Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 03-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
achalk

Drives: 2SS/RS+GFX/black/black
Dealership issues...Any constructive input would be helpful

So I placed my order with an out-of-state dealership months ago, as I had a friend who's place/order I was able to take, within the process. I was told GM accepted my order on 01/15 (I assume that meant the preliminary order), and I was given a 6 digit #. At this point, I thought something was wrong, b/c I would have assumed if I took the place of someone who ordered back in October, I'd have an October or Novermber date. I have not signed anything, but I'm being told I will get the car at MSRP pricing. I did place a $1000 deposit.

I have been waiting patiently for today (production day), as I kept hearing this is the day I can get solid status on the builds/allocations (though I know many on the forum already know you can get it any time, as long as your dealer is up-to-date on the process).

After calling twice this morning, the GM Service Center couldn't provide me any info, just referring me to the dealership. I called the dealership, asking to speak with the Sales Manager, and I couldn't believe the lack of info he provided to me (I figured it was just my sales person). I asked about what allocation my order has in reference to his guide numbers. He said "they are all the same, and your guess is as good as mine on how GM pulls the orders". He had no idea, not even a ballpark, as to when any of the orders would arrive. He stated they all had "1" order #s, which meant a sold order. At least I know my order is sold, I guess.

Shouldn't all the dealerships have a method of prioritizing orders within the system? How is it that a dealership wouldn't have any of this info?

Like most of you, I've been obsessing over this car, and now it seems I have no idea when I might see it. Heck, if it's late in the summer, I might as well have waited to just order one after seeing it, rather than pre-ordering.

Anyone else had this problem with the dealership, and been able to rectify it? Any ideas on how to gain more info from the dealership? If the Sales Manager is clueless, who else should I talk to?
achalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
You can walk them through it.

Tell them to pull up GM Workbench (aka dealerworld and gm global connect)

Tell them to click on the "Workbenches" tab, then "order"

then about half way down the page under "manage inventory" click "view orders: preliminary"

On the next screen he needs to specify 2010 for ythe model year
Chevrolet for the division
distribution entity should be "all"
allocation group is "Cam"
order type should be "all"
then he should click "get data"

From there he can click through prelim, placed, in system, in transit, in stock, or all.

If he can't follow these steps, I don't know what to tell you.

Good Luck!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Mac1

Drives: 2004 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post

then about half way down the page under "manage inventory" click "view orders: preliminary"

From there he can click through prelim, placed, in system, in transit, in stock, or all.

Good Luck!
That says it all! Good job Chevyrocker!
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1 View Post
That says it all! Good job Chevyrocker!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by achalk View Post
So I placed my order with an out-of-state dealership months ago, as I had a friend who's place/order I was able to take, within the process. I was told GM accepted my order on 01/15 (I assume that meant the preliminary order), and I was given a 6 digit #. At this point, I thought something was wrong, b/c I would have assumed if I took the place of someone who ordered back in October, I'd have an October or Novermber date. I have not signed anything, but I'm being told I will get the car at MSRP pricing. I did place a $1000 deposit.

I have been waiting patiently for today (production day), as I kept hearing this is the day I can get solid status on the builds/allocations (though I know many on the forum already know you can get it any time, as long as your dealer is up-to-date on the process).

After calling twice this morning, the GM Service Center couldn't provide me any info, just referring me to the dealership. I called the dealership, asking to speak with the Sales Manager, and I couldn't believe the lack of info he provided to me (I figured it was just my sales person). I asked about what allocation my order has in reference to his guide numbers. He said "they are all the same, and your guess is as good as mine on how GM pulls the orders". He had no idea, not even a ballpark, as to when any of the orders would arrive. He stated they all had "1" order #s, which meant a sold order. At least I know my order is sold, I guess.

Shouldn't all the dealerships have a method of prioritizing orders within the system? How is it that a dealership wouldn't have any of this info?

Like most of you, I've been obsessing over this car, and now it seems I have no idea when I might see it. Heck, if it's late in the summer, I might as well have waited to just order one after seeing it, rather than pre-ordering.

Anyone else had this problem with the dealership, and been able to rectify it? Any ideas on how to gain more info from the dealership? If the Sales Manager is clueless, who else should I talk to?

Your story is not unusual and does not cause any alarm. You have a 6 digit confirmation number so you have a sold order. Now you will wait for the order to be picked up by the factory when they have a slot available that your car will fit into based on your options chosen. If your car has options on it that are not available for production that week for what ever the reason, your order will not be picked up that week and the dealer may put a different car order in that production slot.

Relax and enjoy the undefined waiting game. It seems odd that they can't give a satisfactory answer but that is what we have to work with. All systems are go but there isn't a count down for your order yet.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
achalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Your story is not unusual and does not cause any alarm. You have a 6 digit confirmation number so you have a sold order. Now you will wait for the order to be picked up by the factory when they have a slot available that your car will fit into based on your options chosen. If your car has options on it that are not available for production that week for what ever the reason, your order will not be picked up that week and the dealer may put a different car order in that production slot.

Relax and enjoy the undefined waiting game. It seems odd that they can't give a satisfactory answer but that is what we have to work with. All systems are go but there isn't a count down for your order yet.

-Mark.
First, thanks ChevyRocker. I'll give that a try.

Stingr69, I hear ya ...I am not so much concerned with whether or not I have an order, but more where it lies in the allocation for the dealership ("x" out of "y" orders, and "z" has currently been pulled for April consensus). I don't have any known constraints and I ordered the 2SS. One would think this wouldn't be too hard to get, but if they have no priority on the orders, who knows.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
achalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post

Good Luck!
Rocker or anyone,

Where in the above would it show the event code and allotment #(s) for a given order?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
yesno20102ssblack

Drives: 2011 2SS Camaro Red
Hello
Yes they can place a priority even to a sold order I ordered cars for a Chevrolet store for 15 years
some dealers just use 1 and do not worry about it they figure GM will just go by the date the order was put in the order bank
Which is not necessarily true if the oldest order has a constraint the system will skip over it and go the the next oldest (they are suppose to place the sold order and attach a priority number to them )

which is why it's important to have dealer who is a good communicator
You need to talk to the person who handles the ordering at the dealership it is not always the New Car Sales manager
They hopefully are trained well and can answer your questions about the order and then can contact you about making changes to your order to get it placed more quickly
example : you ordered blue and blue is not available for production
I would tell the person who handles the order "you have my permission" to change it to yellow or white or some other 2nd choice color the more flexible you can be the sooner you will get your car
they may even skip over some who is not flexible and place your order sooner
Otherwise your order may not get placed before your dealer runs out of this first round of allocations and you could be waiting a very long time
Richard
yesno20102ssblack is offline   Reply With Quote