like superchargers are becoming pretty common and I would like something a little different.

Can any body attest to the reliability difference, if say I tune and run this kit with enough boost to make 600 whp vs maybe being a little more conservitive and keeping it around the 500-550 whp mark.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #36
stangkilr

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I'd love to do the Turbonetics system. I wonder if it works with LT headers. I am going to run an Aeromotive pump, 90lb injectors and E85. Should be able to take it pretty far.
stangkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #37
TurboneticsSL

Quote:
Well after much tedious research, I think I have decided to go with the turbo kit. Just seems like superchargers are becoming pretty common and I would like something a little different.

Can any body attest to the reliability difference, if say I tune and run this kit with enough boost to make 600 whp vs maybe being a little more conservitive and keeping it around the 500-550 whp mark.
Good choice! You're going to love it. I still remember driving one of our R&D cars a while back. It was so much fun.

There are several owners with the turbo system on this forum with the included CARB legal tune and a custom one. Our customers (end users and shops) frequently let us know of their satisfaction with the performance, driveability, and packaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangkilr View Post
I'd love to do the Turbonetics system. I wonder if it works with LT headers. I am going to run an Aeromotive pump, 90lb injectors and E85. Should be able to take it pretty far.
While we have not tested it, we're almost certain that the long tube headers will NOT work. The clearance is extremely tight, as you can see below:

Old 03-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #38
stangkilr

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Yeah, im going to throw manifolds back on for this after reading more. I have heard a lot of good things from this kit. Id like to be around 700rwhp through the auto.
stangkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #39
jp63vette

Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS/RS
I love my T-76 kit. Made 572hp/605tq on a safe tune at about 7.5 lbs of boost. Here is a pic of the air intake I used instead of the factory. No heat problems. The shop I had do it used a ton extra heat wrap and a badass turbo blanket. So far it's awesome! And the stealth factor is pretty incredible also...

Old 03-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #40
TurboneticsSL

Looks great JP! Turbonetics power! Woo!

Wow, it's been a while since I've seen the HKS style mushroom air filter. Nice!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #41
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
Quote:

get a BaP or a ZL1 pump....you can tune for 600 whp and turn the boost down for 500-550 and when you want more power, just turn it up.....your car will make tons of torque, so don't be so concerned about hp, I ran high 10's with less than 600 whp because of my car make so much torque.....btw - my turbos have 20k miles on them....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #42
TurboCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS - Turbocharged
Quote:

Make the trip to Simi Valley and you can test drive our car, once you do you will be hooked.
TurboCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote