Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Jmikestlmo

Drives: 2010 Camaro
2010 Camaro Blue Smoke on Startup

I have a 2010 Camaro with 600 miles, when the car sits for 24 hrs or more when I use the remote start it blows out blue smoke from the exhaust for about 4 to 5 seconds. I have contacted the dealer and they tell me it is normaL AND IT HAS TO GO THROUGH A BREAK IN PERIOD. I had them start 2 other cars on their lot, both 3.6L v6 and neither one did this. They stated not all have to take this time to seat. I have contacted GM to get NO help. I have had the car since December 26th 2009 and am NOT happy with the several problems I am having with the car thus far. I also have had to have the automatic seat heaters programed 3 times and it does not hold the memory. I am also having a leak in the front of the engine , but the dealer can not figure out where or what is leaking, but I have 2 20 inch diameter spots on my driveway to prove the problem.I have asked several times to exchange my car under the 60 day return policy with NO help from GM.
Jmikestlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Lucky SOB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Blue smoke = motor burning oil

Find another dealer if you can
Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
DCv2

Drives: ...working on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky SOB View Post
Blue smoke = motor burning oil
DCv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
Jmikestlmo

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I am taking it to another dealer Monday. I love my car, but I am not happy about the problems I am having
Jmikestlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
RCLapCar

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 HB/JB
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the leaking fluid might have something to do with the smoke. Probably a bad gasket somewhere in the engine letting some fluids through.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
What fluid is leaking? The color of it?
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Smoke out the pipes wouldn't have anything to do with an external leak.

I'd look at them separate. What color is the fluid that drips? Put something down light colored like some cardboard with some white paper on top. The color, feel, and smell of what is dripping should help narrow that down. Then, for more help if the source is difficult to see, there is dye available for every fluid under the hood that can be put in and then a special light used by the tech to locate to offending leakage. Remind them to use the dye if they are just scratching their heads.

Exhaust smoke on start up. May or may not be a problem. When I was a dealer tech I saw plenty of new cars puff a little smoke on start up for the first couple hundred of miles until break in. Very noticeable when using a remote start and there is lights shining right through the exhaust vapors.
If it had a couple thousand miles on it, still noticeably smoking and also noticeably burning oil on the dipstick - then I'd really be concerned and be digging into the cause.

Another factor - on cold starts newer emisions regs force these cars to go real rich on a cold start to get the cat convertors to fire off quick. You'll notice newer cars if you start them cold in your garage really stink, they are richer than heck that first minute or two. Gas and oil are very related, a really rich cold start could show a little blueish especially if shining a light through it. On the dealer lot, when moving new cars around in the dark, I've been behind many new cars firing up and seen a little blue tinge in my headlights in their tailpipe smoke.

Cars that have been moved around the lot a few times and not really driven much, can have some raw gas in the oil diluting things down. Often those cars just need some good highway miles to burn off the crap from all the cold starts and parking lot musical chairs. If the oil really smells like gas, an oil change would be best. I've seen that happen a few times.
Changed the oil and all was good.

I'd do this. At 1000 miles, top the oil off. It should be more than broken in then, and not noticeably burning or losing oil. Make sure it is right at the full mark. Then at 2000 miles recheck the oil level, makes sure it sits engine off on the level for at least 15 minutes. If it's down a qt then and still giving that blue smoke on start up, they should really dig into why.

Good luck
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
CamaroSS1969

Drives: 1971 Chevelle SS 454
Valve stem seals use to be a culprit for this very thing.. I don't know what GM is using for stem seals anymore..
CamaroSS1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Drive it hard for a while. Set them piston rings and see if the smoke goes away.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #10
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yeah but he has a leak, if they do not fix that something could blow.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
MarkC5

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS
The smoke can also be caused by the poor PVC system on these cars and others as well. Not sure if it is the same on the V-6, but my intake at just over 500 miles was covered with oil(looked when I put my CAI on). Had the same issue on my SRT-8 and adding a catch can stopped it.

Basically the PVC allows not only gases back into the intake, but also oil. If it pools in the intake and if you are parked on a slight incline the oil can run down one of the runners into one of the cylinders. Start it up and blue smoke.

Just a thought.
MarkC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Yep, you need to go to another dealer, you have a issue that neeeds to be taken care of no ifs ands or buts. Sorry your dealer is an IDIOT.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
research catch can. LS engines are famous for alot of recirculated oil that is set back into the intake manifold. Take off intake pipe look inside the intake. Bet there will be alot of oil in there.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Sorry to hear about the problems you're having. As others have suggested the dealer should be more helpful in finding and repairing the leak. My LT1 in a '96 T/A developed a leak from the front seal. The dealer added some dye to the oil to isolate the leak. They didn't give my any grief about the problem and took care of it. You should be able to tell if it is oil, antifreeze, or transmission fluid by just looking at it. If you can determine the fluid type before taking it in, it will speed up the process.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote